AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey Drawing - Please help

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
jillkWLWN8
2426 Views, 3 Replies

Survey Drawing - Please help

I am trying to draw a plat map in AutoCAD Architecture according to the provided survey points on the plat map I was given but it is not showing up accurately. There are slight inaccuracies and I am not sure why? Please see attached documents: 1) Plat Map 2) My drawing.  

I have DYNMODE on and I am entering the lines in the following format:

L (line command) @198'<S27D6'W (example)

However, you will see on the attached PDF I have circled in red the dimensions that are not matching up with the plat. 

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
MarySeufert
in reply to: jillkWLWN8

Welcome to the world of map closure errors.  Not having the drawing will make this hard to figure out.  Often older maps do not close in as precise a way as we can make them now.  I would also deduce that the line dimension of 65.0' along the public right of way for lots 5 & 6 is not accurate at all.  Lots 2 & 3 have a much more believable dimension considering the angles involved. 

To get your dimensions reading in the right format, set the dimension primary units format to decimal feet and angular to deg/min/sec. 

Potential problem:  Surveying is in feet - not inches. You might have some issues with the drawings unit settings. ACA templates are not really a good starting off point for drawing survey maps.

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 3 of 4
jillkWLWN8
in reply to: MarySeufert

"To get your dimensions reading in the right format, set the dimension primary units format to decimal feet and angular to deg/min/sec."

This helped me, and shows that my angles are actually correct. 

"Often older maps do not close in as precise a way as we can make them now.  I would also deduce that the line dimension of 65.0' along the public right of way for lots 5 & 6 is not accurate at all.  Lots 2 & 3 have a much more believable dimension considering the angles involved."

I guess I will have to go off what I have. I have drawn maps before and never run across these kind of issues but they were newly platted so maybe that is why (more accurate like you suggest)? 

I don't like it when things like this are not 100% accurate it makes me uneasy that something will go wrong in the field as a result. 

I appreciate your response. 

Message 4 of 4
MarySeufert
in reply to: jillkWLWN8

@jillkWLWN8 wrote:

I don't like it when things like this are not 100% accurate it makes me uneasy that something will go wrong in the field as a result. 

If this has legal implications, I would suggest the client have a licensed surveyor rectify the map.  There are definitely errors on it.  Don't know the situation but I would at least make sure all parties are aware.

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost