Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select all objects in multiple layers

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
12397 Views, 8 Replies

Select all objects in multiple layers

I want to select all objects in several layers (let's say 4 layers).

Why is something utterly straightforward like this so stunningly complicated in AutoCAD?

FILTER does not show any options or a dialog. Not sure why not. 

QSELECT only allows me to select all objects in the entire drawing. Not sure why the hell that's useful. 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Alexander.Rivilis
in reply to: Anonymous

(sssetfirst nil (ssget "_X" '((8 . "Layer1,Layer2,Layer3,Layer4"))))

Try this code in commandline. Only change bold string with your layers delimited with comas.

Відповідь корисна? Клікніть на "ВПОДОБАЙКУ" цім повідомленням! | Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Находите сообщения полезными? Поставьте "НРАВИТСЯ" этим сообщениям!
На ваше запитання відповіли? Натисніть кнопку "ПРИЙНЯТИ РІШЕННЯ" | Have your question been answered successfully? Click "ACCEPT SOLUTION" button.
На ваш вопрос успешно ответили? Нажмите кнопку "УТВЕРДИТЬ РЕШЕНИЕ"

Alexander Rivilis / Александр Ривилис / Олександр Рівіліс
Programmer & Teacher & Helper / Программист - Учитель - Помощник / Програміст - вчитель - помічник
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn
Expert Elite Member

Message 3 of 9
Victoria.Studley

Hi @Anonymous,

Welcome to the Autodesk Community, and thank you for posting your question here in the AutoCAD Architecture forum!

I'm just checking in to see if you need more help with this. Did the suggestion that @Alexander.Rivilis provided work for you?

If not (or if you don't want to use code to accomplish this), you could also use the QSELECT command to select all objects on one layer, then use it again to add to the selection set all of the objects on another layer.

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Victoria Studley
Principal Experience Designer - Fusion
Fusion 360 | Learn & Support
Documentation | Contact Support
Message 4 of 9
Vinayv4v

Hello,

Use LAYERISOLATE & LAYERUNISOLATE.

LAYI > Select one object from each layer you need

LAYUN to restore back.

Or use SELECTSIMILAR 

Cheers,

Vinay Vijayakumaran

Message 5 of 9
dbroad

You've gotten several good answers.  Your assertion about qselect though is incorrect.  You can filter by layer with qselect and can build a selection by several executions of qselect. 

2017-10-10_10-33-07.png

You can also use the layer manager to isolate whatever combination of layers you want. Beginners should note that nested objects cannot be selected except by ncopy.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: dbroad

This is the solution that makes the most sense from a UX and task logic standpoint. 

Still, I find it infuriating and baffling that something so simple requires any procedure beyond a single click. It would be easy to add such a thing to the layer manager. 

Thank you for all the help, community!

Message 7 of 9
stevenXGGTQ

Yes, for any CAD developers, please see Rhino's "Select Objects" and "Select Sublayer Objects" Layer manager functionality 

Message 8 of 9
ziga_volavsek

Another way to do it:

1. Hide or freeze layers with objects you don't want to select
  2. Select all remaining objects (ctrl+A)
Message 9 of 9
jskalaXDDX5

I agree that Filter options seem to me to be a bit limited.  At one point I wanted a way to create a CUI macro that would Erase everything on a chosen Layer.  I tried Filters but ended up having better luck using Layer States.

But my workflow only requires a hand full of Layers and I always assumed Layer States might not be convenient for drafters using many Layers.

But @ziga_volavsek 's post on Ctrl A made me re-evaluate that.  I think a reasonable approach could be:

Layer Properties Manager, Ctrl A to select all Layers, Lock Icon to Lock all Layers 

Layer States Manager, create and save New Layer State (with all Layers Locked)

Edit Layer State to unlock the Layers you want to select

Double click to set the Layer State current and use Ctrl A to select the content on those Layers.

Not one click, but faster than Filter and the Layer State can be updated and edited...

Thanks for posting, @ziga_volavsek!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report