AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section not generated properly when using 3D blocks

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
delwer
529 Views, 6 Replies

Section not generated properly when using 3D blocks

I have a room inside which I dragged some 3D furniture from Design Center. When I attempted a Section, the walls were well sectioned but the 3D furniture only shows the topmost face, as if it's a 2D model. What happened?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dbroad
in reply to: delwer

When you say Designcenter, are you referring to AutoCAD content or ACA content?  Only Mvblocks are designed display properly in various views.  If the blocks are truly 3d solids, they should do OK though.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 3 of 7
delwer
in reply to: dbroad

It seems to be ACA content, based on the path Custom Applications - AutoCAD Architecture - Gobal - Design - Domestic Furniture - Bedroom - 3D Single Bed. Also, it is an MVB, so why doesn't it display properly?

Some new info: the section discussed above was begun and finished in the Top view - it didn't go well. Since then I tried once more, with the exact same block, and I noticed that if the section is performed from start to finish in a 3D view (like SW Isometric), it succeeds - the bed remains 3D after sectioning. Any ideas as to why?

Also, where could I go in ACA to find ready-made assets that are real 3D solids?

Thanks.

Message 4 of 7
dbroad

It's impossible to determine a problem with that little data.  Post a small section of the file and the process you are using to recreate the problem. A screencast might help as well.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 5 of 7
delwer
in reply to: dbroad

Here is the process, step-by-step:

[All these are performed on a default installation of ACA, except for chaging installation drive and adding Express Tools. Then I ran Reset Settings].

-Start ACA- Start Drawing.

-Make sure the ViewCube reads Top and stays there, unless otherwise specified.

-In DesignCenter; go to Custom Applications - AutoCAD Architecture - Gobal - Design - Domestic Furniture - Bedroom.

-Drag "3D Single Bed" into drawing.

-Click Home - Section Line; draw just one segment, intersecting the MVB; Enter; default length.

-Select the section; click on Generate Section.

-In the dialog box: Result Type=3D Section; click on select object - select the bed.

-For Placement - Pick (any) Point.

-The rest of the parameters are the default ones.

-A flat, red, representation of the sectioned bed appears.

-Change the view or ViewCube to SW Isometric.

The original bed becomes 3D; the sectioned one remains flat. What happened?

Message 6 of 7
David_W_Koch

After changing to the SW Isometric view, select the 3D Section object, and, on the 3D Section/Elevation contextual ribbon tab, on the Modify panel, select the Regenerate tool.  The regenerated section should show the bed in 3D.2017-02-14_ACA2017_3DSectionTest01.png

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 7 of 7
delwer
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Now it works as it should. Thanks again.

But why does Regenerate help misleadingly state: "Use this procedure to update a 2D or 3D section to reflect changes you have made to the building model or to section line properties"?

I only changed the view, not the building model or the section line properties?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost