AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OLE object and system registry

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
13496 Views, 6 Replies

OLE object and system registry

Using ACA 2010x64 and windows 7x64, when I try to insert as an OLE object a particular PDF document, I'm given the message "Failed to create object. Make sure the object is entered in the system registry." Can someone tell me how to do that?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Desceribe in more detail your ste-by-step method of getting a PDF in your DWG as a OLE?

Why not just attach the PDF as a reference?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I choose "insert an OLE object", select "from a file" when asked, select the PDF file and choose an insertion point. The reason I use this method is that my client requires CAD drawings with no xrefs and this method is the only way to embed a graphic image in the drawing.

Message 4 of 7
pendean

Start INSERTOBJ command

Choose Create New

Then Choose Adobe Acrobat Document (or whatever you use for a PDF viewer)

a new pop-up appears and you select the file you want to include

It should appear in AutoCAD at the same time the reader opens that file.

OR

Open the PDF file.

Use the Camera Capture tool in your PDF viewer (they all have them, and the icon and name of the tool seems to be universally called Camera).

Window the area you wish to capture, make sure you are zoomed in to compensate for any fuzzies your reader exhibits.

Now open your DWG file, CTRL+P. OLE is in.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Thanks, Dean. I'll give that a try. 99% of the time the method I described works fine for me; it's just this one obstinate little file.....

Message 6 of 7
garryacad
in reply to: pendean

I don't understand why your directions say use the "create new" option and not "create from file" option.  Does create from file not work?  what you suggest does not work for me.  I've tried several different options -different pdf's, start with different 2d drawings, etc. and none of them work.  I tried what you outlined and as soon as I hit OK in the "Insert Object, Create new" window, it pops up the same error msg.  Does it have something to do with the version of or settings in Acrobat Reader?

I've been struggling with this for days and contacting tech supt and still no answers.  EMBED instead of underlay is an options we want to try because when we use underlay, none of our viewers including DWGtrueview will consistently show the pdf inside our title block (all we see is the title block).  If the viewers actually allowed viewing of the pdf underlay, I wouldn't even be messing with the EMBED.

thanks.

Message 7 of 7
garryacad
in reply to: garryacad

I figured it out.

It appears that it was a setting in Acrobat Reader XI. Under; Edit, Preferences, Security (Enhanced) – UN-check the “Enable Enhanced Security” box to allow Autocad to do what it needs to:

Garry

PS - the Create from file still doesn't work but Create new does.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report