AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mesh to solid

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
FlorianNoell83
129 Views, 5 Replies

mesh to solid

Hello everyone,

I construct trade fair stands and often use furniture and furnishings from third-party providers such as “Fundus7”.  When I import the blocks into the project, they are usually polysurface meshes or meshes.

Now when I create views or sections, all the lines of the mesh are visible. On the one hand, this isn't nice and (depending on how much furniture I use in the project) it doesn't save much resources either.

Is there a way to convert these to solids or adjust the display so that only the outlines are visible?

Thank you for any help!!

Best regards

Florian Noell

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: FlorianNoell83

@FlorianNoell83 wrote:

...Is there a way to convert these to solids ...

HELP in the program is a good place to find an answer to your question, I'll get you started here

https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-45E37A82-3175-4F20-A5F7-316C46DBEBBB

and

https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-7990D01B-F913-497A-8623-631646AF135B 

Message 3 of 6
odin

Since you are using AutoCAD Architecture, the question should probably be “Can I convert these Mesh Objects into AecObjects?” and the answer is yes (if you are lucky).  The AecMassElementConvert command can create a Mass Element from Mesh Objects, AutoCAD Solids and other AecObjects (use FacetDev to control “smoothness” before conversion).  Mass Elements can also be converted to Solids via ConvertTo3DSolids.

If the Mesh Objects are relatively simple and form closed shapes you should have pretty good luck converting them.  If, for example, your table and chairs is a single Mesh Object that only gives you individual faces when Exploded the chances of conversion tends to decline (IMO) and curved surfaces tend to convert directly leaving the same amount of mesh linework.  If you can work with individual components as Mesh Objects, such as a single Chair Leg, Seat, Table Base, etc. conversion should be productive.

If you can get an acceptable conversation to Mass Elements, I recommend making a Block of it and doing a little more work to create a Top (Plan View) for use in your floor plans.

For Plan Views, use CreateHLR and generate a 2D Plan of the Object.  Clean this Object up with OverKill and general Linework editing or simply use it as something to trace over with Polylines. Set to ByBlock and save as a Block.

With a Plan Block and 3D Block ready, add them to a new MvBlock.

Odin Cary
Principal, ARCHIdigm
www.archidigm.com
Content Library Products now available for 2025

Message 4 of 6
R_Tweed

Converting externally created meshes into solids or mass elements will not necessarily give you the outline that you are want using the elevation or section command. There are a few options to consider.

1. flatshot. This might give you an outline of some items. You may have to add linework. This will take some time if you are extracting multiple items.

R_Tweed_0-1725636994355.png

2. Create a 3d section of the furniture, render or shade to image and re-import as an overlay. I use a similar process to create elevation shadows.

R_Tweed_1-1725637189887.png

3. Use the model given as a template to create 2d elevations and plan view for a mutli-view block.  Re-model the 3d elements using Autocad solid commands and add that as your model view block. This option is tedious, but the effort is done once and is more efficient in the long run.

Message 5 of 6
FlorianNoell83
in reply to: pendean

Yes, I tried that for a long time, but without success!

Thank you for the Answer

Best regards

Florian

Message 6 of 6

Englisch

Yes, I tried that for a long time, but without success.

Best regards
Florian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report