AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Materials tab has too few material definition

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
delwer
522 Views, 6 Replies

Materials tab has too few material definition

When trying to assign a material to a Wall, I opened the Wall Style - Materials tab. But the Material Definition list had only 2 entries, compared to the long list of materials in Mat. Browser. How can I get a more comprehensive list?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dbroad
in reply to: delwer

It is my understanding that this is as designed.  Not clogging drawing files with tons of materials saves disk space.  The material command will give you access to loading as many AEC materials as you probably need.  Once loaded, they are available in the wall style editor.  A better approach is to just use the wall style gallery to add other walls with the materials you want to use and then edit the wall style by adding components by copying from those other wall styles.

Don't mistake AEC materials with render materials, which rmat gives you  An AEC material is much more, and includes hatch patterns and display rules for section, elevation, and plan view types in addition to rendered appearance.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 3 of 7
delwer
in reply to: dbroad

I should clarify a bit:

I opened a New drawing. built an (AEC) Wall, and I want to change its default material(s), AEC or otherwise.

I go to Edit Style, Material tab. Both wall components there have "Standard" for material. I try to select another material from the Mat. Definition drop-down and there's only the "Standard" there, with no way to add or browse for another.

How do I make that list contain other materials?

(If need be, I can attach screenshots).

Message 4 of 7
dbroad

As I said before, this is as designed.  If you don't want to start with the huge library of pre-built walls styles in the style gallery or contentbrowser that have brick, GWB, concrete, concrete block, etc, then use the material command's define option.  By default the material definitions (imperial) drawing is open in the tree view pane (left). Click on the material definitions node in the current drawing and then click toggle view at the top. Then open the material definitions file by clicking on the plus symbol. Drag whatever material definitions you want to the current (lean styled) drawing.  They will then be in the current drawing. Once a material is in the drawing, it will be accessible in the wall style editor pull down.

Another way to create a style while in the wall style editor is to push the new style button on the material tab of the wall style editor.  Creating a new style from scratch however requires a very mature understanding of the entire display system (not recommended).

Message 5 of 7
delwer
in reply to: dbroad

@dbroad3 wrote:

pre-built walls styles in the style gallery

Where do I find the style gallery? I couldn't find about it in Help.

@dbroad3 wrote:

use the material command's define option.

What does it do, the Help file lists nothing on it? Optionally, is there another way to accomplish the same effect?

@dbroad3 wrote:

By default the material definitions (imperial) drawing is open in the tree view pane (left).

But I can't find this "material definitions (imperial) drawing" file. When I use material command's Define option, I only see one drawing open - my drawing. So I can't continue with the directions.
Message 6 of 7
dbroad

How long have you used ACA?  If this is your first time, then taking a class on it or getting a textbook like Mastering AutoCAD Architecture would be my suggestion.  That said, make sure your properties palette is on.  Choose wall add and select browse.  The styles palette will open up and you can easily access any style from the catalog.  Material define is a relatively obvious command sequence and dragging styles from one drawing to another is a basic skill requirement in ACA.  I am attaching a screencast with no video demonstrating a few actions (adding a standard wall, adding a wall using browse, adding a wall style, adding a component to a wall style, selecting a material, using the material define access into the style editor, etc. Forums are not a substitute for a class or a text though.

http://autode.sk/2kzJIks

Message 7 of 7
jeffrav1

Open up tool palettes and create a new tab say like wall materials.Open up materials browser under the render tab.There will be all kinds of materials in the Autodesk Library.Pick one and drag and drop new material into the new tool palette you created.Then right click on new material and click on convert to AEC Material. Follow instructions and in style manager  under materials the new material should be added to Material Definition drop down list.If this sounds confusing there are hundreds of videos on YouTube Good Luck jeffrav1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost