AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lines and Plines disapear when zooming

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
-Ryan-
3352 Views, 12 Replies

Lines and Plines disapear when zooming

Today when I draw a line or a pline the lines appears on the screen when I zoom. When I scroll the mouse wheel to zoom in and out the lines are disappearing. I have to type REGEN for them to reappear, then they disappear when I zoom again. I tried REGENAUTO and turned REGEN OFF, then back ON, no success. I shut down ACA and rebooted the computer, no success. What's happening?

added... The same with rectangles and circles. The layers are not frozen, nor turned off.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
dbroad
in reply to: -Ryan-

Try turning off your hardware accelerated graphics.  It is most likely a hardware issue.  If you want to keep some stuff on, try unchecking features one by one.  The issue might also relate to your visual style or your aec display settings.  Medium detail works best for me.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 3 of 13
pendean

LINEFADING and LINESMOOTHING variables may need to be turned off. Try that.
Message 4 of 13
-Ryan-
in reply to: pendean

Thanks guys for your replies. I tried both, but the existing drawing is still having issues. I had to make a new CONSTRUCT, copy everything from the drawing and paste it in the new CONSTRUCT. Results, good. I can draw like normal again.

Message 5 of 13
-Ryan-

It happened again. It started right after I clipped an XREF.

Message 6 of 13
gotphish001

Do you have a lot of other drawings in that project? If not maybe try making a new project and copy stuff over into it. I had a project go bonkers (technical term) one time. It wasn't very big, but would take over 2 minutes to save a drawing, on a regen I'd literally walk away from my computer and do something else because it was taking 10 minutes, and all kinds of other strange stuff. Something had to be corrupt so I copied the 4-7 drawings over into another new  project. Only took like 15 minutes and then everything worked normally again. Saves took a few seconds again etc...

Like mentioned it seems like it could be hardware issue. Might seem like an odd thing but sometimes mouse wheels have those notches, so it's not smooth scrolling. It's more in increments. I've had it be where things would vanish but if I zoomed in and out a few times to get the zoom notches offset from where they were a tiny bit then I could see those vanished things. Sometimes it seems like there's just a small hole in the zoom where you lose objects if you hit that spot just right. Which is all probably tied to the hardware things mentioned above. I would assume the lower the hardware's power the more these little nuances pop up. 

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 7 of 13
-Ryan-
in reply to: gotphish001

There are a lot of drawings on the Master CONSTRUCT. There's four of my own house plans, (6) XREF's, and smaller individual rooms - all for reference to design a new home. 

My system specs are as followed:

New Dell XPS15 9560

7th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor (6M cache, up to 3.8 GHz)

8GB DDR4-2400MHz

256GB PCIe Solid State Drive

NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5

Intel(R) HD Graphics 630

15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) InfinityEdge

Windows 10 Home-HE (64bit) English

Message 8 of 13
gotphish001

Computer looks plenty good to not have hardware problems. Does it only do it in that one construct? If you start a new drawing outside that project does it reproduce the problem or is only in that project?  You can try loading the file here so we get the same problems. I'm not sure how big of a dwg you can post. What I usually do when posting something that in a project with a bunch of x-refs is go into file explorer and make a copy of your construct file and name it with a "TEST" in front of the name so you don't mix it up. Then you can open the test one and right click on all the references and bind them, that way when you post it all the x-refs are there, but in one dwg. 

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 9 of 13
-Ryan-

I duplicated the construct. The .pdf XREF's came in (loaded), but the JPEG XREF's are there but unloaded. Do those needed to be put back in, if so, after I do input them how do I Bind them. I selected all XREF's, but the right click doesn't show BIND.

Message 10 of 13
David_W_Koch

Externally referenced image files cannot be bound.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 11 of 13
-Ryan-
in reply to: David_W_Koch

I used Photoshop to change all my JPEG's to PDF's and re- inserted the XREF's as PDF's. I removed all the JPEG's in the drawing. It's letting me draw without disappearing. The only issue with the picture PDF's, the quality is poor compared to the JPEG's. If the lines disappear again, I can upload the .dwg with the PDF's.

Message 12 of 13
gotphish001

So you think the jpegs were causing it somehow? Maybe something with different resolutions.  You can always leave the pdf ones in if you need them to draw or trace or whatever you are doing with them then after you are done drawing put the jpegs back in for the better quality and see if all the lines don't disappear.

I was caught in the circle of never ending x-refs today myself on a drawing that too many people had a hand in with x-refs on drives that didn't exist anymore. 4 hours and 30+ ACA crashes later and I got it to work. Sort of....   The moral is sometimes some little bug drives you nuts then it works and you're not even sure what you did to fix it. It's obviously some kind of magic.

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 13 of 13
-Ryan-

It's happening again. It's a new construct with only 2 PDF's. I've removed all the JPEG's and started inputting PDF's. As soon as I did a CLIP, it started again. You can start drawing on the plan, it may not disappear your CIRcles, RECtangles, and Lines you've drawn. Go ahead move the CLIPed PDF and/or CLIP the PDF's or remove the CLIP. Try drawing CIRcles, RECtangles, and Lines. Scroll in and out, they disappear. Type REGEN, they re-appear. Scroll again and they disappear. It looks like what I add after the CLIPping a JPEG or PDF the disappearing happens on the new things added.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost