AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Herringbone Hatch Pattern 8 x 36

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
10884 Views, 9 Replies

Herringbone Hatch Pattern 8 x 36

I am having problem  creating herringbone pattern for an  8 x 36 tile.  I can  make a herringbone pattern when the the length is divisible by the width, but in the case of 8 x 36 the typical formula doesn't work.

Thanks,

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
David_W_Koch
in reply to: Anonymous

Does this need to be at 45 degrees?  Or are you willing to rotate the pattern after the fact?

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 10
David_W_Koch

Here is a PAT file for an 8x36 herringbone pattern, oriented at 0 and 90 degrees.  Pardon the UNITS, VERSION and TYPE lines; I like to make my PAT files compatible with both AutoCAD and Revit.  Two sets of lines are required, since 8 does not divide evenly into 36 (but does divide evenly into 72).

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thanks david.

I knew that it would need take more than 2 sets of lines, but my pat knowledge doesn't extend past understanding 1 sets of lines.

Message 5 of 10
hugha

This equivalent 2-line pattern comes from filling in fields in HatchKit's Brick and tile wizard:

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;        Written by HatchKitCS Trial
;        HatchKitCS Trial (c) 2017 Cadro Pty Ltd
;        www.hatchkit.com.au/
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;-Date                                   : 22/06/2017
;-Time                                   : 1:10:57 PM
;-HatchKitCS Version                     : 3.1.10.2730
;-HatchKitCS Output Filetype             : AutoCAD format

*Herringbone8x36,LEFT-HAND 8"x36" weave=1/1
0,0,0,68,-4,44,-100
90,8,0,68,4,44,-100

hth,

Hugh

Message 6 of 10
David_W_Koch
in reply to: hugha

@hugha

Clever.  Would a two-line pattern noticeably improve performance over a four-line pattern on large hatch areas?  My brain tends toward multiple lines, rather than trying to find a workable y-offset.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 7 of 10
hugha

Your key word is "noticeably" and no, there will be no appreciable difference on today's machines between a two-stroke or four-stroke pattern despite the latter having marginally more clipping calculations to perform as such extra work would be minuscule compared with the overhead required to repaint the rest of the image. Chasing down any small redundancy such as this is next to pointless as hatch pattern performance is unimportant until it slows repainting or the pattern is so big its storage bloats the drawing file.  However some stone patterns out in the wild are needlessly huge either from internal redundancy or from including overly fine detail.   

There's an admirable and satisfying skill in manually finding ANY working Y offset for a skewed arrangement and those gifted with it can create patterns from scratch.  Lacking sufficiently reliable insight I wrote code to automate the task.

hth,

Hugh

Message 8 of 10
BMA-ADMIN

Hey mate,

Would you be able to do a 1000mm x 250mm butted herringbone? (The herring bone length is double though, Ive put a link below to my post explain it better)

Ive been trying for ages, I cant seem to get it. Here is the link to the post

@David_W_Koch wrote:

Here is a PAT file for an 8x36 herringbone pattern, oriented at 0 and 90 degrees.  Pardon the UNITS, VERSION and TYPE lines; I like to make my PAT files compatible with both AutoCAD and Revit.  Two sets of lines are required, since 8 does not divide evenly into 36 (but does divide evenly into 72).

I made earlier.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/butted-double-herringbone-pattern/m-p/835731...

Message 9 of 10
hugha
in reply to: BMA-ADMIN

FYI, this pattern has been posted to https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/butted-double-herringbone-pattern/m-p/835731...

to answer your contention that HatchKit was at all challenged by a simple herringbone arrangement.

;        Written by HatchKit
;        HatchKitCS (c)1990-2018 Cadro Pty Ltd
;        www.hatchkit.com.au
;-Date                                   : 25/10/2018
;-Time                                   : 11:30:10 AM
;-HatchKit Version                       : 3.1.11.2770
;-HatchKit Output Filetype               : Revit with HatchKit Add-In
;%VERSION=3.0
;%UNITS=MM
*Doubled250x1000mmHerringbone,RIGHT-HAND 250mmx1000mm weave=2/2
;%TYPE=MODEL
-45,-1591,1591,3750,250,2250,-1750
-135,1414.2,1767.8,3750,-250,2250,-1750
-45,530.33,883.88,3750,250,250,-3750
-135,-707.11,1060.7,3750,-250,250,-3750

thank you

Hugh Adamson

Cadro Pty Ltd.

Message 10 of 10
JohnHyslop
in reply to: hugha

Hi All

I thought as I also use AutoCad I should share with the AutoCad community as the Hatch Patterns are the same format
This is a full version "not crippled in any way" at the moment It has 6 patterns in it, my intention is to have a few tabs with basic instructions and easy to understand input with a diagram you can relate too..
Try and keep your patterns within 1inch x 1inch for imperial and 25mm x 25mm for metric
Things to do:-
Windows Version Runs In LINUX with WINE, very fast and stable..
see change log in zip file...Comments are welcome, new patterns will be added to next versions...
Enjoy
Cheers
John Hyslop

This is where I'm hosting and updating this file...

https://qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6944

The Herringbone Hatch Pattern is Limited to Ratios for the Moment,
This Generally Covers Most Commercial
Plank Sizes Most Use 1:2 , 1:3 , 1:4 , etc
I’m Not Saying That You Can’t Have Odd Lengths and Widths
I’m Just Merely Saying That The Math’s Involved in Calculating
Offsets 1000’s of Units From The Datum Gets Quite Complicated
And This Being a Basic Program as the Title States, at This Point
In Time I’m Releasing it as is, Future Releases May Include This 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost