AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Center symbols insertion problem

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
delwer
454 Views, 5 Replies

Design Center symbols insertion problem

When dragging some of the blocks in the Tables section of DC into my drawing, they display wrongly (e.g. the top of a table is at floor level, and offset from the center).

My drawing has Metric units, and the block is from the Imperial folder; also when inserting it into a drawing that uses Imperial units, the problems disappear.

Could this be the problem? And if so, is there a way to use Imperial assets inside my Metric drawing?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dbroad
in reply to: delwer

As far as I know (AFIK), DC blocks are all 2D.  They are not designed to act as 3D blocks.  If you want 2D/3D behavior such that you each view (top, front, back, left, right, model, general) is appropriate, you need to develop mvblocks from the DC block content or develop your own.  The contentbrowser has lots of furniture examples that you can pick apart and learn from.  You should also study the help files on mvblocks.  To change the insertion point of a block, edit the source block definition with bedit and move the items such that whatever point you want as the insertion point is at the origin within bedit.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 3 of 6
delwer
in reply to: dbroad

@dbroad3 wrote:

As far as I know (AFIK), DC blocks are all 2D.  They are not designed to act as 3D blocks.  If you want 2D/3D behavior such that you each view (top, front, back, left, right, model, general) is appropriate, you need to develop mvblocks from the DC block content or develop your own.

I looked at some more blocks in DC: they are all labeled "Multi-View Block Reference" in Properties. In Style Man.> MVB Definitions> View Blocks> Display Representation> Model, almost all have all the View Directions enabled. And if I switch to SW Isometric, they all look 3D.

Message 4 of 6
dbroad

Sorry. I stand corrected.  Just checked for myself and I see the mvblock content.  They all insert correctly for me though. When you view the mvblock from the front view, the top is still on the floor?  The top view will be a 2D block which appears flat on the floor but each view should show up appropriately.  Is that not happening to you?

Message 5 of 6
delwer
in reply to: dbroad

@dbroad3 wrote:

They all insert correctly for me though. When you view the mvblock from the front view, the top is still on the floor?  The top view will be a 2D block which appears flat on the floor but each view should show up appropriately.  Is that not happening to you?

No; in the Front view- in fact in any view except the 3D ones- it displays correctly. The difference is that when inserted in a Imperial units file, the 3D views display correctly, too.

This is easily seen in the following example:

1) Create 2 drawings- one with Units=millimeters; the other in inches;

2) In both insert Coffee Table (from DesignCenter> Imperial> Design> Furnishing> Furniture> Table);

3) View them both in SW Iso;

4) Only the one in the "inches" drawing will show properly.

Message 6 of 6
dbroad

I believe you but can't help you.  For the first time in 20 years, I didn't bother loading the S.I. or global package content for architecture since none of my work involves metric units.  I'm nearing retirement and since college, the promised construction metric environment never arrived in the U.S. (at least not in N.C.).  I think I can tell you how to fix it though. 1)Make sure that the insertion offsets are all 0. 2) Open the drawing that contains the mvblock content and make sure that each viewblock uses the same insertion point relative to each other, and 3)Make sure that the block units are set up correctly for each view block (meters or millimeters, not inches).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost