AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curved Beam AutoCAD Architecture 2016

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jessicaLZ6MA
859 Views, 4 Replies

Curved Beam AutoCAD Architecture 2016

I am trying to model some structure in AutoCAD Architecture 2016 and some of the elements are curved trusses and beams.  I drew the path I wanted it to follow, right clicked on Beam in the Tool Palettes, went to Apply Tool Properties to - Linework.  This created the curved beam, but currently the web follows the path and I need the flange to follow the path.  I tried to change the roll and that was not the answer.  Attached is a picture for reference--the white line is my path.

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jess

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: jessicaLZ6MA

If I understood your screen capture correctly, you have a curved beam similar to #1 in the picture below, but you want the orientation of the structure member to be like #2.2017-02-15_ArcBeams.png

I thought about creating a new Structural Member Shape Definition, with the defining linework rotated 90 degrees, but then decided that was too much work and not necessary.  To get the result at #2 above, I simply copied the Structural Member Style, gave the new style a meaningful name and, on the Design Rules tab, changed the Start Shape's Rotation property from 0.00 to 90.00.  Since the End Shape is set to be a duplicate of the Start Shape, the End Shape's Rotation Property automatically changed to 90.00 as well.  Using the rotated style gave the desired result.2017-02-15_RotatedStructuralMemberStyle.png

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 5
jessicaLZ6MA
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Brilliant!! Thank you so much!

Message 4 of 5
jimmydee
in reply to: jessicaLZ6MA

I realize this is an old post, but is the option to curve a beam really in AutoCAD Architecture 2016?

I don't see an option to apply to linework.

Thanks,

Jim

Message 5 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: jimmydee

@jimmydee

Create a tool palette tool for your structural member style.  Right click on the tool and choose Apply Tool Properties to > Linework.

2018-08-10_ACA2018_StructuralBeamTool_ApplyToLinework.png

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost