cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moment of Inertia for a Double Cone Is Incorrect

Moment of Inertia for a Double Cone Is Incorrect

To whom it may concern,

I'm a product designer in the bowling industry and have noticed that the formula used for a double cone in incorrect. Currently, the formula being used in your program is I = 3/10 MR^2. The correct formula should be I = 3/5 MR^2. 

The reason being is that the double cone and single cone are similar to the sphere and hemisphere, whereas the hemisphere and sphere both use the same formula. The reason this works is because the formula was created from the main shape which is the full sphere and the mass of the hemisphere is 1/2 the mass of the sphere, so the same formula can be used.

With the cone and double cone, the problem arises because the main shape used for the formula was the half shape, single cone, but with regards to the formula of the sphere and hemisphere, the full sphere was used to calculate the formula. 

Having said that, because the 1/2 shape was used to create the full shape, instead of the full shape to create the 1/2 shape, the formula I = 3/10 MR^2 needs to be doubled, hence the correct formula is I = 3/5 MR^2.

Please feel free to contact me anytime by email richie@lane1bowling.com or phone 315-412-1776 regarding this, as I have a physic study to back up my claim. Thank you for your time a nd I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,

Richie Sposato

1 Comment
richieTQMPS
Explorer

Hey guys/gals,

Any word on my observation concerning the correct MOI formula for a double cone..? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost