Did you mean: 

Will AutoCAD run on Windows 10?

61 REPLIES 61
SOLVED
Message 1 of 62
jhooton448
201488 Views, 61 Replies

Will AutoCAD run on Windows 10?

My dad uses Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and AutoCAD 2012 and I'm wondering if it will be compatible with Windows 10 when it becomes available? 

61 REPLIES 61
Message 2 of 62
leothebuilder
in reply to: jhooton448

Windows 10 not supported by Autodesk

Message 3 of 62
Anonymous

@jhooton448 wrote:

My dad uses Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and AutoCAD 2012 and I'm wondering if it will be compatible with Windows 10 when it becomes available? 

there are multiple threads on this subject already

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels&q=Windows+10

Message 4 of 62
rkmcswain

Note that "not supported" does not mean it will not work. There are dozens of examples just here in the forums of people making AutoCAD "Version Y" run on some unsupported O/S. If you can't get it to install as normal, peek around here at what others are doing (or have done in the past) and make the necessary tweaks in trial and error mode. If you don't want to do that, wait around until someone else has and posts about it. 

Otherwise wait for AutoCAD 2017, chances are it will be supported on WinX.

Small chance there might be a SP to let 2016 work on WinX, but zero chance there will be one for AutoCAD 2012

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 5 of 62
pendean

Supported or not, Autodesk will never certify 2012 with Win10, it's a version that is no longer supported or updated. Sorry.
Stick with Win7 for that old software, it's the most stable. If you want to play with Win10, create a separate bootable partition for it and enjoy both worlds.
Message 6 of 62
bsegafredo
in reply to: leothebuilder

Of course Windows 10 is not supported by Autodesk.  Windows 10 is a Microsoft Product.

Message 7 of 62
rkmcswain
in reply to: bsegafredo

bsegafredo wrote:

Of course Windows 10 is not supported by Autodesk.  Windows 10 is a Microsoft Product.

What he meant was that Windows 10 is not a supported O/S for any Autodesk products.

**There may be certain products that have been tested with Win10 and Adsk may come out after Win10 is released and say they officially support these products on Win10, but not yet

Message 8 of 62
pendean
Message 9 of 62
ampster401

ugh, how many posts did I say it would only be for 2016? Palm in the face...apparently they are looking at 2013 thru 2016 products...http://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Windows-10-support-for-Au...
Message 10 of 62
SamAluminium

i used autocad 2014, after i upgrade my window 8.1 to window 10, my autocad can't open! please someone help me :(((

Message 11 of 62
BeKirra
in reply to: SamAluminium

@SamAluminium wrote:

i used autocad 2014, after i upgrade my window 8.1 to window 10, my autocad can't open! please someone help me :(((

Based on the posts I have read in the forum, you may be no luck until Autodesk releases a update/fix.

In other words, you may have to wait or roll-back to Win8.1

BTW I am with v2014 on Win7.

HTH

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 12 of 62
rkmcswain

SamAluminium wrote:

You can't expect a 2-year old version of AutoCAD to run without issues on a bleeding edge, just released O/S. It goes without saying that Win10 is not a supported O/S for AutoCAD 2014, so you just took a big risk diving into this without testing or research. Revert back to 8.1 or hang around browsing this forum and the rest of the Internet - maybe someone has the answer.
Message 13 of 62
ampster401

no information of what you've tried or what's happening. Judging by some reports it may be able to work. The first and easiest thing to try is to run the "Reset Settings to Default" option typically found under the Start menu (Win7) > All Programs > Autodesk > Autodesk AutoCAD 2014 - (language) > Reset Settings to Default. Where you find that in the Win 10 "Start" menu is anybodies guess. Let that cycle thru and maybe AutoCAD will start up. If not, try a Repair and if that doesn't work do a full uninstall then reinstall. HTH
Message 14 of 62
wispoxy

The moment AutoDESK sees this thread, taps their fingers on desks and burst out laughing, wahahahahaha.

'Windows 10, why support it? Lets watch some people suffer first.'  Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 62
ampster401
in reply to: wispoxy

Can't say that's what they are doing, but I am enjoying the entertainment with all the posts about this topic. I went out on a limb over the weekend and updated two systems to Win 10. The laptop which came with Win8 then updated to 8.1 had no problems at all. The Win7 desktop needed a little TLC to get up to speed so to speak. But with neither system did I go so far out on that limb in that I was hoping my personally required software would work. Both systems I was ready to say what the heck and wipe out the O.S. and start over if that's what it took. Being a Linux fan, I can live without M$ operating systems - at least at home. In regards to any Autodesk software, I just made sure Fusion 360 and Inventor Fusion 2013 fired up and they both did.
Message 17 of 62
chris832

find the exe file. right click. click properties. hit the compatability tab. run the compatability wizard. it worked for me

Message 18 of 62
TINMAN_DESIGN

ok, so autocad does not support windows 10 yet. I just installed it and now my autocad LT 2013 does not open. A) How do I get it to open or B) how do I return to windows 8.1? 

Message 19 of 62
TINMAN_DESIGN
in reply to: rkmcswain

yes, I DO EXPECT things to run properly when they advertise that all your existing stuff is safe and transferrable.

Message 20 of 62
Anonymous
in reply to: TINMAN_DESIGN

@TINMAN_DESIGN wrote:

yes, I DO EXPECT things to run properly when they advertise that all your existing stuff is safe and transferrable.

who said Autodesk products worked on Windows 10?

Autodesk never did

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost