Did you mean: 

ObjectDBX Classes message when importing into 3ds max

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
3103 Views, 7 Replies

ObjectDBX Classes message when importing into 3ds max

Hi all,

Wonder if anyone could help me wth a problem I am experiencing.

I have been working on a drawing that was origionally created from an AutoCAD 2004 version, and I have since been working on it in AutoCAD 2013 student version. The drawing from autoCAD 2004 was of plans for a house and i saved them over to model them in autoCAD 2013.

I have since finished the model and tried to import the drawing into 3Ds max 3013 cersion and a message reading "ObjectDBX Classes" appears. I have read up about this and tried to fix the problem but most of the forums suggest to download an AutoCAD 2004 ObjectDBX Classes Object enabler. I am unable to download this as I do not have a copy of AutoCAD 2004, this is only available at my work.

I only have AutoCAD 2013 and 3Ds max 2013 on my home computer, not at my work.

I am wondering if anyone knew if there was any way to get round this problem to get rid of the message and allow me to continue with the model in 3ds max?

ANy help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Marc Hislop

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

welcome @forums.autodesk.com !

>> a message reading "ObjectDBX Classes" appears

Never saw a message like that (or something is missing) ... can you upload a screenshot with that message?

What type of objects are in the drawing, as you render that objects created by AutoCAD 2004 are that geometry-objects of type 3D-solid or 3D-faces or meshes or ...? Is it possible that you reduce your drawing (as a copy) to just a few parts, then test if that message also appears, if so upload the drawing here so we can look into it.

A last question (for now): do you import the drawing into 3DS-Max or do you use the file-link functionality?

Have you tried to export the drawing to FBX (command _EXPORT ==> filetype FBX, or command _FBXEXPORT) and try to load the FBX then in 3DS?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Many thanks for getting back to me Alfred,

Ive attached a screenshot of the message that appears when I try to import into 3ds max.

The type of objects in my drawing are 3D solids and to meshes created with edgesurf tool in autocad. The 2d drawing was created in 2004 and all the 3d modelling was produced in 2013. Ive tried your suggestions, which I greatly thank you for, but none are working succesfully. When i exported it as a FBX file it seemed to import fine but then I couldnt see anything in the viewports in 3Ds max.

Ive attached a copy of the 3D model, im tring to import, if you want to look into it.

Once again I thank you for your help.

Marc

Message 4 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

just to make sure: you wrote that you are using 3DS-Max 2013, but the screenshot shows release 2012.

The reason why I ask that first is that I can open your DWG with 3DS-Max2013, but I have no 2012 available now, so that might be a difference between us.

I also have no problem importing the FBX file (I created from AutoCAD 2013). Well, I currently recognized that there is a difference between _EXPORT ==> filetype FBX and the other method using command _FBXEXPORT. Try the second method! (and define render as two-sided or get rid of the normals 😉 ).

Again the question: do you get the message when using import or file-link for getting the DWG into 3DS-Max?

Additional ideas at the moment: if FBX really does not work for you try to save the drawing in DXF2004 or DXF2007 format. You might also try command -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD and create a DWG-file that is free of any AEC-objects, then import or link it to 3DS.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

I have tried the FBX export method again typing the comand and it seems to be working fine now. I am also going to get 2013 version of 3Ds max just to prevent this happening in the future. I hadnt realised it was 2012 as i was using I was so used to it beiing the up to date one. 

I would like to thank you for your help in this matter and the speedy reply. You're a life saver! Was so worried I would have to start again but thank to yourself im savedSmiley Happy

Such a great service you have offered!

Much appreciated and many thanks to you

Marc

Message 6 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA

You are very welcome, happy rendering, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Hi! I have the same problem.. I am trying to import cad file ( education version 2012) to 3dsmax 2011 (education) but with all file dwg it appears this problem.. Cad drawing is linear and it 2d and i am trying to import to 3dsmax to lift model.. 

I would appreciate if you can help me.. 

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Hello, I was looking for the answer to the same question as the same was happening to me, I found an easier solution.. I don´t really know if it is a long term solution or just for this file, but what I did was simply copy the object of my file and paste it on a new file.. Hope it works for you too.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost