Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple sessions in one window

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
purplellama
684 Views, 22 Replies

multiple sessions in one window

when i click on a file in explorer, it opens autocad. when i click on a second file, it opens a second session. i've looked around for a solution to this, but the other solutions i've found did not change it.

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Patchy
in reply to: purplellama

but the other solutions i've found did not change it.

Which you didn't mention.

Is it SDI ?

Message 3 of 23
purplellama
in reply to: Patchy

i didn't mention them because i've been trying to fix this for over a week,
so periodically i look it up and see if there's something i've missed. and
so i have not kept a detailed log of everything i've tried...
Message 4 of 23
Patchy

Have you tried SDI set it to ZERO

Exit autocad and restart.

Message 5 of 23
purplellama
in reply to: Patchy

i checked. it was on ZERO already.

Message 6 of 23
purplellama

just for the heck of it i changed it to 1 and restarted. then changed it back to 0 and restarted. nothing.

Message 7 of 23
dmfrazier

I suspect this is related to the application (executable) associated with the DWG file-type in Windows.

Do none of the results of the following searches lead to a solution?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels&q=second+session+of+AutoCA...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels&q=open+multiple+drawings+i...

This one seems particularly promising:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-lt-general-discussion/cannot-open-multiple-drawings-in-a-singl...

Message 8 of 23
pendean

How to better diagnose what is going on...

First, what is your exact year-version and variant of AutoCAD? You didn't say. And your Windows version? Worth mentioning it too.

Info #1 to seek: While in AutoCAD, use OPEN command, highlight and open a bunch of files at once: is one replacing another file in AutoCAD (one session one file) or are they all opening in the one session of AutoCAD? Let us know.

Info #2 to seek: Next, in Windows Explorer, what is it set to use for an application with DWG files? Right-click over a DWG file, click on OPEN WITH, then DEFAULT PROGRAM and find out, it should be highlights. Let us know. here, it's set to AutoCAD DWG LAUNCHER and I do not have any trouble.
Message 9 of 23
purplellama
in reply to: pendean

autocad lt 2016

windows 7

Message 10 of 23
purplellama

info #1 - when i go in through the open file dialog, it replaces the file that's open. so i opened 4 files, and it cycled through them. it does not open multiple files or new sessions.

info #2 - autocad dwg launcher

Message 11 of 23
pendean

OK, so you have single document mode turned on in LT2016, or it's stuck on. By chance, do you or do you not have the START tab on display when you start LT2016 on it's own without a file?

Are you in a limited Windows login/user account in Win7?
Another test: after you open LT2016, set SDI to 0 (that's a zero), then close the program, double click on a DWG file to open the program and that one file. Check SDI setting again, is it still zero or did it change to 1?
Message 12 of 23
cmiller

@pendean wrote:
By chance, do you or do you not have the START tab on display when you start LT2016 on it's own without a file?

Are you in a limited Windows login/user account in Win7?

Another test: after you open LT2016, set SDI to 0 (that's a zero), then close the program, double click on a DWG file to open the program and that one file. Check SDI setting again, is it still zero or did it change to 1?

I hate to hi-jack the OP's thread, but I'm having the same issues too. I have done what you said and nothing has changed anything.

Answers to questions in order.

1. no, I start directly in a file if I double click any file for the 1st time. If I start ACAD alone, it is going to a designated template.

2. I have full control over my desktop.

3. SDI is at 0, File association is Autodesk DWG Launcher.

Only thing that has changed from last Friday to this past Monday, was uninstalling older instances of PRDSU, via Autodesk uninstall tool. Could something have been removed that Autocad 16 was using out of files in older versions?

Message 13 of 23
pendean
in reply to: cmiller

Repair reinstall 2016 and see if your issue goes away.
Message 14 of 23
cmiller

Should I repair the entire suite or just ACAD?

Message 15 of 23
stevev0983

Try setting TASKBAR=0.

Message 16 of 23
dmfrazier
in reply to: stevev0983

The TASKBAR command "controls whether multiple open drawings are displayed separately or grouped on the Windows taskbar".

Message 17 of 23
stevev0983
in reply to: dmfrazier

Sorry about that. Misunderstood the original post.

Message 18 of 23
cmiller

@pendean wrote:
Repair reinstall 2016 and see if your issue goes away.

No dice. Did a repair yesterday afternoon. Still acts the same. Can have a Autocad running, double click a dwg and another instance opens up.

Copied a dwg to the desktop and I get the same results.

Message 19 of 23
dmfrazier

It may be necessary to call in the Cavalry!

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Recomme...

This might also be one of those cases where creating a new Windows user profile (and abandoning the old one) will resolve it.

Message 20 of 23
purplellama

- i've attached what my screen looks like when i open the program without a drawing.

- "Are you in a limited Windows login/user account in Win7?"  --  not sure what that means

- i opened a file and SDI was already set to 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost