Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2016 DIMLAYER not working for Continue

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
stevev0983
1305 Views, 4 Replies

2016 DIMLAYER not working for Continue

I like the new DIMLAYER setting because it allowed me to stop having the dimension layer change via a macro as I had done in the past. However, I just noticed that it only works for the main dimension. If you then select "Continue", it continues the dimension on the current layer, not the DIMLAYER. I tried it in several drawings including a blank new one and it always has the same result.

Anyone else seeing this?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
nestly2
in reply to: stevev0983

I may not be understanding your question correctly, but the legacy DIMCONTINUE command as well as the [C]ontinue option within the new DIM command both inherit the properties (Layer/Dimstyle etc) of the dimension they are "continuing" .  IMO, this would be the desired behavior.

Message 3 of 5
stevev0983
in reply to: nestly2

OK. Just realized what the problem is. I keep DIMCONTINUEMODE set to 0 because I like to turn extension lines on and off on the fly as desired. When you have that set to 0, it doesn't inherit the properties of the original dimension so it puts the dimensions on the current layer as opposed to the DIMLAYER. I set it to 1 and it works fine. Oh well, my loss I guess because I can't give up turning DIMSE1 and DIMSE2 on and off on the fly.

Message 4 of 5
stevev0983

I will point out, though, that I just realized DIMLAYER doesn't seem to work if you use the standard Linear, Aligned, Radial, etc from the drop down menu off the Annotate>Dimension ribbon tab. It only seems to work if you start with the new universal dimension icon that has the little sun on it. If I have DIMLAYER set to the DIM layer and my current layer set to 0, using the drop down menu puts the dimensions on 0 but using the new sun icon puts them on DIM. I guess I thought that DIMLAYER worked no matter how you started your dimensions but it only seems to work if you use the new icon with the sun on it.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Message 5 of 5
nestly2

Correct.  DIMLAYER only works for new dimension objects created using the new DIM command.  The legacy Dimension commands don't honor DIMLAYER.

I think the intent is for DIM to be a replacement for all the different legacy Dimension commands.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost