Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014: When scaling down a layout 1000x, dimensions stay enlarged

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
cam01096
460 Views, 2 Replies

2014: When scaling down a layout 1000x, dimensions stay enlarged

So I received an architect's layout and it's in millimetres, and we need it in metres. I'm aware that you can xref in layouts and shrink them down 1000x, or have them auto-shrink when AutoCAD detects a difference between the units, and my AutoCAD does this, but for whatever reason, people on different PCs don't always have their AutoCAD do this, so I've been asked to save a version of the architect's layout and srhink it down about the origin point.

Now the architect had some stupid override so when I shrunk it down, the dimensions were massive and most of them read "0" on the ends of massive extension lines. I deleted the override and in the dimension style, I set the overall scale to 0.001. Usually this fixes it but this time it didn't.Ii shrunk the text style down by 1000x also, which fixed the text, but the extension lines (or some other line) is still 1000x too large. So I went through and manually changed all the lines etc. to 1000x less than what they were before. I also kept the overall scale at 0.001, so now the dimensions should have shrunk down 1 million times, but they haven't.

They seem stuck at 1000x too large for just one line, and the dimension is so distorted, I can't even tell what line it is. Please see attached file, where I've copied one dimension into a blank space, and please see a screenshot of what I'm sure you've all seen in the past.

Any ideas how to fix this dimension problem?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
leothebuilder
in reply to: cam01096

Working with different units is always difficult.

I would leave the architect's drawing alone and xref the architect's file into your drawing with units set at meters.

Scale the xref down 1/1000 in your file and the geometry will be correct. Freeze all the annotation and dimension layers of the xref.

Add annotation and dimensions for what you need at the correct units and scale you intent to plot.

I do the same with civil plans that I need to use in architectural plans.

Message 3 of 3

P.s. the architect's dimstyle has some weird formatting which doesn't help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost