xref master file in main server

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
shavezkhan
1417 Views, 18 Replies

xref master file in main server

hi,all

I working with a team. I want to keep 1 master file in server and all link file to individual system .I gave the all link file to individual team of 9 members and they working ,but when I open the master file in server  then it not showing those xref files which one I distribute to my team .

when I open this master file on their system then it showing each one drawing not all the work as I want,

how I can see this master file in main server.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
olitontyv
in reply to: shavezkhan

Hi shavezkhan,

I use a similar set up in my office. The solution may be very simple. 

Do you have all your xrefs in the same location as your master file?

Example:

MAIN SERVER

>Master File Folder

>>masterfile.dwg

>>Xref Folder

>>>Xrefs

Let me know if that helps!

Message 3 of 19
john.vellek

Hi @shavezkhan,

Let me see if I have this correct:

One master file stored on a server location that is accessible by all user workstations.

One or more files on each workstation that are referenced from the server.

The server references the files from the workstations.

If this is correct, then I have the following questions:

How are you configuring the Xref paths on the server drawing to do this?

Why would you locate the files onto the workstations? This means they are not accessible by the whole team, cannot be protected and backed up from a central location.

If I am incorrect, please provide a bit more detail.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 4 of 19
rculp

Unless your machine can look onto their local drives the files won't be found when you open the master.

IMMHO, ALL files should be on the server, not on local drives, without exception.  That way all files are accessible by the team for not just XREF'ing but for file backup maintenance and ease of alterations when the time comes. NO project file should be stored on individual local harddrives.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
Civil-Structural Design Technician
(aka CADaver)
Message 5 of 19
imadHabash

Hi,

i suggest to check if the Map Network Drive are same for all PC's ...

854.png

Message 6 of 19
john.vellek

Hi @shavezkhan,

There are a lot of questions here in this thread that are aimed to assist you. Please add a post with your status and some answers so a solution to your issue might be delivered to you.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 7 of 19
shavezkhan
in reply to: john.vellek

yes

you are correct boss. I want master file in server and all other working xref file to individual team. Sometime I got a huge plan to work that's why I planning to divide the work & same time I can check also .if it is possible than in main server file I can check without stop the work for my team.this is what I want sir

so please suggest me what I have to do.

Message 8 of 19
RobDraw

You really should consider keeping all the files on the network, It not only would make this a lot easier but safer, too, as mentioned above.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 9 of 19
pendean

>>>.... I want master file in server and all other working xref file to individual team...<<<
That's a terrible management idea: are you sure your bosses are good with this concept of spreading files away from the server with no central file deposit for work being produced for clients? Ask, you are setting yourself up for one big disaster in the future.
Message 10 of 19
john.vellek

Hi @shavezkhan,

While this technically could be done (although I don't know anyone who has ever tried) I don't recommend it. To add a path you might be able on the server to map drive letters to the host names of the client computers.

Keep these warnings in mind:

• Although you can possibly reference the files from the clients onto the master on the server, it then might prove difficult for the clients to also xref back the master or other client computer files.
  • If a client computer is off or fails then you will no longer have access to the work stored there and might potentially also lose it entirely.
  • Files on a client computer are more difficult to backup.
  • Security on a server  is very different than on a client computer.
  • You are not actually gaining any more flexibility or control over files by distributing. In fact you are reducing the flexibility.
  • Latency on a client computer which is not designed for the I/O such as a server can wreak havoc in your project.

More concerns as well - these are just to get you started.

John Vellek

Message 11 of 19
shavezkhan

no sir what I want

there are 10 cad operator in my team.i am the coordinator sir here in this organization so what I thinking I have main server access .some time very huge file we have to work and it take more time to complete the task. Sir If this drawing I will distribute individual to my team & same time when I have create the xref master file in server than I can check proper after completed the work I will bind that file & keep in the server. I don't want online or client access nothing like that.

same as all xref attached working file I want to keep on my team individual system and main xref file in server.so that I will save in one file main server later stage I will bind and close the chapter.

Message 12 of 19
john.vellek

Hi @shavezkhan,

I understand what you are trying to achieve but the files really should remain on the server. They can obviously be accessed by all team mates (that is sort of the point) and only one file can be edited at one time due to OS file locking. So, in essence if you assign one team person a file  on the server then they can see all the other files and coordinate there work in the one file. While they are working in the file, a lock is placed upon it so others can not edit the data at the same time.

I suspect restructuring your drawings for collaborative work would be a better method than to try to reinvent how the network shares and works with data.

At any rate, did you try to create mapped drives on the server side that point to the client machines?

John Vellek

Message 13 of 19
rculp

For the "master" file to "see" the files on your team member's local hard-drives, the server MUST have access to each member's hard-drive.  A link between the users and the server must be established, one way or the other.  

Break the large model into smaller sub-models for individual users.

Keep ALL models on the server (in sub-directories if desired) and the users will work on them there.

XREF all sub-models into a master model for final presentation.

At turn-over, bind the XREF's or eTransmit the group as XREF's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(my current model is just under 40MB, and is but one of 25 sub-models for the Civil/Structural group on this project.  EVERYTHING is on the server.  If I catch someone keeping project files on his hard-drive, he'll get a rather abrupt reprimand.)

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 14 of 19
shavezkhan

hi good morning boss,

if I want to keep the main file in server and working file in my working system than it showing in server but when I access from any other system to the server that time xref is missing it not showing. I think I have to give the path to the xref correct way than from any system it will work something like this missing, sir this idea is good for me I don't know for other what but for me I want to do like this .I can save a lot time for my team.

Message 15 of 19
shavezkhan

find the another solution put all working system on sharing than I can access but this is not ok for me

I don't want to keep all system data on sharing this is not good

when everyone has access to the server and he has attached the file there than why another one cant view the xref master file

Message 16 of 19
rculp

There seems to be a language barrier here that is making this difficult.

An XREF is a SHARED file.  For the main file to have access to the XREF's it contains it must share access to the locations of ALL the source files.  Placing those source files on a SHARED location is the only way to ensure access.

Machine A has a file that is attached to the shared location file MAIN.  A person on machine B attaches MAIN, but his machine does not have access to machine A where the first file resides, it will not be visible to him.

Why don't you want the shared information on a shared location??

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 17 of 19
RobDraw
in reply to: rculp

@rculp wrote:

There seems to be a language barrier here that is making this difficult.

Can someone refer him to a good Russian forum or a better translator, preferably living?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 18 of 19
rculp
in reply to: RobDraw

I'm sure his English is better than my Russian, it may be better than my English, I barely do Texan Red-neck.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 19 of 19
shavezkhan
in reply to: rculp

yup boss,

without sharing the all working system data other one cant view the attached xref so we should keep all working system on sharing .this is I have done & working .but what I thinking it is not possible .I mean without sharing the all system everyone can view the main xref file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost