13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
1175 Views, 13 Replies

Wrong DWG pasted

This problem shows on:

• Autocad 2014 (64 bit Windows 7)
  • Autocad 2017 trial version (same 64 bit Windows 7)

Symptoms:

Pasting a DWG object or inserting it into another DWG will result in the paste of a different, undesired DWG object (usually a former one).

Tried to clear the clipboard, to install plug ins. Nothing worked.

This is critically blocking, please... help!

Regards,

R.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

HI @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Does this occur too if you drag  and drop a file into another one? Or is this just a clipboard issue?

How are you clearing the Clipboard? Try following these steps.

Does an insert from Design Center work?

Are the drawing files both in 2013 format or at least the same format?

Are you using plain AutoCAD or a vertical product or do you have any add-ins?

Does this happen all the time (even after a re-boot) or just occassionally?

Let''s try logging in as a new user (full admin) to see if this happens with a new account too.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Dear John,

Thanks for your prompt answer. 

Please find my remarks below in green.

Best regards,

C.

Does this occur too if you drag  and drop a file into another one? Or is this just a clipboard issue?

Very strange behavior spotted while using the drag and drop functionnality:

1). On the work file received from my predecessor: Drag and dropping a DWG will insert another DWG that may exist somewhere in a library, but definitely not the DWG I chose to DnD.

2). On a very new file: whatever the file DnDed, it will always insert the latest copied file... (even if I prior clear the clipboard).

How are you clearing the Clipboard? Try following these steps.

=> I used the very method you advise after browsing forums.

Does an insert from Design Center work?

=>Nope, result is the same as a copy paste with this method.

Are the drawing files both in 2013 format or at least the same format?

I confirm, all the files are saved in AutoCAD 2013 dwg format.

Are you using plain AutoCAD or a vertical product or do you have any add-ins?

My AutoCAD 2014 is an official version bought from my company with no add-ins. The AutoCAD 2017 version is the trial version you propose on your website. 

Does this happen all the time (even after a re-boot) or just occassionally?

All the time.

Let's try logging in as a new user (full admin) to see if this happens with a new account too.

The only conditions in which I used AutoCAD were in "not logged" mode or logged with my only account. Anything I should do to get this "full admin" mode? 

Message 4 of 14
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Please try a Windows Control Panel>programs Repair. Then a Reset Settings to Default. Please let me know if that helps.

As far as the admin permissions, create a new local user account and assign it Full Administrative permissions. Then logon with that account and see if everything behaves normally.

Do you have any add-ins installed?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 5 of 14
rculp

Duplicate block name??

Is there already a block with the same name as the file in the target file?

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
Civil-Structural Design Technician
(aka CADaver)
Message 6 of 14
john.vellek

HI @Anonymous,

Were you able to duplicate this with a new Windows user account?  If this is happening with specific files can you attach some samples to a post?

John Vellek

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Hi John,

Could not try yesterday because of other imperatives.

Will try today, thanks for your help, I'll come back to you asap.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

So...

• Tried to repair the installed Autocad 2014. Didn't change a thing to my issue.
  • Managed to create a new local user account with admin rights. Still have the problem.
  • Tried to copy my files locally (I usually never work on local to prevent loss of work in case of crash). Still have the problem.

Anything esle I could try? Apparently I'm not the only one concerned on the internet but I could not find any decent solution on the fora.

PS: attached are typical files I try to copy paste.

Message 9 of 14
john.vellek

HI @Anonymous,

Inlooking at your files, the first thing I saw was that they were not created in native AutoCAD. I don't know if this is part of the problem or not.

I used EXPORTTOAUTOCAD on both files. Then I checked for duplicates as @rculp suggested. Both drawings had a single block with the same name. I used RENAME in one of the drawings and then I tried the copy and paste without issue. I hope this helps.

John Vellek

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks John,

I'll try this next week. We'll be moving to new offices until tuesday.

I'll keep you informed.

Camille

PS: Yes, my dwg files are exports from step files opened (and converted) with FreeCAD .

Message 11 of 14
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

How was the move? I haven't seen a new post so I am hoping you have just been too busy and that the move didn't turn into a nightmare.

Please let me know the status of your issue.

John Vellek

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks for inquiring John, I've just settled my office out of the cartboards and should be able to check your advice today.

I'll keep you updated.

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

Hi John,

Could you please undo your latest modification to this post (posting some answers as solutions)?

=> EXPORTTOAUTOCAD DID NOT do it for me... Defining the resulting files as blocks, changing their names, inserting them in other "AutoCAD certified DWG files" does not work...

Now this issue has consumed too much of my time, I'll find another way to do my work.

Thanks for your help anyways.

Message 14 of 14
john.vellek

HI @Anonymous,

Please take one last look. With the drawings you provided, these are the exact steps I took and then the correct drawing pasted in. The ExportotoAutoCAD is a step I like to take to make sure that there are no strange non-AutoCAD objects in the files. Both drawings utilize the exact same block name. Rename (the block not the file name) it in either one of the drawings to something unique. Then you can paste it into the other. I am happy to provide a video if that would help.

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost