Upgrading hardware

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
ivantai92
348 Views, 5 Replies

Upgrading hardware

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade some hardware in my PC. Currently it is running decent but i do notice some lagging in certain area.

Current Setup:

Intel Core i7 - 4770 3.4Ghz

16Gbs of DDR3 1600Mhz

Nvidia GT640 4Gb

dual monitor at 1080p

I know that a lot of people recommend the Nvidia Quadro M2000, but i was hoping if anyone else had a different opinion. I am a college student so i'm on a tight budget but willing to spend extra if absolutely necessary. I was also looking into the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 8GB because gaming may happen. I will also be running software like Revit, Solidwork, and Rhino 3D. Along with the typical Adobe editing software.

Thank You

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rkmcswain
in reply to: ivantai92

If you do not have an SSD, that would be my choice for the most bang for the buck.

CPU and RAM are not bad, unless you are going to be doing some heavy work on large models.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 6
braudpat

Hello

For me I will buy a Nvidia GTX 970 AND a fast modern SSD

Regards, Patrice
Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
beyoungjr

Very good recommendations here.  The SSD will speed things up nicely but it all hinges on system setup.  Your system isn't bad at all now but I'd bet that you need a "clean out" since you are experiencing lag.

If you go the route of an SSD you should consider a clean install of your OS to the SSD as your primary drive.  If your SSD is large enough you could also direct many of your application installs to it as well but I only have the OS on my C: drive.  I direct my apps to install on 😧 but the various software's still add lots of things to the C: drive just to make things run correctly.

As you look at graphics cards pay particular attention to performance with "Vector" graphics.  Most gaming engines are "Raster" based and the best gaming cards can still perform questionably with 3D CAD work.

Wipeout and reinstall always improves things but its usually a major investment in time!

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 5 of 6
john.vellek

Hi @ivantai92,

I wholeheartedly agree with @beyoungjr's analysis.  A good fast SSD in combination with a complete, fresh install will likely speed things up quite a bit.   A newer and more robust graphics card will also be the icing on top. 🙂

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 6 of 6
john.vellek

Hi @ivantai92,

I am checking back to see if my post or others helped you with your problem. Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.
Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost