Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG to PDF or Adobe

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
bwatsonUSXB3
530 Views, 14 Replies

DWG to PDF or Adobe

DWG to PDF appears to still have the ongoing issue with speed and file size, at least through Civil 3D 2016, SP3.  Does anyone know if there is a solution to this problem?  I printed a layout that took 15 minutes with DWG to PDF, but took less than a minute using Adobe.  This brings me to my next questions (assuming there is not a solution for the DWG to PDF).  When printing with Adobe using Publish we are prompted to save the file.  The files are named with the dwg name and layout tab name.  Is there a way to have Publish to automatically save the file, without have user input?  Is it possible to have Publish create a file name similar to the way DWG to PDF does, that is by layout tab name only (our layout tabs are sheet number and title named via sheetset manager.

I have been searching for answers to these but have not found it.  Sorry if it is out there and I missed them.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Hi,

>> DWG to PDF appears to still have the ongoing issue with speed and file size

Yes, it's faster and creates smaller file sizes compared with other PDF drivers 😉

>> I printed a layout that took 15 minutes with DWG to PDF, but took less than a minute using Adobe.

There are a lot of option in the PDF settings as well as in the plot-settings you can do to slow down the process. It's hard to know which settings will help you with your current project without seeing your settings and your project (I guess with new files it will not use 15min, correct?).

Most common settings:

• resolution of raster data (lower the resolution for smaller file-size and faster printing)
  • output text as graphics or text (set to text for smaller file-size)
  • transparency on or off (off for smaller file-size and faster printing)
  • visual style in the viewports (set to "2D-Wireframe" for minimal output time, every rendered visual style will convert the viewport content to raster and that needs time)

20161105_1042.png

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 15
drydman
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I'm having a problem getting the transparency to plot correctly using DWG to PDF. 

I have two jpg files with transparency set to 50 for each layer. One (Google map or GIS map) plots fine while another (survey) doesn't. Don't know why. I need to set the Fade option to 85 or more to get the survey to lighten properly so the AutoCAD data is legible. 

Each of these jpg files were originally PDF files, with the Save As feature used to create the jpg. I don't know how the survey PDF was created, I got it from someone. I used the PDF printing feature within the GIS program to create the map PDF.

Our Autodesk provider informed me that this transparency problem has been around for a long time. Their recommendation is to use another print driver (Adobe, Cute PDF, etc.). Those drivers create other issues I'd rather avoid.

Seems to me Autodesk drivers would work properly with their products, but maybe that's just me.

Doug

Message 4 of 15
pendean
in reply to: drydman

Post your files, let's all get access to the files you are using and your settings.
Message 5 of 15
drydman
in reply to: pendean

Here are the files used. Thanks for asking.

Message 6 of 15
john.vellek

Hi @drydman

The transaprency looks like it plotted correctly for me. I opened your drawing, remapped the xref images and then typed plot and hit ok.

Are your results different or am I misunderstanding what youare trying to achieve?

Capturedwg.PNGCapturepdf.PNG

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 7 of 15
drydman
in reply to: john.vellek

John,

I downloaded the PDF you created and it did plot okay. Do you think that remapping the xrefs was the difference?

That sure would be an easy fix.

How did you remap? Unload and Reload, just Reload, or remove and reattach?

If none of these, please let me know the steps you used.

Thanks for the help. I'll be sure to pass the results to our provider.

Message 8 of 15
john.vellek

Hi  @drydman,

I just adjusted the paths to the image files to reflect their location on my pc.   Check also that if you select one of the image files, go to porperties and see if background transparency is on like mine is.  Maybe this setting isn't behaving for you.

I will attach your file with my new paths (which you will need to change back). I have checked and the background transparency is turned on for the images.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 9 of 15
john.vellek

Hi @drydman

I am checking back to see if my post helped you with your problem or if you need additional assistance or information. Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 10 of 15
drydman

John,

We have come to the same conclusion, Layer transparency = 50 for both layers, the site survey image FADE property value set high (90 in your file to me where I used 85) to get the transparency to plot properly while the GIS map FADE property value is 0 (same as mine) which plots transparently just fine.

If you want to do another test to confirm that DWG to PDF works properly, set the FADE value on the survey image to 0 and see what your results are. I get no transparency when that setting is 0, which is what prompted this entire thread. If that's what I need to do, okay.

Just curious why I don't need to change the FADE value for all images (while I'm not a programmer, this appears to me where the bug is).

Thanks,

Doug

Message 11 of 15
john.vellek

Hi Doug,

Sorry for the late reply. I tried setting the Fade to 0 and adjusted the draw order so that the block sits on top of the JPG. This seems to plot correctly. If I set the Fade to 50 it also shows the transparency.

This behavior seems to hold true for the GIS JPG as well.

John Vellek

Message 12 of 15
drydman

My turn for a late reply. When I set the FADE value to 0, the PDF appears okay, however the paper plot (OCE" 340) doesn't fade properly.

This isn't consistent with all external references, happen maybe 20-25% of the time. I can't remember when I've seen this in the past, I do know I've had to do the same thing to fix it though.

Message 13 of 15
john.vellek

Hi @drydman,

If the PDF is correct, what happens when you print the PDF on the Oce? If it does not match then you need to look at your Oce configuration. Does your Oce have the Postscript option installed?

John Vellek

Message 14 of 15
drydman

John,

Yes the Postscript option is installed. This only happens occasionally, and thinking about it usually when I get a PDF file from someone else.

Would there be some PDF setting that doesn’t allow transparency? Just throwing a dart with that comment.

Doug

Message 15 of 15
john.vellek

Hi Doug,

Do you see this behavior on different printers or just the Oce? I remember back a while that the Postscript driver acted a bit strange on PDF files for me.  Perhaps a newer driver or firmware update is possible.

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost