Did you mean: 

DWG to PDF files excessively large

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
arkelec
1296 Views, 9 Replies

DWG to PDF files excessively large

Plotting using Autodesk 2017 DWG to PDF.pc3 results in excessively large files.  They are also impossible to work with once created as they don't respond to zoom/pan commands.

I still have 2015 installed & the same process does not cause a problem.

For the same dwg file, the pdf sizes are:

2017 = 3306 KB

2015 = 843 KB

The only difference I can see in the 2017 plotter settings is an addition button for pdf settings (absent in 2015) & the DPI for Normal is 200 (100 in 2015) - see image.

The hyperlink setting is unchecked & there are no raster images present.  The fact that using 2015 does not result in the issue suggests that there is something wrong with 2017.  

Plotting to the Adobe plotter results in a file with a size of 1350 KB which whilst larger than the 2015 file, does not have the zoom/pan issue.

Has anyone had this problem & solved it?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
john.vellek
in reply to: arkelec

Hi @arkelec,

This is a known issue with 2017. Check to include  the Hyperlinks and the resulting file size should drop.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 10
arkelec
in reply to: john.vellek

Cheers @john.vellek, issue indeed resolved.

Many thanks.

Message 4 of 10
rawieten

I see that the fact that AutoCAD 2017 grossly over-sizing PDF files is a know issue.  However will Autodesk be issuing a patch to correct this issue or will we have to continue to print PDF files using older versions of AutoCAD until the next version of AutoCAD is released?

Message 5 of 10
john.vellek
in reply to: rawieten

Hi @rawieten,

I hope that is the case. For now it is easy to correct by making sure that the Include Hyperlinks is enabled when creating the PDF.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 6 of 10
rawieten

John,

Unfortunately it is not an easy fix when the PDF goes from 7mb to 42mb with all hyperlinks and fonts removed from the file.

Our office generally emails files to everyone that needs the files so when the PDF grows to over 25mb in size it can no longer be emailed and we must either use a third party software to send or close the file reopen it in 2016 and replot the PDF so it can be sent to our field people who are using the files on their mobile devises. We are plotting with the exact same settings just different version of AutoCAD.

We are almost to the point of switching back to AutoCAD 2016 until the PDF plotting issue is taken care of.

Thanks

Message 7 of 10
john.vellek

HI @rawieten,

Perhaps I wasn't clear. KEEP the hyperlinks. This will drop the resulting file size to normal.

John Vellek

Message 8 of 10
rawieten

By turning the hyperlinks on, the file grows from 42mb to 47mb in size.

Thanks

Message 9 of 10
john.vellek

Hi @rawieten,

is it possible to share one of your files and the steps you follow in creating your PDFs? Please also attach your CTB/STB file and a PC3.  If you need to send privately you can email to me at john.vellek@autodesk.com

John Vellek

Message 10 of 10
john.vellek

Hi @rawieten,

I am still working on your files but I would like you to try something for me.

You have indicated that your office uses AutoCAD 2016, AutoCAD 2017, AutoCAD Architecture 2016, and AutoCAD Architecture 2017. Your email to me  indicates that AutoCAD 2016 produces the smallest PDF file.

I have opened your file and performed a Publish as you describe in your process and I find negligible difference in PDF file size regardless of which application I am using.

So, try this:

I see that all of your objects are to the left (negative position) and really far away from 0,0. Is it possible to move everything closer to 0,0 and in a positive direction to see if it affects your plots?  I tried this and plotted the first sheet in the 20 page set and it is only 148k.

Please let me know your results of this experiment.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost