Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2017 Unable to create logfile... Fatal Error

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
ADA-Adam
15444 Views, 30 Replies

AutoCAD 2017 Unable to create logfile... Fatal Error

Since installing AutoCAD 2017 (included with Building and Design Suite premium 2017), everytime I try to open a file from explorer i get the same error messages and AutoCAD just closes. 

C:\Windows\system32\<drawing_name>.log

Unable to create logfile for this drawing; maximum number reached.

Please delete some log files from this directory. 

I hit ok then get a FATAL ERROR message. 

FATAL ERROR: Unhandled Delayload "RegisterToday.dll" Module Not Found

Exception at fcd7a06dh

When I go to the file path mentioned, the file doesn't exist so there is nothing to delete. No .log files at all in fact. Also the folder is labeled System32 instead of system32. Not sure if that makes a difference. 

Any ideas how to fix this? 

Windows 7 Home Premium.

All updates to date installed. 

Also have AutoCAD 2016 installed. 

Tags (1)
30 REPLIES 30
Message 21 of 31

But I am worrying about dependency between DWG TrueView and Inventor. So I guess TrueView is installed as an addin with Inventor. I am not using it and I really don't need it but uninstalling it maybe will causes a problem.

img.png

Inventor 2018/Windows 10 x64
If this information was helpful, please consider marking it as an Accepted Solution by using the Accept as Solution. Kudos are also gladly accepted.
Message 22 of 31

It should be safe to remove - worst case is that you would have to do a repair on Inventor.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 23 of 31

Hi John,

Removing DWG TrueView solved a problem!

Thank you very much! I hope so that I will not have future problems caused by removing it.

Regards

Danijel

Inventor 2018/Windows 10 x64
If this information was helpful, please consider marking it as an Accepted Solution by using the Accept as Solution. Kudos are also gladly accepted.
Message 24 of 31

DWG TrueView 2015 casued the same error. I finally solved the issue with the M-Files previewer by reverting to DWG TrueView 2013.
Message 25 of 31
paulcsaky
in reply to: john.vellek

This is Paul Csaky, CPM Consultants. I was having the exact same problem. Uninstalled DWG TrueView 2017 via Add/Remove Programs and problem resolved.
Message 26 of 31
mcgyvr
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

I get this same error when attempting to import an AutoCAD 2017 3D dwg into Inventor 2017. 

The process still works even though I get the error.

This never happened to me before installing the 2017 releases.

@JDMather

JD, Did you ever find a proper solution for this?

I'm having the same issue now after I just upgraded to Windows 10 on my machine..

Prior to that it was working just fine AFAIK..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 27 of 31
JDMather
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I get this same error when attempting to import an AutoCAD 2017 3D dwg into Inventor 2017. 

The process still works even though I get the error.

This never happened to me before installing the 2017 releases.

@JDMather

JD, Did you ever find a proper solution for this?

I'm having the same issue now after I just upgraded to Windows 10 on my machine..

Prior to that it was working just fine AFAIK..

I think there was a "solution" posted by a 'Desker on the Inventor forum - but it didn't sound like a "proper" solution, so I never tried it.

I would expect a "proper solution" to be an Update or Service Pack, not some fooling around by users.

What I do is simple Alt Tab until I get to error message and dismiss the box - the import then proceeds as normal.

I have to do this each time.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 28 of 31
ben.sparksANRFS
in reply to: ADA-Adam

I didn't want to read all the posts, so my apologize if someone has already posted this solution. I was having the same error on a windows 10 installation. I found that if you changed the default program from DWG viewer, to AutoCAD DWG Launcher the error no longer shows up. Hope this helps.
Message 29 of 31
ToddHarris7556
in reply to: JDMather

I'm in the same boat as JD -

Importing DXF into Inventor sketch brings up the error. 

ALT-TAB to find the dialog, and dismiss it. Then it proceeds with no issue.

FWIW, I did try uninstalling DWG TrueView. It turns out that that's the engine that's used to do the selective import. So, if you delete it, you don't get the error, but you can only import the entire DXF (vs. selecting objects or filtering by layers). Hence, I reinstalled it, and put up with the error message.

Todd
Product Design Collection (Inventor Pro, 3DSMax, HSMWorks)
Fusion 360 / Fusion Team
Message 30 of 31

Inventor uses DWG True view whenever you import an AutoCAD file and it shows you that quick little preview.  That preview engine IS DWG True View.  Several problems have arisen from this decision of Autodesk's, first, DWG True view whenever opened (in this case by Inventor to preview the cad file before importing) will force itself to become the default dwg file opening program.  EVEN IF YOU USE THE DWG LAUNCHER, it will set dwg true view as default.  there is a registry key that can fix that, and I wrote a .net command to edit it, because I happens so frequently.

<CommandMethod("RegisterAutoCADDefault")>
    Public Sub RegisterAutoCADDefault()
        Try
            TTSPaletteSet.isProcessing = True
            '' Get the AutoCAD Applications key
            Dim sProdKey As String = "Software\Autodesk\DwgCommon\shellex\apps"
            Dim regAppsKey As Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey = Microsoft.Win32.Registry.CurrentUser.OpenSubKey(sProdKey)
            Dim apps() As String = regAppsKey.GetSubKeyNames()
            Dim strAppAutoCAD As String = Nothing
            For Each app As String In apps
                If app.Contains("AutoCAD") Then strAppAutoCAD = app
            Next
            Microsoft.Win32.Registry.SetValue(regAppsKey.Name, "", strAppAutoCAD)
            TTSPaletteSet.isProcessing = False
        Catch ex As System.Exception
            Dim eh As New ErrorHandler(ex)
            eh.HandleIt()
        End Try
    End Sub

Second, it appears that DWG True view is now attempting to write log files to windows\system32\  BAD IDEA, this is most likely a bug in the true view program itself, looking for a folder, not finding it, and falling back to system folder instead.  However system folder is protected, and that is why the writing of the log file fails.  In addition the error message is encryptic because it is not handled until it has bubbled up, past the expected known error.

Uninstalling or disabling DWG True view has the following repercussions:

Vault and Inventor no longer have a dwg file previewing tool.  When you use Inventor to import a dwg file, the previewer will be blank always.  That's typically it, but without the previewer you can't select specific layers to import.

jvj

jvj
Message 31 of 31
jmeesenburg
in reply to: ADA-Adam

Capture.JPG

I had to go into options. under file tab scroll down to log file location. then change location as this was pointing to a USB drive that was not currently plugged in for me. PS. options is only available if a drawing is open.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost