Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AUTOCAD 2017 CRASH WHEN CREATING DATA LINK

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
lcaron-lachapelle
2974 Views, 21 Replies

AUTOCAD 2017 CRASH WHEN CREATING DATA LINK

When trying to create a data link, my autocad 2017 crashes. It does that after I select the excel file and gives me an message '' The specified excel fil is not valid or not supported'' and then autocad crashed when I click close on that window. I'm the only one in the office that has autocad 2017 and the only one that has this problem. We tried different files and different excel formats and also re-installing autocad. Nothing worked. (I use Excel 2013 and Windows 10)

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Hi @lcaron-lachapelle,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear about the issue. Only Excel 2000, Excel 2003, and Excel 2007 file formats are supported. You will need to save the Excel file into one of these formats. Open the affected Excel-file in Excel and Save as one of these versions in the save as type section.

Matt DiMichele
Autodesk Product Blogs | @ADSKCommunity Twitter

Likes are greatly appreciated. Everyone enjoys a thumbs up!

Please Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue, to help others benefit and locate it.
Message 3 of 22

I have tried that and it doesn't work. Autocad is still crashing.

Message 4 of 22

My collegues have tried with same files with older version of autocad (2015-2016) and evrything works fine. It's only with my autocad 2017 that this issue is happening
Message 5 of 22

HI @lcaron-lachapelle,

A couple of questions here:

Have you updated AutoCAD with the latest service pack?

Could you give us some specs on your computer?

Do you have any customization applied? Lisp routines that run?

Do you have the 64-bit or 32-bit version of Excel installed?

Does this happen with all Excel files, or only some? All drawing files, or only some?

As a test, if you create a new Excel spreadsheet with only a couple of simple cells, and a new drawing from an out-of-the-box template in 2017, does the program still crash every time you try to create a datalink?

Matt DiMichele

Please Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue, to help others benefit and locate it.
Message 6 of 22

See my answers in Italic

Have you updated AutoCAD with the latest service pack?

Yes

Could you give us some specs on your computer?

Pocessor : Intel® Xeon® CPU  W3680 @ 3.33GHz

Ram : 6 GO

System : 64 bit

Windows 10 

Do you have any customization applied? Lisp routines that run?

No

Do you have the 64-bit or 32-bit version of Excel installed?

64-bit

Does this happen with all Excel files, or only some? All drawing files, or only some?

Everything, all the time

As a test, if you create a new Excel spreadsheet with only a couple of simple cells, and a new drawing from an out-of-the-box template in 2017, does the program still crash every time you try to create a datalink?

Still crash

Message 7 of 22

HI @lcaron-lachapelle,

Could you try creating a new user account (local admin) and logon to windows with that account. Go to Windows Control Panel>Programs, select Excel and do a repair. Next, open an excel file and save it to an XLS format. Open AutoCAD, start a new file and save it as 2013 format. Type datalink and try to browse to the file and then take all the defaults (don't select a range or anything like that).

Matt DiMichele

Message 8 of 22
slink
in reply to: lcaron-lachapelle

Did you ever get resolution to this problem? I'm experiencing the same. This is the first time I have tried creating a data link using the 2017 version of AutoCAD and I'm running Architectural. 

Message 9 of 22
john.vellek
in reply to: slink

Hi @slink,

I'm sorry you are having this problem. Please tell me your exact version of AutoCAD by typing ABOUT at the command line. Then tell me which version of Excel you are using and whether or not it is 64-bit.

Also, please, tell me your OS>

Are you trying to create the data link on a network or locally? Can you attach some sample files that you are trying to work with and that exhibit the problem? I am happy to investigate this for you.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 10 of 22
slink

I am running Product Version: 7.9 48.0 AutoCAD Architecture 2017, Built on: N.52.0.0 AutoCAD 2017. Excel version is 2016, Version 1611 (Build 7571.2109). I am running Windows 10 OS. I am trying to edit and create a new datalink. It appears as popups are blocked. My screen looks like it is locked up but if I hit esc everything is okay. I can create a datalink using the same files on other users computers that are running AutoCAD 2016 and Windows 7.

Thanks!

Sarah Link
Project Manager

[cid:image001.png@01D220AD.23092A80]
6161 Imperial Loop Drive
College Station, Texas 77845
slink@gconbio.com
www.gconbio.com
Leading Autonomous Cleanroom Designs
Message 11 of 22
mspatafora

Any resolutions on this one?  I am having very similar issues today.  Trying to create data links in Autocad 2017.1.1, using Excel 2016 32-bit, in Windows 7 64-bit.  Data link tool is taking a very long time, and sometimes crashing CAD.  I'm able to create a data link, and have CAD recognize updates made in Excel...but I can't get updates made in CAD to upload back to the source Excel file. 

Message 12 of 22
john.vellek

Hi @slink,

Can you apply the updates to AutoCAD from your Account page or the Desktop App? Please also, attach some sample files so that I can test on my computer.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 13 of 22
john.vellek
in reply to: mspatafora

HI @mspatafora,

I think that the issue is your Excel is 32-bit. If you have access to the 64-bit version I would like to know if once installed if the issue persists.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 14 of 22
slink

I made those updates this morning without any change. Let me see how I can send you a file as I attached it earlier and my email was bounced back.

Sarah Link
Project Manager

[cid:image001.png@01D220AD.23092A80]
6161 Imperial Loop Drive
College Station, Texas 77845
slink@gconbio.com
www.gconbio.com
Leading Autonomous Cleanroom Designs
Message 15 of 22
slink

Here is the file.

Message 16 of 22
john.vellek

Hi Sarah - It came in just fine on my side. I am using 64-bit Excel 2016 with AutoCAD 2017.1.1

Can you verify that your Excel is the 64-bit version please?

Also, you might try adding the link with a range instead of the whole table and then try different paths as well.

Capture.PNG

John Vellek

Message 17 of 22
Erik_Tanaka
in reply to: john.vellek

is your excel file on your local computer or on the network.

I have similar issues with autocad 2015 and 2016 and the excel file is on the network,I have a data link in a drawing, when I go to edit the link autocad freezes everytime.

if I disconnect from network prior to editing the data link, it works fine. after done editing the link I plug the network cable back in and go about my business.

Message 18 of 22
mspatafora
in reply to: Erik_Tanaka

To answer your initial question - my files are all saved locally, on my desktop.

I actually haven't had much time to play around with datalinks since asking my last question.  I did update my Microsoft programs to 64 bit, which I think solved the problem.  Again, I haven't fully tested links with the updated Excel, so I can't say for sure whether the problem is fully addressed.

Message 19 of 22

unfortunately, the issue with data link is still there. All your proposed solutions are not helpful. Was it possible for meanwhile to fix this problem?
I am working with Architectural 2016, while up,- downloading xls. files Architectural collapse - fatal error.
Could you help me in this matter?
Sven

@lcaron-lachapelle wrote:

When trying to create a data link, my autocad 2017 crashes. It does that after I select the excel file and gives me an message '' The specified excel fil is not valid or not supported'' and then autocad crashed when I click close on that window. I'm the only one in the office that has autocad 2017 and the only one that has this problem. We tried different files and different excel formats and also re-installing autocad. Nothing worked. (I use Excel 2013 and Windows 10)

Message 20 of 22
john.vellek
in reply to: sven1510

Hi @sven1510,

I suggest grabbing a trial of current Excel (1026) 64-bit and trying that with your AutoCAD Architecture.  When you do this process, try it locally first and then on the network. If you would like to attach some sample files (dwg & XLS) I am happy to take a look

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost