Did you mean: 

shortcut directly to a specific template

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
drc_ol
964 Views, 19 Replies

shortcut directly to a specific template

Hi everyone,

I am constantly making viewports of my models. I would like to ask if there is a way to make a shortcut directly

to a specific template (like shift+..)?

Tiping layout, t, and searching for the template take just a few time but when you have to make 100 layouts it turns into a good amount of time.

I know i can go to CUI and create a command with a specific shortcut but i don't know if it is possible to request a specific layout that way.

Regards,

David

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
hwalker
in reply to: drc_ol

Ive just worked out the following which can be run as a script file

FILEDIA 0
LAYOUT
T
2005B.DWT
A3_
FILEDIA 1

Just copy the above and paste it into a text file with a .scr extension

Change the 2005b.DWT for your template file

Change the A3_ for your layout

NOTE before you do this your template file HAS to be in the default template directory.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 20
drc_ol
in reply to: hwalker

Thank you, i will try this.

Message 4 of 20
dmfrazier

Since this is all happening within the same DWG file, you don't really need to do this as a "script" (in the AutoCAD sense).  This can easily be turned "horizontal" and written as a button macro:

^C^Cfiledia;0;layout;t;mytemplatefile;mylayoutname;filedia;0

Message 5 of 20
dmfrazier

Another approach to consider is DesignCenter.  Layouts can be dragged and dropped from one DWG (or DWT, or DXF...) to another.  Set DesignCenter to the template folder and file, and it's pretty quick. 

Message 6 of 20
hwalker
in reply to: dmfrazier

@dmfrazier wrote:

Since this is all happening within the same DWG file, you don't really need to do this as a "script" (in the AutoCAD sense).  This can easily be turned "horizontal" and written as a button macro:

^C^Cfiledia;0;layout;t;mytemplatefile;mylayoutname;filedia;0

I can never get the hang of doing them horizontally. I shall have to remember the ;

And it should be filedia;1 at the end to set the dialog boxes back (sorry :p)

Howard Walker
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 7 of 20
dmfrazier

Menu macro syntax is not really my forte, either, but I find it easier, and the menu macro more convenient, than creating, storing, and running a script.  In most cases I prefer to use LISP code in the menu macro anyway.

Thanks for noticing the filedia error (apology accepted Smiley Wink).

Message 8 of 20
drc_ol

Hi,

thanks for all the replies!!

The problem is i am new at all this, and it will take some time to try them all. Right now i am trying with the horizontal macro provided.

Firstly,I create the command with the text and the alterations and i gave a display name and i put it in a shortkey of the Partial customization files.

Fristly i thought the display name was what i had to put in the command line, an error because i searched and apparently you can t simply type the command??

Nonetheless even when i call him with the shotcut create nothing appens..

Message 9 of 20
drc_ol

@hwalker wrote:

Ive just worked out the following which can be run as a script file

FILEDIA 0
LAYOUT
T
2005B.DWT
A3_
FILEDIA 1

Just copy the above and paste it into a text file with a .scr extension

Change the 2005b.DWT for your template file

Change the A3_ for your layout

NOTE before you do this your template file HAS to be in the default template directory.

Thanks, i am trying this right now. It s working but it doesn t load dirreclty the template, He ask for the : Insert layout name().

I don t understand why. I created my layout  then i save it and everytime i try to open it i ask me for Insert layout name() and i have to click

at unique layout existing.

Why it doesn t assume the name of the original layout, there is a way to skip this?

Message 10 of 20
hwalker

I'm not sure why it's not working. I've attached a script file which does work. I've just tried it on my machine. As I said change the 2005b.dwt and A3_ lines for what you want.

Change the .txt extension to .scr before you run it

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 11 of 20
dmfrazier

"...and i put it in a shortkey of the Partial customization files."

Depending on how (where) the partial CUI is loaded, you might not be able to run a custom command from a shortcut key.

"Fristly i thought the display name was what i had to put in the command line, an error because i searched and apparently you can t simply type the command??"

Correct.  A "command" defined in the CUI is not available to run at the command line.

"Nonetheless even when i call him with the shotcut create nothing appens.."

Okay...here are the steps:

1. In the CUI editor, create a new "command" in your "main" CUI and give it a name that means something to you, based on its function, and a description (if you wish).

2. Copy the (corrected) macro code discussed earlier into the macro field.

3. Assign an icon image to the "command" (if you wish).

4. Put this new "command" into a toolbar (or menu) of your choice.  (This is done by drag-drop from command list pane to the appropriate section in the CUI pane.)

5. Click the OK button to save and close the CUI editor.

6. Execute the "command" by clicking the toolbar button or menu you selected at step 4.

Message 12 of 20
drc_ol

The lines works but still it ask me to choose the name of the layout, i try to put it in the code but autocad doesn t recognize it. 

I put what it shows me when i run the code and the code. Maréchal is the name of the legend of the layout i want, I wanted to know if someway i can skip this step. ( taking out Maréchal is exactly the same in the code)

Message 13 of 20
dmfrazier

Try this AutoLISP code in a button macro:

(command "_.layout" "t" "normal.dwt" "Marechal")

Note: you might have to edit "Marechal" to include your special "e" character.

When I run it with my template and any of its layout names, it works.

Message 14 of 20
hwalker

To get your special e character do ALT+0201 for a capital É and ALT+0233 for a lowercase é

As to the script not working. Where is your NORMAL.DWT located?

The directory it should be in is the one which opens up when you change the drawing type in the file open box from DWG to DWT. If it is the right place the following text is what should happen

Command: '_script
Command: FILEDIA
Enter new value for FILEDIA <1>: 0

Command: LAYOUT

Enter layout option [Copy/Delete/New/Template/Rename/SAveas/Set/?] <set>: T
Enter file name: 2005B.DWT
Enter layout name(s) or [?]: A3_
Duplicate definition of block GENAXEH  ignored.
Duplicate definition of block attriba3a  ignored.
Duplicate definition of block attriba2a  ignored.
Duplicate definition of block _Oblique  ignored.
Duplicate definition of block scalebar  ignored.
Duplicate definition of block Datum  ignored.
Press ENTER to continue:
Command: FILEDIA
Enter new value for FILEDIA <0>: 1

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 15 of 20
dmfrazier

I think the "horizontal macro" idea (using standard menu macro syntax) should be abandoned.  Using that method, a dialog/selection box appears prompting for selection of a layout, and the OP doesn't want that.

With the script, that dialog/selection box doesn't appear, so the layout name specified in the script is used (assuming it exists).

The AutoLISP code in the menu macro works the same as the script (for me, anyway).

Message 16 of 20
drc_ol

You were right about the script, the thing is i was creating in notepad and next i was copying the text and pasting in command line and it

was always prompting the layout name of the template. I wasn't able to save as .scr because i didn't have the file extension on in windows explorer.

Running it with a script in Autocad it works just fine with no irrating windows layout names prompting.

The question now is i have a script in desktop that works what is the best way to use it? Can i make a shorcut of it directly in Autocad?

Message 17 of 20
drc_ol

well, in the meantime i also create the macro and put the command in a visible toolbar and i don´t think there is a fastest way to create layout from a template.

I appreciate all the help and the patience ( i am a rookie in all this), this will help me to save a lot of time.

Regards,

David Ribeiro

Message 18 of 20
dmfrazier

"...i have a script in desktop that works what is the best way to use it? Can i make a shorcut of it directly in Autocad?"

The "best" thing to do is place a copy of that script in one of the folders listed in your Support File Search Path (Options, Files tab, Support File Search Path).  This way AutoCAD will be able to find it without including the path when you run the script command (see step #2, below).

The next thing to do is create a "command" in your CUI as I described before.  (This is essentially "mak[ing] a shortcut of it").

Here are the steps again (modified to run your script):

1. In the CUI editor, create a new "command" in your "main" CUI and give it a name that means something to you, based on its function, and a description (if you wish).

2. Place this into the macro field: (command "_.script" "scriptname") - replacing scriptname with the name of your script file (without the extension).

3. Assign an icon image to the "command" (if you wish).

4. Put this new "command" into a toolbar (or menu) of your choice.  (This is done by drag-drop from command list pane to the appropriate section in the CUI pane.)

5. Click the OK button to save and close the CUI editor.

6. Execute the "command" by clicking the toolbar button or menu you selected at step 4.

By the way, it is also possible to run an AutoCAD script by dragging-and-dropping the script file from a folder to the AutoCAD application window, but I think for the long run the button macro is best.

Just to humor me, did you ever try the AutoLISP code version of this "script" in a button macro?  Just follow the same steps listed above, but at step #2, place the following code into the macro field:

(command "_.layout" "t" "normal.dwt" "Marechal")

Note that you must edit the layout name with your special character and you must ensure the template name is correct and that AutoCAD knows where to find it.

Please don't give up. Smiley Sad

Message 19 of 20
drc_ol

All of it worked as i said before, problably you were writing the answer when i replied..:) Thanks

Message 20 of 20
dmfrazier

"...problably you were writing the answer when i replied"

Yes, I was...

I'm glad you got it to work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost