Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layers are gone!!!

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
ryanschute
594 Views, 24 Replies

Layers are gone!!!

I'm using Auto Cad 2012, I had a drawing file where I created .pdf's of all of my layers, then closed out of that drawing, and went back in maybe 10 mins. later and the only layer was my floor plan layer. none of my other layers had anything on them. I went and turned each layer on that was shut off, and there was nothing but the floor plan layer showing. Any advice?

24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: ryanschute

OP this practice of turning entire things such as the garage into a block, might not be the wisest thing to do on a regular basis. Let' say you have most of that item's layers frozen, so just some tiny thing is all that shows (say, something on the zero or defpoints layer). If you have a lot of other stuff you might in your haste delete what looks like a tiny thing, without being aware you just erased the entire garage!

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 22 of 25
ryanschute
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

we copy for example the garage plan, and move it off our title block and change the layer to lets say the elevation layer. we then cut and paste it as a block and draw the construction lines off the block. if we delete the block that's fine, we still have the original on the garage layer.

Message 23 of 25
pendean

This seems to have drifted from the original quest: was there a resolution? Simply looking at the posted file Q7741 originally posted: after purging there are only 6-layers in there with not much of anything else. Actual file is only 119k is size.
Message 24 of 25
ryanschute
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

There hasn't been a solution for the layers not having anything on them all of a sudden. Alot of good ideas, but probably will just have to redraw the layers that are missing. This is drawing is for a potential homeowner so alot of the other drawings haven't been completed yet, that's probably why the file is small.

Message 25 of 25
pendean

Based solely on the file you posted, it has no content beyond what you see: the missing content got deleted.
There is nothing in the DWG file to recover. It is what it is.

Look for your backups, see if the BAK file is still intact, and if you use it look for the autosave SV$ (it's usually dumped into your Windows User Account temp folder). Simply rename the extensions (make sure Windows Explorer is set to show file extensions).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost