Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG Files Stuck On Windows Server

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
AQucsaiJr
588 Views, 2 Replies

DWG Files Stuck On Windows Server

I have been working with my IT staff and have hit an end. My issue is many users in my office get drawings stuck in a READ state on the server, even though it is not open on there machine and in some cases this stuck files remains even after the users machine is restarted. As there is no othre program or file type having this same issue it must be somthing with AutoCAD and I need to figure out how to fix it.

This is what happens...

- User opens a drawing and recieves no error message or prompt to alert them that the drawing is stuck in a READ state on anouther users name.

- The user proceeds to make changes as they would normally do.

- When the user tries to save the changes they get an one of a few errors...

1. They get an error saying somthing like drawing open in anouther session.

2. They get an error saying drawing could not be saved, temporary drawing created.

3. They get no error and the drawing not only does not save but it removes itself form the originating folder.

- I have ordered these erros showing from 1 - 3 with 1 being the error that happens the most and 3 being the error that happens the least.

If you have any suggestion please let me know.

Also I did find this article which was close but did not fix my issue.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
sthompson1021
in reply to: AQucsaiJr

Hi, here is a link to another thread with the same issue. I had it happen to me too and know it's frustrating but I don't think anyone has posted a solution that works for everyone. It seems like everything points to network issues. Do a search on the forum and you will find a lot more posts about the issue. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2010-2011-2012-DWG/AutoCAD-2010-unable-to-save-drawing-as-it-i...

Message 3 of 3
bryce.thelin
in reply to: AQucsaiJr

This might be from the DWL and DWL2 files not being deleted. You may not have rights on the server that allows AutoCAD to remove these files once you close a drawing. It might also be possible for the server to not be releasing these specific file types.

It may also have to do with permissions on the .BAK file that AutoCAD creates when saving. Have a look at this link:

http://qvlweb.blogspot.com/2009/03/autocad-error-unable-to-save-to-drawing.html

Bryce Thelin
AutoCAD Product Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost