Did you mean: 

Command Line Switches/Freezing ACAD 2012

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
SRayC
496 Views, 7 Replies

Command Line Switches/Freezing ACAD 2012

W7 ACAD2012

After adding a command line switch (/p "MyProfile") ) to my shortuct icon, ACAD has started freezing when launched. This was a very simple modification to the standard profile. Thinking it was the change, I created another shortcut that calls the standard "<<Unnamed Profile>>" with the same result.

When I saved the change to the shortcut I got a Admin notification aout supply theadmin password.

BTW

ACAD had been launching fine for several weeks until I made this change.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ray C.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
SRayC
in reply to: SRayC

Sorry wrong function. Actually Startup Switch /p

Ray C.

Message 3 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> ACAD has started freezing when launched

That happens sometimes or everytime you launch AutoCAD?

>> After adding a command line switch (/p "MyProfile") ) to my shortuct icon [...]

Did this profile exist before you changed your Desktop-icon?

>> When I saved the change to the shortcut I got a Admin notification aout supply theadmin password

That depends on the permissions of the icon (or better the folder in which the icon is saved). For desktop icons there exist more than just one folder.

C:\Users\<your login name>\Desktop ==> there you can do what you want

Desktop-icons stored in other folder and shown on the desktop depend on other permission settings, sometimes you can modify an icon, sometimes create a file (so done with copying the icon) but not change afterwards.

So the best option is to open the explorer and create icons in the personal desktop folder shown above, then you can edit the content.

If you have not done to much customization you can go the Windows start menu ==> and search in the AutoCAD's group to reset the AutoCAD profile settings to default.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 8
SRayC
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

>> It will function at leat once after a reboot. Then from then on fail everytime.

>> Yes, I created the profile in ACAD first from the default profile (Unnamed Profile).

>> Good point about the folder location and permissions of the folder & icon. Neglected to check that. Most likely it was NOT under my user name.

(Can't check it right now, uninstalled ACAD, persuing another possibility.)

>> Tried the Reset to Default. That work to some degree.

All my tries of resolution worked somewhat but not consistnatly. When I switched from one profile to another via the icons it would eventually fail.

Message 5 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> When I switched from one profile to another via the icons it would eventually fail.

Seems like you have not enough permissions to write to registry or some user-paths. Ask your admin to give you a day or two local admin permissions ... then you have the option to right-click the desktop icon and start AutoCAD with the option "Start as Administrator". That might help to to some (clean) basic settings for the profile.

Good luck, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 6 of 8
SRayC
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks Alfred for all your help.

After uninstalling and a clean install this is what I have found.

I do have full admin rights on my machine. The install (by our IT guys with their login and deployment) places the shortcut in the C:\Users\Public\Desktop folder. I can start ACAD all day long without issue. When I copy this icon and place it on/in my user desktop (C:\Users\myloginID\Desktop) and not make any other changes to the shortcut it will launch ACAD fine. As soon as I use the original icon it will launch ACAD but freezes for a good 30 seconds (after acad becomes visible), eventually it will become active. From then on out no matter which icon I use to launch ACAD it goes through this freeze time delay.

If you don't have any further insight maybe if any Autodesk guys are watching they could lend some help.

Thanks

Ray C.

Message 7 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> From then on out no matter which icon I use to launch ACAD it goes through this freeze time delay.

And when the admin logs in and starts AutoCAD within his account ... does he/she also have the 30s delay?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 8 of 8
jggerth

Install Process Monitor from microsoft, and play around with that to see what's actually happening during the freeze.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost