Announcements
Due to the announced changes for ArtCAM (click here to learn more), the ArtCAM Ideastation was moved to the Read-Only Archive on December 10, 2018.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D or 3D start up View

2D or 3D start up View

I've heard so many complains about the switch to the 3D view at start up in 2017, and as you can't please everybody.

How about giving us a a choice in the options settings as to which screen we want to start up with?

Gary

16 Comments
PLAS1991
Advocate
The best solution is to integrate 2d and 3d in one page 3D .And the development of 3d Like zbrush program.
Gary.B
Advisor

Contributor
‎01-04-2017 01:21 PM
The best solution is to integrate 2d and 3d in one page 3D

Definitely disagree. It's the cabinet people that I train who don't use the 3d side have raised the issue here.

secondly bmp images are absolutely lousy to work with, when vectorizing in the 3d view compared to the 2d view.

I find it easier to do vectors in 2d (less errors) then go to 3d for building the relief

Gary

Willboyer5985
Contributor

We have 3D CNC machines (X,Y, and Z) and the 3D view is slow to work with. The only time we use it is for simulation so I like your suggestion of giving us a choice.

Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hi @Gary.B,

How would you prefer for this idea to be implemented? I can see a couple of feasible options here:

• A check box or some other option control on the Options panel.
  • ArtCAM automatically stores the last-used view when closing the model, so that it is shown when the model is next opened.

Please let me know your thoughts so that I can refer this to the Development team.

Thanks in advance for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Status changed to: Under Review

Hi @Gary.B, @PLAS199@sjordan@rchampagne , @alex2027, @tarik.balcan, @tomas.sliauteris, @ewshp, @Willboyer5985 & @chorn,

The Development team are now investigating implementing this idea for the ability to control whether the 2D or 3D View is displayed when creating or opening a new model.

Which of the following would you prefer?

• A check box or some other option control on the Options panel.
  • ArtCAM automatically stores the last-used view when closing the model, so that it is shown when the model is next opened.

Please advise.

Kind regards,

Dillon Moulder

alex2027
Explorer

Hi Dillon,

If ArtCAM automatically stored the last-used view when closing the model would it use that view when opening a new model

or only when opening the same model?

If its the later then the check box option would be better for us.

Alex

Hi @alex2027,

I expect that the Development team could implement either, and a majority preference is what we're trying to establish here.

So, to be clear, your preference is that the last-used view (2D or 3D view) would be shown regardless of whether you're opening the same model, opening a different model, or creating a new model? Please confirm.

Kind regards,

Dillon Moulder

alex2027
Explorer

Hi Dillon,

Yes that is correct, for us being able to choose to always start in 2D view would be perfect.

Thanks

Alex

sjordan
Explorer

Hi Dillon,

I would prefer a check box or some other option control in the Options panel.

Thanks,

Steve

Willboyer5985
Contributor

Everyone,

Why not have a radio button group (choose one from the list) in the Options where the choices are:

Start-Up in...

• 2D View
  • 3D View
  • Last-used View

Thanks,

Will

Status changed to: Implemented

Many thanks to all involved for your contributions to the discussion regarding this idea.

The Development team have now implemented a Start new models in the 3D view check box in the Options panel's Miscellaneous settings:

Options-Miscellaneous-StartNewModels.png

With the check box selected, the 3D View is displayed when you create a new model; with the check box deselected, the 2D View is displayed when you create a new model. When you save a model, information about the active view is now stored so that when you open the model again, the last-used view is displayed. 

These changes will be included as part of a future software update. At this moment in time, I do not know when this software update will be delivered; I'll be sure to keep you updated on its availability.

Kind regards,

Dillon Moulder

ewshp
Advocate

Hi everyone,

Sorry to be late replying, been away for a couple of weeks

I would prefer a checkbox in the options panel so users can freely choose how to start ArtCAM

Sam

Gary.B
Advisor

Yes to check box in the options.

my question to the above image which states "Start new models in the 3D view"

shouldn't that be "open model in 3D file" ?

I would expect which ever is selected would be for both new and existing models

Gary

Hi @Gary.B,

@Gary.B wrote:

my question to the above image which states "Start new models in the 3D view"

shouldn't that be "open model in 3D file" ?

I would expect which ever is selected would be for both new and existing models

The check box naming is correct, as it controls whether the 3D View or 2D View is displayed when you create a new model; it does not determine which view is displayed when you open an existing model. The in-line help associated with the check box reads: "This sets whether to start new models with the 3D view or the 2D view initially selected."

In future, when opening an existing model, the view which was active when you last saved and closed the model will be displayed. For example, if the 2D View was displayed when saving and closing your model, when you next open the same model, the 2D View will be displayed.

Kind regards,

This functionality is included in the Autodesk ArtCAM 2018 release, which is now available to customers with an active subscription or maintenance plan.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report