Community
ArtCAM Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ArtCAM Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ArtCAM topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to open 2015 files in 2017

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
craigcis
2320 Views, 24 Replies

Unable to open 2015 files in 2017

Since installing Autodesk Artcam 2017, I am unable to open any of the projects and reliefs that I have been building and saving since 1994.  When I try to do so, I get a message telling me that I need a dongle to open these files.  Well, I plugged my 2015 dongle in and still the same message.  Next, I went back and re-installed 2015 to try to work it there.  Guess what?  Now I can't open them there any more.

Up until this point I have been willing to put up with a lot of the garbage that the programmers did to a perfectly good program, but this is the last straw.  All that has been done in this version is that you have re-arranged the furniture and re-painted the walls, making us re-learn where the icons are and what they look like, then you make it so that I cannot access over 20 years worth of files, and you call it an upgrade.  B.S. this is a downgrade!  Fix it!

I need to get to my files and use them.  I did not save them because I think that it is cool to to take up space on my drive.

What are you going to do about it?

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
dillon.moulder
in reply to: craigcis

Hi @craigcis,

@craigcis wrote:

Since installing Autodesk Artcam 2017, I am unable to open any of the projects and reliefs that I have been building and saving since 1994.  When I try to do so, I get a message telling me that I need a dongle to open these files.  Well, I plugged my 2015 dongle in and still the same message.  Next, I went back and re-installed 2015 to try to work it there.  Guess what?  Now I can't open them there any more.

Up until this point I have been willing to put up with a lot of the garbage that the programmers did to a perfectly good program, but this is the last straw.  All that has been done in this version is that you have re-arranged the furniture and re-painted the walls, making us re-learn where the icons are and what they look like, then you make it so that I cannot access over 20 years worth of files, and you call it an upgrade.  B.S. this is a downgrade!  Fix it!

I need to get to my files and use them.  I did not save them because I think that it is cool to to take up space on my drive.

What are you going to do about it?

Accepted solutions for issues with opening legacy ArtCAM Model files (*.art) and ArtCAM Relief files (*.rlf) in Autodesk ArtCAM Premium 2017 have been available for quite some time, and have already been discussed on the Autodesk Community ArtCAM Forum. You can use Search This Board to find these solutions.

Please refer to this article and this article in the Autodesk Knowledge Network, and this topic from the ArtCAM Forum.

The new functionality, changes and enhancements included in the Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 product range are documented in:

• the What's New, displayed by selecting the Help > What's New menu option in your Autodesk ArtCAM Premium 2017 software; and
  • the release notes provided with each of the six service pack releases for the Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 product range (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6).

If you have any further questions, you're welcome to ask them here or to create and submit a case from your Autodesk Account requesting assistance from Autodesk Support. Otherwise, please be so kind as to accept my response as a solution. Thanks in advance for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Message 3 of 25
craigcis
in reply to: dillon.moulder

I had already tried all of these "fixes", using both 2015 and 2017 to no avail..  The only way that I could even find the files was by going outside of Artcam and following the file path manually in Windows.  That is when I was told that I need a dongle.  When I attempted to find the files by using the "fixes", I got the message that there were no files found in the folder.  Files that are clearly visible in Windows became invisible in all versions of Artcam after I installed 2017.  So don't get snippy with me about how I should have read the threads and seen the "fixes" there.  Educate your head before you go talking out of your back side.  Thanks for the non-support.

Message 4 of 25
dillon.moulder

Hi @craigcis,

@craigcis wrote:

I had already tried all of these "fixes", using both 2015 and 2017 to no avail..  The only way that I could even find the files was by going outside of Artcam and following the file path manually in Windows.  That is when I was told that I need a dongle.  When I attempted to find the files by using the "fixes", I got the message that there were no files found in the folder.  Files that are clearly visible in Windows became invisible in all versions of Artcam after I installed 2017.  So don't get snippy with me about how I should have read the threads and seen the "fixes" there.  Educate your head before you go talking out of your back side.  Thanks for the non-support.

Please refer to the Autodesk Community's Etiquette & Ground Rules before posting again:

@camilo.lemos wrote:

What are the Autodesk Community Guidelines?

We encourage our members to post all their thoughts, opinions and criticism in a productive manner. Here are some basic do's and don'ts of the Autodesk Community:

• Keep it constructive! We all have our angry moments but refrain from posting inflammatory, non-constructive or flat out insulting comments.
  • Keep it civil! Personal attacks and derogatory comments go against the collaborative and supportive nature of our forums and can run the risk of getting you banned.

If you'd prefer to receive support from another Autodesk staff member, then you're most welcome to create and submit a case from your Autodesk Account.

You must use ArtCAM JewelSmith 2015 R2 to batch convert your ArtCAM Model files (*.art) and ArtCAM Relief files (*.rlf). Therefore:

• Have you used the File Convertor add-in in ArtCAM JewelSmith 2015 R2 to batch convert your ArtCAM Model files (*.art)?
  • Have you used the Batch Convert Reliefs add-in in ArtCAM JewelSmith 2015 R2 to batch convert your ArtCAM Relief files (*.rlf)?

Please confirm.

I'm not sure what you mean by files becoming "invisible", so please use Autodesk Screencast to create and share a screencast demonstrating the issue that you're trying to describe. You can find instructions on how to embed a screencast when posting to the Autodesk Community forums here.

Thanks in advance for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Message 5 of 25
craigcis

Well, I just uninstalled 2017 and now 2015 works as advertised again.  Needless to say, I have just flushed 2017, and will not bother with it any more.  I had delayed buying another year of "Maintenance" because I wanted to see how the Autodesk acquisition of Artcam was going to affect the program etc.  I am very happy that I did.  No more maintenance for me.  I will stick with 2015, which is a wonderful program that has mad lots of money for me.  In the 23 years since I first began using Artcam there have been issues, but none that could be considered game enders.  Overall, Artcam has been good for me and my business, making money for me and lightening my work load.  Now I am looking at something so different from anything that I have ever seen with Delcam, and I don't like it one bit.  Changing the icons etc was a nuisance, but the issue of file accessibility is one step too far.  Needless to say, I will not be continuing with Artcam unless this problem is solved properly.  So for the time being, I will not be continuing with the maintenance program, as I just don't see the bang for my buck.  Dillon, you make a great sales person for Rhino.

Message 6 of 25
dillon.moulder

Hi @craigcis,

@craigcis wrote:

I just uninstalled 2017 and now 2015 works as advertised again.  Needless to say, I have just flushed 2017, and will not bother with it any more.  I had delayed buying another year of "Maintenance" because I wanted to see how the Autodesk acquisition of Artcam was going to affect the program etc.  I am very happy that I did.  No more maintenance for me.  I will stick with 2015, which is a wonderful program that has mad lots of money for me.  In the 23 years since I first began using Artcam there have been issues, but none that could be considered game enders.  Overall, Artcam has been good for me and my business, making money for me and lightening my work load.  Now I am looking at something so different from anything that I have ever seen with Delcam, and I don't like it one bit.  Changing the icons etc was a nuisance, but the issue of file accessibility is one step too far.  Needless to say, I will not be continuing with Artcam unless this problem is solved properly.  So for the time being, I will not be continuing with the maintenance program, as I just don't see the bang for my buck.

Autodesk acquired Delcam on 6th February 2014, and Delcam was absorbed into Autodesk on 1st August 2016. The Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 product range was released in August 2016. You might find this article in the Autodesk Knowledge Network article useful.

The Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 product range does not conflict with the ArtCAM 2015 product range, or any other legacy ArtCAM product range released by Delcam. The Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 product range does not utilize a USB security-protection dongle.

ArtCAM Model files (*.art) and ArtCAM Relief files (*.rlf) originating from legacy ArtCAM software versions between 2013.SP2 and 2015 R2.SP3 are compatible with the Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 product range.

ArtCAM Model files (*.art) originating from legacy ArtCAM software versions between 9 and 2013.SP1 can be batch converted to be made compatible with the Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 product range by following the instructions given in this article. ArtCAM Relief files (*.rlf) can be batch converted to be made compatible with the Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 product range by following the instructions given in this article. ArtCAM Project files (*.3dp) cannot be batch converted.

Your Autodesk maintenance plan recently expired. Please refer to this article regarding Autodesk maintenance plans and perpetual licenses.

Should you need a replacement USB security-protection dongle for your ArtCAM JewelSmith 2015 R2 software in future, please note that this provision is only available to customers with an active Autodesk maintenance plan; this was previously discussed here.

Thanks in advance for your time and understanding.

Kind regards,

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous

I absolutely do not have this problem with any files I made with 2015.  I even can see all the files.  Before 2015 I am having issues.  Which is going to cause me untold grief as I try to convert over 20 years of artwork.  Thank god some of it was made into blocks and vectors.  I am just getting into the nitty gritty of what I cannot use anymore.  I have not even tried to use reliefs that are saved as base files.  Not good if your a manufacturer.

Anyone have experience with reliefs and the new software.  I am going to tackle some of that today. 

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

OK now I am running into the Dongle wall on some files.  Some open no problem all the way back to 2014.  Then some in the same range say a dongle is required.  This is not going to bode well for my employee that has to sort through my old projects that we still manufacture.  Especially since we have been changing a lot of things over for the 3dprinters.

It seems to be hit and miss.

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous

OK so how does this work.  I have to have the dongle inserted to access old files in 2017 or do I have to install 2015 on the new computer to get that to work?  I guess I am going to have to back read on all of this.  Pin a procedure somewhere for easy access.  Software is suppose to make your life easier not harder.

This is becoming an exercise in my brain of justifying why I continue to use this software...  I press on and will keep folks posted on how well I cope and endure not having all my artwork at the touch of my fingers anymore.

What compounds this is we are installing new computers at work.  So I have to reload a ton of software and get everything to work.

Message 10 of 25
dillon.moulder

Hi @Anonymous,

@Anonymous wrote:

I absolutely do not have this problem with any files I made with 2015.  I even can see all the files.

You shouldn't encounter issues with opening ArtCAM proprietary files (*.art, *.3dp or *.rlf) originating from any version of ArtCAM between 2013.SP2 and 2015 R2.SP3 in Autodesk ArtCAM Premium 2017.

@Anonymous wrote:

Before 2015 I am having issues.

You will need to batch convert your ArtCAM Model files (*.art) originating from any version of ArtCAM between 9 and 2013.SP1 using ArtCAM JewelSmith 2015 R2 alongside the File Convertor add-in, as documented in this article in the Autodesk Knowledge Network.

You will need to open and re-save your ArtCAM Project files (*.3dp) (and each of the Models stored within those files) originating from any version of ArtCAM prior to 2013.SP1 in ArtCAM JewelSmith 2015 R2, as there is no method for batch converting ArtCAM Project files (*.3dp).

@Anonymous wrote:

I have not even tried to use reliefs that are saved as base files.

You can batch convert your ArtCAM Relief files (*.rlf) using ArtCAM JewelSmith 2015 R2 alongside the Batch Convert Reliefs add-in, as documented in this article in the Autodesk Knowledge Network.

Many other customers have already followed these steps, as you will find by browsing through the Accepted Solutions. For example, here.

Kind regards,

Message 11 of 25
dillon.moulder

Hi @Anonymous,

@Anonymous wrote:

OK so how does this work. I have to have the dongle inserted to access old files in 2017 or do I have to install 2015 on the new computer to get that to work?

The Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 product range does not utilize a USB security-protection dongle at all. You do not need to have the USB security-protection dongle associated with your legacy ArtCAM software connected to your computer to use Autodesk ArtCAM Premium 2017.

You will need to have your ArtCAM USB security-protection dongle connected to your computer when batch converting your ArtCAM Model files (*.art) and ArtCAM Relief files (*.rlf) in ArtCAM JewelSmith 2015 R2, and when opening and re-saving your ArtCAM Project files (*.3dp) in ArtCAM JewelSmith 2015 R2, in order to make your files originating from 2013.SP1 or earlier compatible with Autodesk ArtCAM Premium 2017.

Again, please read this article and this article in the Autodesk Knowledge Network, as they provide all of the information you require when it comes to incompatible ArtCAM Model files (*.art) and ArtCAM Relief files (*.rlf).

Thanks again for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Message 12 of 25
dillon.moulder

Hi @Anonymous,

@Anonymous wrote:

Some open no problem all the way back to 2014.

This indicates that these particular ArtCAM Relief files (*.rlf) originate from 2013.SP2 or later, or were saved in the ArtCAM 9 Relief File (*.rlf) format.

@Anonymous wrote:

Then some in the same range say a dongle is required.

This indicates that these particular ArtCAM Relief files (*.rlf) originate from 2013.SP1 or earlier, were saved in the ArtCAM Reliefs (*.rlf) format, and have not yet been batch converted using the Batch Convert Reliefs add-in.

Kind regards,

Message 13 of 25
craigcis

Thank you for your input twidget007.  None of these issues should have happened with an "upgrade."  Upgrades are supposed to be improvements that make the user experience better, not worse.  They did make some nice improvements, such as giving us more real estate to work in, but the downgrades far outweigh the upgrades.  When the user/customer who has paid as much as we have for a product, is forced to jump through hoops to use that product, it is just wrong.  Additionally, the file acquisition issues are just the tip of the iceberg.  What was the reason for changing the appearance of all the icons, and hiding so many of them in the margins?  That has actually decreased my productivity by forcing me to go hunting for them until I finally get re-accustomed to the desktop arrangement.  They have done this in the past, and I held my tongue, but enough is enough.

When the program first came out, the twiddling option was the default, and that worked very well for me.  But since 2015 it must now be selected manually, and when they first changed it, I had to go hunting for the twiddle icon, which they had hidden in the margins.  If I forgot to do this, it threw my vectors up in the 3d view.  Very frustrating and time robbing.  

I could go on and on, but I don't believe that it would do any good.  I was one of the very first hand full of Artcam users when it first came out in the early 90's.  That's over 23 years of continuous use of this program.  Through that time, I had a few issues with it from time to time, but for the most part, I enjoyed using it and found that my productivity was greatly enhanced.  But no more.  Telling me that they will not even replace a lost or damaged dongle for the relatively small fee that they used to, unless I am on maintenance is absolute BLACK MAIL!  Let it be known right here and now that I do not respond well to this kind of sales tactic.  My response to Autodesk is that they can put it where the sun never shines.  

I already have Rhino in my tool box, and will be relying on it more and more heavily, until I have completely weaned myself off of Artcam.  

So long, Autodesk!

Message 14 of 25
dillon.moulder

Hi @craigcis,

@craigcis wrote:

When the program first came out, the twiddling option was the default, and that worked very well for me.  But since 2015 it must now be selected manually

When working in ArtCAM JewelSmith 2015 R2 or Autodesk ArtCAM Premium 2017, you do not have to select the Twiddle View tool in the View Manipulation toolbar to rotate the view. You can also left-click and drag while holding down the Space bar.

This is documented in the Keyboard shortcuts and mouse controls > Using the mouse > Common mouse controls section of the Reference Help, which is displayed by selecting the Help > Contents menu option.

In addition, the Tool Settings: Select Tool panel, displayed by pressing the F6 key, includes a Twiddle in 3D check box. With the Twiddle in 3D check box selected, you can rotate the view by left-clicking and dragging the mouse; you do not need to hold down the Space bar or select the Twiddle View tool in the View Manipulation toolbar.

Kind regards,

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous

I am hitting the wall today.  I have a project that started in 2010 and 2013.  Now we are going to modify that part and make new dies to manufacturer that.  While I can see the assembly when I open the file, when I go to open the model I get the "needs a dongle to open"  That alone puts the breaks on a glitch free work flow.  When I got to spend more time looking for a dongle or switching to the old version to convert it really is not good.  I suppose as time goes on it will get better but having to fart around to be able to use art that is older than 10 years sucks wind.  It is like having to recreate the wheel.

Also having a relief and not having the corresponding art or vectors suks wind.

Anyway lets see how this all pans out.

Message 16 of 25
dillon.moulder

Hi @Anonymous,

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a project that started in 2010 and 2013.  Now we are going to modify that part and make new dies to manufacturer that.  While I can see the assembly when I open the file, when I go to open the model I get the "needs a dongle to open"  That alone puts the breaks on a glitch free work flow.  When I got to spend more time looking for a dongle or switching to the old version to convert it really is not good.

As well as opening and re-saving the ArtCAM Project file (*.3dp), you need to open and re-save each of the ArtCAM Models (*.art) within that ArtCAM Project file (*.3dp). You only need to complete this task once for the ArtCAM Project file (*.3dp).

Please confirm whether you followed these exact steps:

1. Start ArtCAM JewelSmith 2015 R2.SP3 (64-bit build 860).
  2. Open your ArtCAM Project file (*.3dp).
  3. Open each of the Models within the Project (listed in the Project tree below the Models item) in turn, and save each of them.
  4. Save the ArtCAM Project file (*.3dp).
  5. Close the ArtCAM Project file (*.3dp).
  6. Shut down ArtCAM JewelSmith 2015 R2.SP3 (64-bit build 860).
  7. Start Autodesk ArtCAM Premium 2017 Service Pack 6 (build 273).
  8. Open the ArtCAM Project file (*.3dp).
  9. Open each of the Models within the Project file in turn.

@Anonymous wrote:

Also having a relief and not having the corresponding art or vectors suks wind.

Unless you exported an ArtCAM Relief file (*.rlf) but failed to save the ArtCAM Model file (*.art) or ArtCAM Project file (*.3dp) in which the relief was created, I'm not sure why you'd ever find yourself in that situation. Please explain further.

Kind regards,

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous

I got all of that Dillon but I am now not the only one working with the software.  We have 2 seats.  And I have to now go in and open each and every model file.  Work flow is going to take a big hit.  It is what it is.

Only what it has become is an obstruction.  I have and do pay enough in maintenance and sub price that work should not be hampered.  But what else can we do?  We have to now jump through a series of steps to access previous artwork.  I wonder how many man hours its going to take to keep making the conversions every time we need a stone layout or a ring base.

I do laugh a tad at the absurdity of it all.

PS not to mention all the badge files we do...  

Message 18 of 25
dillon.moulder

Hi @Anonymous,

@Anonymous wrote:

I got all of that but I am now not the only one working with the software.  We have 2 seats.  And I have to now go in and open each and every model file.  Work flow is going to take a big hit.  It is what it is.

Only what it has become is an obstruction.  I have and do pay enough in maintenance and sub price that work should not be hampered.  But what else can we do?  We have to now jump through a series of steps to access previous artwork.  I wonder how many man hours its going to take to keep making the conversions every time we need a stone layout or a ring base.

If you followed the steps in my previous post, I would not expect you to encounter any warning messages when opening your ArtCAM Project file (*.3dp), or any of the Models within it.

You don't have to open and re-save each and every ArtCAM Model file (*.art); only those saved within an ArtCAM Project file (*.3dp). All other ArtCAM Model files (*.art) can be batch converted in a single session of ArtCAM JewelSmith 2015 R2.SP3 (64-bit build 860) using the File Convertor add-in. This add-in automates the process of opening and saving ArtCAM Model files (*.art). If you create a copy of all of your ArtCAM Model files (*.art) into a single folder, you can batch convert them all in succession during a single instance of using the File Convertor add-in. I've done this myself, and on behalf of others, without any issues and in very little time.

All of your ArtCAM Model files (*.art) and ArtCAM Project files (*.3dp) originating from ArtCAM 2013.SP1 and earlier are encrypted using the USB security-protection dongle. The Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 product range does not utilize a USB security-protection dongle, and therefore it cannot decrypt your ArtCAM Model files (*.art) and ArtCAM Project files (*.3dp) originating from ArtCAM 2013.SP1 and earlier.

None of Autodesk's products utilize a USB security-protection dongle, so a necessary part of the transition from Delcam to Autodesk was to remove any dependency on the USB security-protection dongle. None of the ex-Delcam products adopted by Autodesk use a USB security-protection dongle now. For example, ArtCAM, PowerMill, PowerShape, PowerInspect and FeatureCAM.

Thanks again for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Message 19 of 25
mrsande1

I recently received from files from a friend, that are in artcam pro (I think v2011).  When i tried to open them using the v2018, it cant, telling me that the data is "invalid/data file versoin"  I have read all the previous threads on this, and even tried to install the v2015 demo version to see if i can convert, but no such luck.

What are my options here?  I have about 6 files that i would like to open, and either convert to fusion or autocad (or i might consider artcad if i can get it to work [using the free version right now]).

again, i've tried to install the 2015 R2 version, but it wont let me save the converted files.

thank you

Michael Sanders

Message 20 of 25
prashant.gurav
in reply to: mrsande1

Hi @mrsande1,

Welcome to the Autodesk Community and the ArtCAM Forum.

@mrsande1 wrote:

I recently received from files from a friend, that are in artcam pro (I think v2011).  When i tried to open them using the v2018, it cant, telling me that the data is "invalid/data file version"  I have read all the previous threads on this, and even tried to install the v2015 demo version to see if i can convert, but no such luck.

What are my options here?  I have about 6 files that i would like to open, and either convert to fusion or autocad (or i might consider artcad if i can get it to work [using the free version right now]).

again, i've tried to install the 2015 R2 version, but it wont let me save the converted files.

What version and build of ArtCAM 2015 are you working in? To confirm this, select the Help > About ArtCAM menu option in your ArtCAM software. For example, ArtCAM Insignia 2015 R2 (64-bit build 814). Please provide a screenshot of the full About box.

You can use Autodesk Screencast to create and share a screencast demonstrating the issue that you're describing. Please find instructions on how to embed a screencast when posting to the Autodesk Community forums here.

You're welcome to send the files you need converting to artcam-online-support@autodesk.com. If successful, we'll then send the converted files to you by return email.

Kind regards,

Prashant.G

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report