Community
ArtCAM Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ArtCAM Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ArtCAM topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving and Importing Vectors

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
797 Views, 4 Replies

Saving and Importing Vectors

Hi...Ive recently discovered that if I create a file in Artcam 2013, I can't then open up in Standard, or vice versa. Ive also recently lost a lot of files due to a computer crash. Therefore, as files from one program to another cannot be accessed...is it possible to save just the vectors that I have or may create in the future, and import them between programs? All id have to do then is add the tool paths etc. Its more the vectors i may need to use, not so much the tool paths etc. Also...in Artcam 2013 for instance...can i just save the vectors? Same goes for Standard. 

Cheers.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dillon.moulder
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

@Anonymous wrote:

Ive recently discovered that if I create a file in Artcam 2013, I can't then open up in Standard, or vice versa. Ive also recently lost a lot of files due to a computer crash. Therefore, as files from one program to another cannot be accessed...is it possible to save just the vectors that I have or may create in the future, and import them between programs? All id have to do then is add the tool paths etc. Its more the vectors i may need to use, not so much the tool paths etc. Also...in Artcam 2013 for instance...can i just save the vectors? Same goes for Standard.

So long as your ArtCAM Model files (*.art) have been saved in ArtCAM Express 2013.SP4 (64-bit build 303), you can open them in Autodesk ArtCAM Standard 2017; please refer to this article in the Autodesk Knowledge Network. You won't be able to open ArtCAM Model files (*.art) originating from Autodesk ArtCAM Standard 2017 in ArtCAM Express 2013 though.

I suggest that you keep a backup copy of all of your ArtCAM Model files (*.art) originating from ArtCAM Express 2013.SP4 (64-bit build 303), so if you need to revert to using ArtCAM Express from Autodesk ArtCAM Standard, you still have a full set of compatible files.

You can export vector artwork from ArtCAM Express 2013 and import it into Autodesk ArtCAM Standard 2017, or export vector artwork from Autodesk ArtCAM Standard 2017 and import it into ArtCAM Express 2013.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Otherwise, please be so kind as to accept my response as a solution. Thanks in advance for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: dillon.moulder

Ok, thanks again Dillon. Could I ask...just so I make sure I do it right...if i create a vector on Artcam 2013, how do I go about saving that as a vector file (not .art file). What i'd like to do is create some of my gifts that I make, save them as vectors then upload them to the cloud so that I won't lose them again, and also so that I can open them up in either artcam 2013 or Standard. Thanks.

Message 4 of 5
dillon.moulder
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

@Anonymous wrote:

if i create a vector on Artcam 2013, how do I go about saving that as a vector file (not .art file). What i'd like to do is create some of my gifts that I make, save them as vectors then upload them to the cloud so that I won't lose them again, and also so that I can open them up in either artcam 2013 or Standard.

To export your vector artwork from an open model in ArtCAM Express 2013.SP4 (build 303):

1. Select the vector artwork that you want to export.
  2. Select the Vectors > Export menu option. The Vector Export dialog is displayed.
  3. Click the Save as type list, then select the file format in which you want to export the vector artwork. For example, EPS (*.eps).
  4. Type the name you want to give to the file in the File name box.
  5. Click Save.

To import your vector artwork into an open model in ArtCAM Express 2013.SP4 (build 303):

1. Select the Vectors > Import menu option. The Vector Import dialog is displayed.
  2. Select the file that you want to import.
  3. Click Open.

To import your vector artwork into an open model in Autodesk ArtCAM Standard 2017:

1. Select the Vector > Import menu option. The Vector Import dialog is displayed.
  2. Select the file that you want to import.
  3. Click Open.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Otherwise, please be so kind as to accept my response as a solution. Thanks in advance for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: dillon.moulder

Just an FYI if you have both files (a new one and the old one) open at once you can just cut and past the old into the new.  Then you at least can have all that drawn art in a worksheet that you can get to as you organize it.

Some that came from a drafting background have spent years making blocks of vectors.  Especially stone layouts and such.  To lose access to so much work is really a ding on work flow.... It is like recreating the wheel.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report