Community
ArtCAM Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ArtCAM Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ArtCAM topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotary vector cutting error, URGENT.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mihkel2UJZE
515 Views, 5 Replies

Rotary vector cutting error, URGENT.

I currently useing artcam 2017 premium. I have to cut some organic shaped holes into D-8mm silver tube. So I have created rotary axis, imported vectors and wrapped them around the tube with the toolpath (please refer to file in attachments). When viewing the toolpath, everything seems to be ok exept that after cutting, there are some weird straight lines in the midel of the tube (chek attachment image) and it looks like the vectors are not continued to the other side. Machine that is used is Roland MDX540. I have already broken few blades trying some different g-code output formats so I am not too willing to play around with those anymore. Any input to whatever I am missing here is greatly appreciated.

Mihkel

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi @mihkel2UJZE,

Welcome to the Autodesk Community and the ArtCAM Forum!

@mihkel2UJZE wrote:

I currently using ArtCAM 2017 Premium. I have to cut some organic shaped holes into D-8mm silver tube. So I have created rotary axis, imported vectors and wrapped them around the tube with the toolpath (please refer to file in attachments). When viewing the toolpath, everything seems to be ok except that after cutting, there are some weird straight lines in the middle of the tube (check attachment image) and it looks like the vectors are not continued to the other side. Machine that is used is Roland MDX540. I have already broken few blades trying some different g-code output formats so I am not too willing to play around with those anymore. Any input to whatever I am missing here is greatly appreciated.

Have you created and submitted a support case from your Autodesk Account using the instructions given here? If you have not, please do so now.

What build of Autodesk ArtCAM Premium 2017 are you working in? To confirm this, select the Help > About Autodesk ArtCAM menu option in your Autodesk ArtCAM Premium 2017 software. For example, Autodesk ArtCAM Premium 2017 Service Pack 3 (build 238).

When saving your toolpaths from Autodesk ArtCAM Premium 2017, what post-processor option are you selecting from the Save Toolpaths dialog's Machine file format list? Please check and confirm. Are you using any controller software alongside your Roland MDX-540 CNC mill? Please confirm. 

In addition, please share a screencast created in Autodesk Screencast showing the necessary steps to reproduce this issue.

Thanks in advance for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Message 3 of 6

Thank you for reply. I have contacted my local reseller for customersupport, they have been unable to get back to me with a solution. I am currently using ArtCAM Premium 2017 Service Pack 3 (build 238). The output format that has gotten closest to geting any results has been "Roland MDX 540 Rotary2axis_toolchanger X-A (*.iso). The controller sofware is the default one coming with Roland MDX540 called "VPanel for MODELA PRO II". I will try to get the screencast later today or tomorrow. But the steps I made were basically 1) make rotary model, wrap around x-axis 2) import vectors 3) create toolpath (found in the attachment file) 4) save the toolpath to g-code format. 

Message 4 of 6
Chetan.Bankar
in reply to: mihkel2UJZE

Hi @mihkel2UJZE,

@mihkel2UJZE wrote:

Thank you for reply. I have contacted my local reseller for customersupport, they have been unable to get back to me with a solution. I am currently using ArtCAM Premium 2017 Service Pack 3 (build 238). The output format that has gotten closest to geting any results has been "Roland MDX 540 Rotary2axis_toolchanger X-A (*.iso). The controller sofware is the default one coming with Roland MDX540 called "VPanel for MODELA PRO II". I will try to get the screencast later today or tomorrow. But the steps I made were basically 1) make rotary model, wrap around x-axis 2) import vectors 3) create toolpath (found in the attachment file) 4) save the toolpath to g-code format. 

Thanks for supplying your ArtCAM Model file (A Le Qoc ripats2.art). We were waiting for you to share a screencast showing the problem, which you said that you would do.

Nevertheless, I've taken a look at your supplied ArtCAM Model file (A Le Qoc ripats2.art).and here are few suggestions for you to test:

1. As you have a Roland MDX-540 CNC machine, I recommend that you select the Roland MDX 540 Rotary2axis_toolchanger X-A (*.iso) post-processor option when saving your toolpaths.
  2. Looking at your ArtCAM Model file (A Le Qoc ripats2.art), I notice that some of the vector artwork used in the toolpath calculation lies outside of the model area.

I conducted the following tests:

• Calculate the toolpath using the vectors in their current location.
  • Calculate the toolpath using the vectors repositioned on the other side of the model.

When reviewing the output for both of the toolpaths, I noticed that the A-Angle is missing in the toolpath generated for the vectors which are lying outside the model area; this is shown screencast below:

This could be the underlying reason for your reported issue. Therefore, I suggest that you ensure your vector artwork remains inside of the model area within your ArtCAM Model file, calculate the toolpath, and then save it using the Roland MDX 540 Rotary2axis_toolchanger X-A (*.iso) post-processor option. Please confirm whether these steps resolve your reported issue.

Thanks and Regards,

Chetan Bankar
Global Product Support
Submitting & Viewing Support Requests | Web Support | Phone Support
Message 5 of 6
mihkel2UJZE
in reply to: Chetan.Bankar

Thank you so much! I will test this out as soon as the machine is done with other projects. I will deffinitelly get back to you on this.

Best regards

Message 6 of 6
Chetan.Bankar
in reply to: mihkel2UJZE

Hi @mihkel2UJZE,

@mihkel2UJZE wrote:

Thank you so much! I will test this out as soon as the machine is done with other projects. I will definitely get back to you on this.

Please update us on whether you have completed testing using the provided suggestion, and whether it has worked.

Thanks and Regards, 

Chetan Bankar
Global Product Support
Submitting & Viewing Support Requests | Web Support | Phone Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report