Community
ArtCAM Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ArtCAM Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ArtCAM topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF export/import not working

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Gary.B
2375 Views, 15 Replies

PDF export/import not working

2017 Premium SP6

If you select vectors and export as pdf, it will open in adobe acrobat/reader, it will not open in illustrator or photoshop.

if you import it back into ArtCam you get the boarder and bottom text from the pdf screen no vectors or image

gary

no pdf.jpg

Carveco Distributor USA; Legacy ArtCAM Training & Support
Beckwith Decor Products
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Gary.B
in reply to: Gary.B

I just got another pdf file this afternoon. If I go to import I can see the file in the import preview but ArtCam will not open it.

If I do a file > open, I can see it in the preview and once again ArtCam will not open it nor will exchange

but it sure works in Adobe acrobat and Reader

Gary

pdf exchange.jpg

Beckwith Decor Products
Message 3 of 16
prashant.gurav

Hi @Gary.B,

@Gary.B wrote:

2017 Premium SP6

If you select vectors and export as pdf, it will open in adobe acrobat/reader, it will not open in illustrator or photoshop.

if you import it back into ArtCam you get the boarder and bottom text from the pdf screen no vectors or image

@Gary.B wrote:

I just got another pdf file this afternoon. If I go to import I can see the file in the import preview but ArtCam will not open it.

If I do a file > open, I can see it in the preview and once again ArtCam will not open it nor will exchange

but it sure works in Adobe acrobat and Reader

Thanks for reporting this issue in Autodesk ArtCAM Premium 2017 Service Pack 6 (build 273).

I recall that you previously reported the same issue on the old ArtCAM Forum. There is a existing change request associated with this issue. I have updated this task with your comments, and I'll be sure to keep you updated on the Development team's response.

Thanks in advance for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Prashant.G
Message 4 of 16
Gary.B
in reply to: prashant.gurav

yeah well, you would think after 6 services packs this would have been fixed.

pretty bad when an export out of your own program won't import back in, huh

Gary

Beckwith Decor Products
Message 5 of 16
prashant.gurav

Hi @Gary.B,

@Gary.B wrote:

yeah well, you would think after 6 services packs this would have been fixed.

pretty bad when an export out of your own program won't import back in, huh

I can understand your situation. As a support team member, I do not have any control over the Development team's priorities. 

I've updated the Development task with your comments, and have requested an update on your behalf. I'll be sure to let you know when I receive a response from the Development team.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

Kind regards,

Prashant.G
Message 6 of 16
dillon.moulder

Hi @Gary.B,

@Gary.B wrote:

Autodesk ArtCAM does not utilize Autodesk Manufacturing Data Exchange Utility when handling the importing and exporting of PDF files; a library is used for the PDF file handling process.

Kind regards,

Message 7 of 16
Gary.B
in reply to: dillon.moulder

@dillon.moulder wrote:

Autodesk ArtCAM does not utilize Autodesk Manufacturing Data Exchange Utility when handling the importing and exporting of PDF files; a library is used for the PDF file handling process.

Yes Dillon, but as Artcam wouldn't open the pdf exported out of ArtCam I was trying the import option with exchange....which I noted would not open it either.

Garypdf2.jpg

Beckwith Decor Products
Message 8 of 16
paul.hadley

Hi @Gary.B,

Exactly how are you exporting the vectors?

3D PDF is for visualization only in Adobe Reader. There is an embedded U3D stream allowing you to rotate and zoom a 3D image, and nothing can import that, except perhaps for Adobe Illustrator.

One potential workaround is to change the PDF document's file extension from PDF to AI, and then import the vectors. Autodesk ArtCAM licences a reliable third party AI/EPS reader, and modern AI files contain a PDF stream. The AI or EPS file extension stops Autodesk Manufacturing Data Exchange Utility from being used and ArtCAM then switches to using the third party AI/EPS reader. If vectors are found within the file, they are imported.

If you create a model from a PDF document, it scans for pages/images and creates a bitmap layer for each page. Vectors are also read, but by another licensed third party product. However, the third party reader we utilize is by far the best for vectors, assuming the PDF does contain actual vectors, and not an image of vectors.

Best regards,

Paul Hadley
Message 9 of 16
Gary.B
in reply to: paul.hadley

Hi Paul

it was a file sent to me from one of my customers. When I couldn't open it i asked him what it came out of.

his response was Artcam 2017 SP6. Said he needed to send a pdf format to another firm. In an email response I just received of how he created it.

He works in the 2d view only, his position is creating vectors only whereby he selected the vectors > exported and selected PDF in the file type drop down

so that explains it

Gary

Beckwith Decor Products
Message 10 of 16
paul.hadley

Hi @Gary.B,

@Gary.B wrote:

it was a file sent to me from one of my customers. When I couldn't open it i asked him what it came out of.

his response was Artcam 2017 SP6. Said he needed to send a pdf format to another firm. In an email response I just received of how he created it.

He works in the 2d view only, his position is creating vectors only whereby he selected the vectors > exported and selected PDF in the file type drop down

so that explains it

Ahh, that explains the problem! Exporting vectors as PDF creates a 3D PDF. I did the same for a simple rectangle (see below). The PDF contains a U3D stream which is a geometric model for the Adobe Reader to render in 3D.

VectorsSavedAsPDF.JPG

Would it avoid further confusion if we changed the vector export option from PDF (*.pdf) to 3D PDF (*.pdf)? If you think it would, I'll discuss this as a change request with the Development team. The important thing here is that PDF is not really an export format; it's strictly for viewing in Adobe Reader.

A better choice of format for exporting vectors would have been EPS or DXF.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Hadley
Message 11 of 16
Gary.B

@paul.hadley wrote:

Hi @Gary.B,

Would it avoid further confusion if we changed the vector export option from PDF (*.pdf) to 3D PDF (*.pdf)? If you think it would, I'll discuss this as a change request with the Development team. The important thing here is that PDF is not really an export format; it's strictly for viewing in Adobe Reader.

A better choice of format for exporting vectors would have been EPS or DXF.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul, that maybe helpful to change the export option to 3D pdf.

Turns out he did not want to send the vectors only and image in pdf format

I've attached his pdf for you

Gary

Beckwith Decor Products
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

No These PDF files are way better than any segmented DXF files.  Also the EPS files have not kept up with Corel Draw and do not transfer well.  The vector files from EPS often are open now.

When I had talked about this to the old Delcam guard they said that Delcam did not keep up with the format.  I then started using PDF vector files with much better results especially when working with vectors for a cutting laser.  The DXF files seem to be loaded with nodes that the PDF vectors do not have.

Most know the least amount of nodes that keep shape the better.

PDF files should be Vector files not 3d files.  Two different animals... two different uses.

Just sayin'

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I feel your frustration Gary B and all you old time artcam users.  Not being able to access files that are over 10 years old for the artwork is a royal PITA!  If your not going to support the work and art people have done over a life time why buy the product?  To bury it?  

Just sayin'

Message 14 of 16
dillon.moulder

Hi @Anonymous,

Welcome to the Autodesk Community and the ArtCAM Forum! Many thanks for joining us from the original ArtCAM Forum community.

@Anonymous wrote:

Not being able to access files that are over 10 years old for the artwork is a royal PITA!  If your not going to support the work and art people have done over a life time why buy the product?

There isn't a widespread issue with importing vector artwork in PDF format, or vector artwork in any other supported file format such as AI, EPS and DXF. All of these file formats are supported, and the Development team work constantly to maintain this.

To avoid any confusion, this particular issue is with selecting the Save as type list's PDF (*.pdf) option in the Vector Export dialog within Autodesk ArtCAM, and then trying to import the resulting PDF file back into Autodesk ArtCAM.

Thanks for your time and understanding.

Kind regards,

Message 15 of 16
paul.hadley

Hi @Anonymous,

@Anonymous wrote:

No These PDF files are way better than any segmented DXF files.  Also the EPS files have not kept up with Corel Draw and do not transfer well.  The vector files from EPS often are open now.

When I had talked about this to the old Delcam guard they said that Delcam did not keep up with the format.  I then started using PDF vector files with much better results especially when working with vectors for a cutting laser.  The DXF files seem to be loaded with nodes that the PDF vectors do not have.

Most know the least amount of nodes that keep shape the better.

PDF files should be Vector files not 3d files.  Two different animals... two different uses.

Just sayin'

Please attach an EPS file that is open. If the vectors are closed, the EPS should be closed. We don't smash EPS beziers, so the node count is minimal. We do keep EPS import and export up-to-date.

Agreed about the node count in DXF. The problem is beziers having to be smashed for various reasons, such as compatibility.

BTW: Please create a new topic if you think there's a bug with EPS import or export, as it is not related to the discussion regarding PDF files in this topic.

Regards,

Paul Hadley
Message 16 of 16
Anonymous

I am off that project and have switched how I do things because of that.  I will try to recreate the problem and get it back to you when I get a break in my work flow.

Best I can do right now.

Thanks in advance for the response 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report