Community
ArtCAM Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ArtCAM Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ArtCAM topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi sided relief

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
thomas48XKM
1118 Views, 12 Replies

Multi sided relief

Hi.

There are some nice three sided pieces from Camcraft 3D on the Autodesk Artcam intro page, and I have been trying to do something similar.

I would like to cut a relief on four sides, using the same imported obj 3D model. Manually turning it 90 degrees between each cut, via a homemade fixture.

So after doing a bit of research, I found this video on your YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWtmS75P6dE

However, I can’t seem to keep my 3D model in the project.

Once I close the import window I am left only with the projection to whatever front/back relief I pasted the model on to.

Now I am wondering what I am doing wrong?

I would even go for a cylindrical unwrap of the model if possible. Using a third-axis rotary attachment on either X or Y, keeping it 3 axis - in style with your rotary model.

However, trying this my 3D model gets projected to the surface of the (tube) relief. I want it as the “center piece” if that makes sense?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Hi @thomas48XKM,

Welcome to the Autodesk Community and the ArtCAM Forum!

thomas48XKM wrote:

There are some nice three sided pieces from Camcraft 3D on the Autodesk Artcam intro page, and I have been trying to do something similar.

I would like to cut a relief on four sides, using the same imported obj 3D model. Manually turning it 90 degrees between each cut, via a homemade fixture.

So after doing a bit of research, I found this video on your YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWtmS75P6dE

However, I can’t seem to keep my 3D model in the project.

Once I close the import window I am left only with the projection to whatever front/back relief I pasted the model on to.

Now I am wondering what I am doing wrong?

I would even go for a cylindrical unwrap of the model if possible. Using a third-axis rotary attachment on either X or Y, keeping it 3 axis - in style with your rotary model.

However, trying this my 3D model gets projected to the surface of the (tube) relief. I want it as the “center piece” if that makes sense?

Please confirm what version and build of Autodesk ArtCAM you're working in. To do so, select the Help > About Autodesk ArtCAM menu option in your ArtCAM software. For example, Autodesk ArtCAM Standard 2017 Service Pack 3 (build 238). Without this information, we do not know what tools and settings are available to you.

The YouTube video (Front and Back Modelling) in your post demonstrates working in ArtCAM JewelSmith; this product is not part of the Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 range. Autodesk ArtCAM Premium includes the functionality available in ArtCAM JewelSmith, while Autodesk ArtCAM Standard does not.

Please use Autodesk Screencast to create and share a screencast demonstrating the steps you are using in ArtCAM for the project you're working on.

Thanks in advance for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Message 3 of 13
jennifer.dunn
in reply to: thomas48XKM

Hi @thomas48XKM,

I'm guessing you are working with regular ArtCAM Model files (*.art). When you import a 3D model/mesh into a regular model, once you click Paste, it loads it to the front and back relief and closes the import function. At this point, you have 1 or 2 sided relief to work with.

If you want to work with more access to the 3D mesh model, you need to work with ArtCAM Project files (*.3dp). Projects are available in Autodesk ArtCAM Premium, and allow you to work in a full 3D world. You import the 3D model and manipulate it. Once rotated into position, you can paste it into a flat or rotary relief model. You can then calculate toolpaths on the relief.

Your 3D assembly mesh can then be rotated 90 degrees and the process repeated.

This type of machining is index machining, which consists of 3 axis toolpath cut at varying angles around the part. If you have a rotary machine, you would set the A-axis angle in parameters to 90 degrees and then rotate your stock material prior to machining the 3-axis toolpath. If you have standard 3-axis cnc, you would physically rotate your material 90 degree and place it back into your jig or fixture before machining.

Hope this helps,

Jennifer Dunn
Message 4 of 13
thomas48XKM
in reply to: jennifer.dunn

@dillon.moulderI am running 2017 sdt. Build 238.

I can’t really show you what I am doing, due to an NDA I have with my soon to be publisher. However, I can tell you that I am an independent game developer, and that I was hoping to use artcam to make one or two physical models as a proof of concept, for my upcoming game. Rather than doing 3D printing, I was opting for a milled version, hoping that this would give me sharper edges and a nicer surface finish.
But I need to mill on at least four sides, to make it look decent enough. Full four axis or even true five axis milling would be better, but my hobby mill only have 3 axis. Plus my manual jig for rotating around the X or Y axis.

@jennifer.dunnExactly what I wanted to do.
I recon I could fiddle around with manually rotating and positioning the model before pasting, but artcam repositions my 3D model away from its original point of origin. Therefore, it is virtually impossible to get precise positioning after that.

Now, if I understand this correctly, there is no way to do what i want in the std. version?

Kind regards

Thomas

Message 5 of 13
gemtiques2008
in reply to: thomas48XKM

You might want to talk to Danny Barnes  AKA @tajs on this forum. He make some multi sided beads that are like what you want to do

Ford

Message 6 of 13

Hi @thomas48XKM,

thomas48XKM wrote:

Exactly what I wanted to do.
I recon I could fiddle around with manually rotating and positioning the model before pasting, but artcam repositions my 3D model away from its original point of origin. Therefore, it is virtually impossible to get precise positioning after that.

Now, if I understand this correctly, there is no way to do what i want in the std. version?

I would like to advise you that if you import the 3D model using the Relief > Import 3D Model menu option, set the imported model using the Paste 3D Model dialog, and then click the dialog's Apply button, the model should be positioned in the view according to your specified co-ordinates.

If you then click the Paste 3D Model dialog's Paste button, a relief should be created in the specified position.

Please refer to the demonstration video below which shows this process:

Having said this, I would also like to bring to your attention that Autodesk ArtCAM Premium 2017 allows you to work with projects and includes the capability to do multi-sided machining using the 3D Machining Wizard.

You can find a feature comparison for the Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 product range here.

Hope this helps. 

Prashant.G
Message 7 of 13
dabaron2
in reply to: prashant.gurav

test

Message 8 of 13
Gary.B
in reply to: dabaron2

test 2 of upload

edited: test complete ....file deleted

Carveco Distributor USA; Legacy ArtCAM Training & Support
Beckwith Decor Products
Message 9 of 13
dillon.moulder
in reply to: Gary.B

Hi @Gary.B,

I see an AI attachment! Smiley Wink

I'm not sure why you're posting in this topic though, when the discussion regarding AI attachments is taking place here.

Nonetheless, thanks for sharing the 6ltr_petrusAI.ai file I needed from @dabaron2.

Kind regards, 

Message 10 of 13
Gary.B
in reply to: dillon.moulder

I was responding to Danny test file helping him with ai files

just picked a topic to test uploading

turns out if you save an ai file in a legacy version 3 or 8 from CS6, then it does not open in Artcam 2017 at the correct size. that attached file we have been working on comes out of CS6 and saved as a legacy version 8

you  can delete this post

thanks

Gary

Beckwith Decor Products
Message 11 of 13
dillon.moulder

Hi @Gary.B,

@Gary.B wrote:

I was responding to Danny test file helping him with ai files

just picked a topic to test uploading

turns out if you save an ai file in a legacy version 3 or 8 from CS6, then it does not open in Artcam 2017 at the correct size. that attached file we have been working on comes out of CS6 and saved as a legacy version 8

you  can delete this post

So, was the file attached to your post @dabaron2's 6ltr_petrusAI.ai file or not? Please confirm, because, if it was, I'd not had the opportunity to download the file. I've finished work for the day, and I'm browsing on my mobile phone.

The Development team are currently investigating the issue with AI files not being imported into Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 at the correct size.

I cannot delete posts, as I'm not a moderator.

Thanks again for your time and assistance.

Kind regards,

Message 12 of 13
Gary.B
in reply to: dillon.moulder

yes it was a attached I removed it when I tried to delete my post

I will re-attach over in the correct posting here shortly

Gary

Beckwith Decor Products
Message 13 of 13
dillon.moulder

Hi @Gary.B,

@Gary.B wrote:

yes it was a attached I removed it when I tried to delete my post

I will re-attach over in the correct posting here shortly

You can send the file to me by email if you prefer.

Thanks again for assisting here.

Kind regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report