Community
ArtCAM Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ArtCAM Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ArtCAM topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Machining STL Triangle meshes

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
751 Views, 3 Replies

Machining STL Triangle meshes

I am looking for a program to use for machining complex triangle meshes with my CNC router. I'm currently looking at ArtCAM Standard. I have Fusion, but it seems as though fusion doesn't like Highly detailed STL files. Will ArtCAM struggle with generating toolpaths on a file like this?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dillon.moulder
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

Welcome to the Autodesk Community and the ArtCAM Forum!

@Anonymous wrote:

I am looking for a program to use for machining complex triangle meshes with my CNC router. I'm currently looking at ArtCAM Standard. I have Fusion, but it seems as though fusion doesn't like Highly detailed STL files. Will ArtCAM struggle with generating toolpaths on a file like this?

You can compare the different products in the Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 range here

You can import a triangle model (including STL files) into Autodesk ArtCAM Standard 2017 using the Relief > Import > Import 3D Model menu option, paste it into the model, and then create a Machine Relief toolpath to machine the relief. The model resolution in Autodesk ArtCAM Standard 2017 is restricted to 2000 x 2000 pixels, so this should be considered if you intend to work with high-detail triangle models.

You can download a 30-day trial version of Autodesk ArtCAM Standard 2017 from the ArtCAM website. This is available for Windows 64-bit only, and the system requirements can be found here.

When installing, please right-click the downloaded Autodesk_ArtCAM_Standard_2017_R1_Multilingual_Win_64bit_Setup.exe file, then select the Run as administrator context menu option. The downloaded Autodesk_ArtCAM_Standard_2017_R1_Multilingual_Win_64bit_Setup.exe file is 749 MB (785,506,304 bytes) in size on disk.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Thanks in advance for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: dillon.moulder

il_570xN.1110345948_1wf0.jpg

I want to machine this outrageously detailed model that I spontaneously purchased off a guy who said it can be cut in ArtCAM or Aspire. I've only worked with vectors and parametric modelling in the past, and have never had to consider pixels. At 2000 x 2000 pixels, if I make this model 20 inches tall, will my accuracy be within +/- 0.010" on the surface? I can work with that. Unfortunately, I can't download the ArtCAM trial until I pick up a new PC.

Message 4 of 4
dillon.moulder
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

browellr wrote:

I want to machine this outrageously detailed model that I spontaneously purchased off a guy who said it can be cut in ArtCAM or Aspire. I've only worked with vectors and parametric modelling in the past, and have never had to consider pixels. At 2000 x 2000 pixels, if I make this model 20 inches tall, will my accuracy be within +/- 0.010" on the surface? I can work with that. Unfortunately, I can't download the ArtCAM trial until I pick up a new PC.

Looking at your supplied image, I'd suggest that Autodesk ArtCAM Premium 2017 would be better suited for your job as you would have a greater range of toolpaths and machining strategies available to you. That said, I do recommend that you download the trial version of Autodesk ArtCAM Standard 2017, import the STL file into a model with the maximum resolution, and then create your Machine Relief toolpath using a high Tolerance. If and when you attempt this job, the Autodesk Community will be available to assist you further.

In the meantime, if you send the STL file in question to artcam-online-support@autodesk.com, we can investigate further on your behalf.

Thanks in advance for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards, 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report