Community
ArtCAM Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ArtCAM Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ArtCAM topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layering Text

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
lumert83
1115 Views, 13 Replies

Layering Text

I'm brand new to CAD and am trying to create a sign with layered text. I'd like to have a last name in the background and a couple's first names in the foreground. I'm able to position the lettering how I want it, but the top layer is just in line with the back layer and the front text isn't "covering over" the vectors in the back. 

I'm using the most recent version of ArtCam and have attached the project to this post.

I've done a search in the forums and nothing comes up for layering text- am I using the right vocabulary here?

Any help would be appreciated- thanks so much!

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
mikeis
in reply to: lumert83

What is you desire here, and how do you intend to do such? With your lettering do you wish to hide some? Would it not be better to bring it all out so it all is seen?

When you are doing something like this, you would want to have everything viewed right? I redid your file fixed some of the lettering, moved some of it around so it will show everything.

mike

Message 3 of 14
lumert83
in reply to: mikeis

Thanks for your help Mikeis, but artistically I really like the layered effect. Do you have any ideas about layering? I'm thinking I might have to extrude to different depths, but I'm just not sure.

Message 4 of 14
prashant.gurav

Hi @lumert83,

Welcome me to the Autodesk Community and the ArtCAM Forum!

@lumert83 wrote:

I'm brand new to CAD and am trying to create a sign with layered text. I'd like to have a last name in the background and a couple's first names in the foreground. I'm able to position the lettering how I want it, but the top layer is just in line with the back layer and the front text isn't "covering over" the vectors in the back. 

I'm using the most recent version of ArtCam and have attached the project to this post.

@lumert83 wrote:

artistically I really like the layered effect. Do you have any ideas about layering? I'm thinking I might have to extrude to different depths, but I'm just not sure.

Many thanks for attaching your Cook.art file.

You can create the text (last name & couple's first names) on separate relief layers in Autodesk ArtCAM Standard 2017, as demonstrated in the screencast below, in order to create the text in the background and foreground respectively:

You can also use the Merge High option, available to select from the relief layer's context menu, and create all of the text in only one single relief layer if you do not want to use separate relief layers.

I have attached a modified version of your Cook_mod.art file for your reference.

If you are not working in Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 Service Pack 4 (build 268), I would like to inform you that the fourth service pack for the Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 product range (Free, Standard & Premium) is now available to download through the Autodesk Desktop App, as announced here by @dillon.moulderYou can also download the fourth service pack for the Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 product range from the Product Updates area of your Autodesk Account.

If the provided information is helpful to you, please be kind enough to click the Accept As Solution button. Alternatively, Reply back to me and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Prashant.G
Message 5 of 14
mikeis

maybe, you could use some of the layers and change things to your liking.

mike

Message 6 of 14
mikeis
in reply to: mikeis

Oh and by the way I usually use the highest pixel count, in a 10by10 area I go with 4000x4000 this way my jagged edges are not so noticeable. that would be the resolution. I really don't like dealing with low resolution, it's fast and easy to fix and to mess up, sculpting takes less time but then again if you screw it up you do it big time.

mike
Message 7 of 14
lumert83
in reply to: prashant.gurav

Thank you so very much for your help. I've had to play your video multiple times to really understand what is going on- I'm that much of a newbie :). Do you have any recommendations for an absolute beginner to CAD? I've tried multiple beginner tutorial series (including the one offered by ArtCam), but they all presume a basic knowledge and understanding of the vocabulary used in the program. I don't have that and I'm not sure how to acquire it. I need a rock bottom tutorial that takes me through each and every button in Artcam- any ideas?

Message 8 of 14
mikeis

Ummm,

Artcam is by the most simple cad program that you could ever get, it may be simple but you can do much with it once you start to use it.

I myself like to get photos off the net and draw lines (we call these vectors) then using those lines bringing up the shape be it rounded or slanted or some other shape, there is really no other program that can compete with it though many like to puff out their chest and thump it this program is far better than many others that cost more and every one that doesn't cost as much.

there are many things that could help you but do your self a pleasure and get a photo of say some butterfly, or a cow, a dog, or a lovely lady (like your wife) draw those lines that are her face (her nose, eyes, hair, eye brows) and while you are drawing enjoy her beauty. now this is just for practice.

when you start drawing those lines start with a start and end point, highlight it hit the "N" on your keyboard then point to the highlighted line then hit the "B" letter this will give you a Bezier curve, this is a line you can adjust with 2 points.

Practice drawing first and enjoy it.

then you can get into the other parts of this program.

like using the shape editor, 2 rail sweep, sculpting, may more to really have fun making things on your computer.

mike 

ps.. here are some practice 2 rail sweeps I put together a few years ago.

Message 9 of 14
prashant.gurav

Hi @lumert83,

@lumert83 wrote:

Thank you so very much for your help. I've had to play your video multiple times to really understand what is going on- I'm that much of a newbie :). Do you have any recommendations for an absolute beginner to CAD? I've tried multiple beginner tutorial series (including the one offered by ArtCam), but they all presume a basic knowledge and understanding of the vocabulary used in the program. I don't have that and I'm not sure how to acquire it. I need a rock bottom tutorial that takes me through each and every button in Artcam- any ideas?

Are you aware of Help option in Autodesk ArtCAM Standard 2017's Welcome page which is displayed when you start the software? If not, this includes links to all of the areas from where you can access help on using ArtCAM software. Please refer to the screencast below:

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Prashant.G
Message 10 of 14
lumert83
in reply to: prashant.gurav

Prashant- I had thought that your solution was perfect, but after a few weeks of working with it- I finally realize that the words are layered weirdly. If you look really closely, the areas where the words cross are double layered. I tried to merge high to fix this, but it didn't work either. For example, where the "p" in Stephen crosses the back layer "O", part of the p is extra raised where the letters come into contact. The photo below is what I would like my end product to look like. Any ideas? 

Personalized Wedding Gift Family Name Signs CARVED Custom Wooden Sign Last name Established Anniversary custom personalized sign

Message 11 of 14
Gary.B

@lumert83 wrote:

I finally realize that the words are layered weirdly. If you look really closely, the areas where the words cross are double layered. I tried to merge high to fix this, but it didn't work either.

The reason the merge high did not work correctly is due to when selecting a combine mode in the shape editor it does not automatically change the combine mode of the relief layer you are on.

Depending on the stack order of the layers you will need to change the combine mode of the layer

I did a quick screen capture of your cook file to demo

Gary

Carveco Distributor USA; Legacy ArtCAM Training & Support
Beckwith Decor Products
Message 12 of 14
lumert83
in reply to: Gary.B

That worked perfectly Gary! Thank you so much. My last step was to run the toolpath, but I get several errors- 1)contains both open and closed vectors and that no attempt will be made to determine vector orientations. 2) 2 or more vectors overlap 

I can't create a toolpath. I was using a 1/16 end mill in the simulation.

Message 13 of 14
Gary.B

If you post your art file that includes the attempted toolpaths, then one of us will be able to advise you where your issues lie

Gary

Carveco Distributor USA; Legacy ArtCAM Training & Support
Beckwith Decor Products
Message 14 of 14
lumert83
in reply to: Gary.B

I did finally figure the toolpath out. I didn't realize that because this is relief, I had to go under Toolpath> New 3D Toolpath> Machine Relief. It worked! Thank you so much for all the help on this forum- you guys are so knowledgeable and helpful! What a wonderful community.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report