Community
ArtCAM Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ArtCAM Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ArtCAM topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block & Rotate Copy

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Gary.B
609 Views, 13 Replies

Block & Rotate Copy

2017.199 premium

Under the Block & Rotate Copy

Really disappointed that the directions arrows were removed from 2017. guess we have to just use neg number now, the arrows were so much more convenient

Please re-instate the direction arrows

Gary

Carveco Distributor USA; Legacy ArtCAM Training & Support
Beckwith Decor Products
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
dillon.moulder
in reply to: Gary.B

Hi @Gary.B,

@Gary.B wrote:

2017.199 premium

Really disappointed that the directions were removed from 2017. When you work from center of model you now have to jump thru more hoops to get the simple things done.

Please re-instate the direction options

The Directions options have not been removed from the Block and Rotate Copy panel in Autodesk ArtCAM Premium 2017, as shown below:

BlockRotateCopy-Directions-2017.png

Please provide us with a screenshot showing the Block and Rotate Copy panel's settings available to you. Thanks in advance for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Message 3 of 14
Gary.B
in reply to: dillon.moulder

Guess I got short changed again, huh

Gary

block copy.jpg

Beckwith Decor Products
Message 4 of 14
dillon.moulder

Hi @Gary.B,

@Gary.B wrote:

Guess I got short changed again, huh

Many thanks for sharing your screenshot. Please try the following steps:

1. Shut down Autodesk ArtCAM Premium 2017 Service Pack 2 (build 199).
  2. In Internet Explorer, select Tools > Internet options to display the Internet Options dialog.
  3. In the Internet Options dialog, click the Advanced tab, followed by the Reset button.
  4. Restart Autodesk ArtCAM Premium 2017 Service Pack 2 (build 199).

Please let me know if this resolves your issue with the Directions options not being displayed on the Block and Rotate Copy panel. Thanks in advance for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Message 5 of 14
Gary.B

No Dillon, that does not fix the issue, direction arrow section still missing

Gary

Beckwith Decor Products
Message 6 of 14
Gary.B

just did a second reset to IE and reboot again but no change

the direction arrows still remain MIA

Gary

Beckwith Decor Products
Message 7 of 14
dillon.moulder

Hi @Gary.B,

@Gary.B wrote:

that does not fix the issue, direction arrow section still missing

@Gary.B wrote:

just did a second reset to IE and reboot again but no change

the direction arrows still remain MIA

Many thanks for confirming that. I'll need to do some further investigative work regarding this issue. I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance for your patience and understanding.

Kind regards,

Message 8 of 14

Hi @Gary.B

@Gary.B wrote:

2017.199 premium

Really disappointed that the directions arrows were removed from 2017. guess we have to just use neg number now, the arrows were so much more convenient

Please re-instate the direction arrows

If you select the Block Copy and Rotate panel's Distances are gaps option, the Directions options are displayed. If you select the Block Copy and Rotate panel's Distances are offsets option, the Directions options are hidden:

BlockRotateCopy-DistancesOffsets.png  BlockRotateCopy-DistancesGaps.png

These results are consistent between Autodesk ArtCAM Premium 2017 and ArtCAM Pro 2015 R2.

Your screenshot shows that you have the Block Copy and Rotate panel's Distances are offsets option selected, so this explains why the Directions options are hidden. If you select the Distances are gaps option, the Directions options should be displayed as expected.

If you have any further questions regarding the availability of the Block Copy and Rotate panel's Directions options in Autodesk ArtCAM Premium 2017, please do not hesitate to ask. Otherwise, please be so kind as to accept my response as a solution. Thanks in advance for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Message 9 of 14
Gary.B

Well there's a Duh moment !!

yes I just  looked at R2 and its the same ! just never noticed it before.

OK so what's the significant difference between "Offset" and "Gap" that one gets the direction arrows and the other doesn't? we still copy both directions. (would like to copy on a given angle as well for that matter)

So with offset we have to use a negative number (to go left from the center in X) and with gaps we use a positive number and click the direction

wouldn't it be more consistent to have the direction arrows in both?

Gary

Beckwith Decor Products
Message 10 of 14
jennifer.dunn

Hi Gary,

Hope all is well!

Distances Are Offsets is the original Block Copy Rotate from ArtCAM.

A few years ago we added in the Distances Are Gaps option. Along with this option came the directional arrows. To be honest, I'm not sure why the arrows are only available for Gaps and not Offsets, but I've personally never had an problem because I most often use the Gaps option. We can place a wish for them to be available with the Offset option too.

Distances Are Offsets is a center to center offset.

Where as Distances Are Gaps is the spacing edge to edge (the gap between the parts).

Hope this helps,

Jen

Jennifer Dunn
Message 11 of 14
Gary.B
in reply to: jennifer.dunn

Hi Jen

Doing well, hope everything is good on your end too.

Actually after my Duh moment this became more of a consistency issue within the program.

whether its an offset distance or gap distance your still creating  copies in one direction or another. Therefore, for consistency the direction arrows should be in both.

Having to use negative numbers for one and positive numbers with arrow direction for the other becomes confusing

I mostly use gap distance myself but today I needed to use offset and it threw me for a loop on direction, which is what started all this !! 

Gary

Beckwith Decor Products
Message 12 of 14
jennifer.dunn

Hi Gary,

All good here Smiley Happy

I've placed a wish for both options to use the directional arrows.

Thanks, Jen

Jennifer Dunn
Message 13 of 14
Gary.B
in reply to: jennifer.dunn

thanks Jen

much appreciated

Gary

Beckwith Decor Products
Message 14 of 14
jennifer.dunn

Hi @Gary.B,

I checked on the task I created for your change request regarding the Block and Rotate Copy tool's Directions buttons, and the Development team have implemented it; both Distances are gaps and Distances are offsets now have associated Directions buttons.

I've tested in Autodesk ArtCAM Premium 2017 Service Pack 5 (build 270), and it's working fine.

Kind regards,

Jennifer Dunn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report