Community
ArtCAM Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ArtCAM Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ArtCAM topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

artcam for education

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
billy.mobley
3026 Views, 17 Replies

artcam for education

I have used artcam in my classroom for 3 years. This year my computers were replaced and I no longer have the software. Since Autodesk had purchased artcam I can't seem to find the student free version. We don't have funds to purchase the pro version for my students. What are my options?
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Hi @billy.mobley,

Welcome to the Autodesk Community and the ArtCAM Forum!

@billy.mobley wrote:
I have used artcam in my classroom for 3 years. This year my computers were replaced and I no longer have the software. Since Autodesk had purchased artcam I can't seem to find the student free version. We don't have funds to purchase the pro version for my students. What are my options?

What exactly is preventing you from re-installing your ArtCAM software on your new computers? Was a USB security-protection dongle supplied with your ArtCAM software? Please provide further information.

At this moment in time, there are no Student/Educator licensing options associated with the ArtCAM 2017 product range. If and when this situation changes, I'll be sure to let you know.

In the meantime, the free version of ArtCAM 2017 is available to download from the ArtCAM website.

Thanks in advance for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Message 3 of 18
meisbren
in reply to: dillon.moulder

I would also be interested in knowing when a full educational version of ArtCam is released. Autodesk picking up ArtCam looks like a great solution to many of our CNC problems at my college.

Message 4 of 18
koconnor
in reply to: meisbren

+1  We have used the product for many years... when owned by Delcam.   We would love for it to be offered in the premium or standard forms as part of the free educational software program for use at our school.

The reseller we utilized previously, and that serviced many schools in our region of the country, are no longer resellers for Autodesk.   I am trying to establish a new relationship with a non-educational reseller to determine if there are any discounts that can be had for buying multiple seats or if they can in any other way offer a discounted education price.

Contacting the Autodesk Store directly does not yield any results.  They defer you to the Educational Community, the Educational Community defers you to a corporate reseller or back to the Autodesk store.

While we greatly appreciate getting many of the Autodesk Products for free via the Educational Community, it has caused all the educational resellers to dry up.  It is has created a void of support and customer service for education entities for these in-between products ... Autodesk is not servicing these groups of customers via the Autodesk Store nor via the Educational Community.  Resellers are perplexed by the request of educational pricing.

Thanks in advance for your consideration and any assistance that can be provided.

Kyle

Message 5 of 18
jumpinto

Can we use Artcam 2016 for education for free?

Message 6 of 18
dillon.moulder
in reply to: jumpinto

Hi @jumpinto,

@jumpinto wrote:

Can we use Artcam 2016 for education for free?

There is no ArtCAM 2016 product range; the latest is Autodesk ArtCAM 2017, and prior to that it was Delcam ArtCAM 2015 R2.

At this moment in time, there are no Student/Educator licensing options associated with the Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 product range. If and when this situation changes, I'll be sure to let you know.

If you're interested in using Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 within an educational institution, then I recommend that you contact Autodesk to discuss your requirements.

Kind regards,

Message 7 of 18
anpspb

Hi all!

I've installed today ArtCAM-2017 (free) on Lenovo Win-7 64b 4Gb RAM notebook.

Too bad, but from the every beginning errors I could see a lot of messages like "script error".

How to know the reason?

Thanks in advans! 

Message 8 of 18
dillon.moulder
in reply to: anpspb

HI @anpspb,

Welcome to the Autodesk Community and the ArtCAM Forum!

anpspb wrote:

I've installed today ArtCAM-2017 (free) on Lenovo Win-7 64b 4Gb RAM notebook.

Too bad, but from the every beginning errors I could see a lot of messages like "script error".

How to know the reason?

What build of the free version of Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 are you working in? To confirm this, select the Help > About Autodesk ArtCAM menu option in your ArtCAM software. For example, Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 Service Pack 5 (build 270).

You can find the system requirements for the Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 product range here. Please check your Lenovo notebook's specification against them.

When replying to this post, please attach screenshots of the messages you've encountered when working in the free version of Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 so that we can investigate further.

Kind regards,

Message 9 of 18
anpspb

Dear Dillon Moulder,

Thanks for your support.

In attached zip I sent build-screenshot and some other shots.
They show the reason: auto-installation process generated symbols "art:fs/" instead of real dir named "HTML", where subdir "js" exists.
Generated path is start\index.html is: <script src="art:fs/external/js/jquery.js"></script>
The real one is: c:\winpgm\ArtCAM 2017\HTML\external\js\
So one can see that it is an installation bug.
(Note, that ArtCAM was installed not into "Program Files" directory, but such path is not and should not be prohibited.)

So I decided that to fix the script errors I must search _all_ the wrong links to "art:fs/" and replace it to the right "HTML/". But I'd like to do it automatically, not manually. Or I need to put the relative links in html-files.
Could you tell me the most effective way to do this?

And one more question. Is it possible to change the black color of the working window to the one selected by the user? Because black color leads to sad thoughts and badly harmonizes with other used applications.

Thanks!

Alexander

Message 10 of 18
dillon.moulder

Hi @anpspb,

@anpspb wrote:
In attached zip I sent build-screenshot and some other shots.
They show the reason: auto-installation process generated symbols "art:fs/" instead of real dir named "HTML", where subdir "js" exists.
Generated path is start\index.html is: <script src="art:fs/external/js/jquery.js"></script>
The real one is: c:\winpgm\ArtCAM 2017\HTML\external\js\
So one can see that it is an installation bug.
(Note, that ArtCAM was installed not into "Program Files" directory, but such path is not and should not be prohibited.)

So I decided that to fix the script errors I must search _all_ the wrong links to "art:fs/" and replace it to the right "HTML/". But I'd like to do it automatically, not manually. Or I need to put the relative links in html-files.
Could you tell me the most effective way to do this?

Your build.jpg screenshot confirms that you are working in the free version of Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 Service Pack 2 (build 199), which is not the latest build available to you.

I asked you to supply screenshots of the script error messages you encountered when using the free version of Autodesk ArtCAM 2017, and your supplied artcam17jsdir.zip archive does not contain any of them.

It is possible to install the free version of Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 to a location on a computer other than the default of C:\Program Files\Autodesk\ArtCAM 2017. I strongly recommend against making any attempts at modifying ArtCAM source code, as it is not required or permitted. If you attempt to modify the source code, we cannot provide you with any support in doing so.

Please complete the following steps:

1. Complete a clean uninstall of the free version of Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 using the instructions given in this article in the Autodesk Knowledge Network.
  2. Ensure that your computer meets the system requirements for the Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 product range. 
  3. Reinstall the free version of Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 by right-clicking the downloaded Autodesk_ArtCAM_2017_R1_Multilingual_Win_64bit_Setup.exe file, then selecting the Run as administrator context menu option.
  4. Install the fifth service pack release for the Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 product range (build 270) through the Autodesk Desktop App.

If you encounter any similar script error messages after reinstalling the free version of Autodesk ArtCAM 2017, please provide screenshots of the script error messages and do not make any modifications to the software installation.

anpspb wrote: 

And one more question. Is it possible to change the black color of the working window to the one selected by the user? Because black color leads to sad thoughts and badly harmonizes with other used applications.

This subject has previously been discussed here, here and here. There is no option to change the interface's colour theme in the Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 product range. A change request to implement a choice of colour theme has already been brought to the Development team's attention. That said, you're welcome to Submit An Idea from the ArtCAM Ideas page.

Kind regards,

Message 11 of 18
anpspb

Dear Dillon Moulder,

Thanks for your advices!

I 've reinstalled ArtCAM-2017 and ArtCAM SP5 too as you wrote, but encountered the same errors.

>I asked you to supply screenshots of the script error messages you encountered when using the free version of Autodesk

ArtCAM 2017, and your supplied artcam17jsdir.zip archive does not contain any of them.

In the first file artcam17jsdir.zip  there were 2 screenshots of the script error messages (wrongdir.JPG and err05.JPG), but not to make it difficult for you to read error messages in the Russian language, I deleted the Russian-language characters in the left part of the screenshot. 

This time I sent you full shots of first 10 messages just after starting ArtCAM-2017 plus PC-info screen which certifies that the computer meets the requirements you mentioned.

As you can see there is the same error with wrong system variable "art:fs" which during the installation should be replaced with real directory name "c:\Program Files\Autodesk\ArtCAM 2017\HTML\" (this time I installed an application into Programs Files dir) .

The only difference between the first and this second start is that before only 8 error messages were issued, and now more than 10. So after the 10th error I answered "no" to interrupt messages output.

Yes, I haven't changed any code and hope that your programmers could understand the reason why generation of  correct directory name fails.

attached file: arch2.zip

Thank you in advance.

Alexander Poroshin,

programmer, system administrator, prof. in the field of software engineering

Message 12 of 18
dillon.moulder

Hi @anpspb,

@anpspb wrote:
I've reinstalled ArtCAM-2017 and ArtCAM SP5 too as you wrote, but encountered the same errors.

In the first file artcam17jsdir.zip  there were 2 screenshots of the script error messages (wrongdir.JPG and err05.JPG), but not to make it difficult for you to read error messages in the Russian language, I deleted the Russian-language characters in the left part of the screenshot. 

This time I sent you full shots of first 10 messages just after starting ArtCAM-2017 plus PC-info screen which certifies that the computer meets the requirements you mentioned.

As you can see there is the same error with wrong system variable "art:fs" which during the installation should be replaced with real directory name "c:\Program Files\Autodesk\ArtCAM 2017\HTML\" (this time I installed an application into Programs Files dir) .

The only difference between the first and this second start is that before only 8 error messages were issued, and now more than 10. So after the 10th error I answered "no" to interrupt messages output.

Yes, I haven't changed any code and hope that your programmers could understand the reason why generation of  correct directory name fails. 

Please confirm what language and region settings you're using on your Windows 7 64-bit computer; I expect it's Russian, but I want to be certain.

Many thanks for providing me with screenshots of the full set of script error messages you've encountered when trying to use Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 Service Pack 5 (build 270).

Please be assured that art:fs does not need to be replaced in any of the files included in the software installation. I do not encounter any script error messages when using Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 Service Pack 5 (build 270) on my Windows 10 64-bit computer with English language, and as you can see from this excerpt of the index.html file in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\ArtCAM 2017\HTML\start, art:fs is used throughout:

Notepad-artfs.png

I'll refer your reported issue to the Development team for further investigation, but I'm not aware of any separate reports of this issue from other customers working in any build of Autodesk ArtCAM 2017.

Kind regards,

Message 13 of 18
anpspb

Dear Dillon Moulder,

many thanks for your answer with screenshot of index.html file in Notepad++ editor in your system.

Yes, you're right, language of my Windows is Russian. 

Now I'm sure, that installation is not a reason of the errors we discuss here. We should better suppose that  there

is bad substitution of art:fs at execution time. And I never had similar problems with any other application.

Thank you for your report issue to the Development team, let's hope that soon we'll hear some news from the team.

Thank you once more for your assistance!

SY, Alexander

Message 14 of 18
dillon.moulder

Hi @anpspb,

@anpspb wrote:

language of my Windows is Russian. 

Now I'm sure, that installation is not a reason of the errors we discuss here. We should better suppose that  there

is bad substitution of art:fs at execution time. And I never had similar problems with any other application.

Many thanks for confirming that you are using Russian language on your Windows 7 computer. We have tested in Russian on a virtual Windows 7 machine, and did not encounter any script error messages when using Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 Service Pack 5 (build 270).

Please complete the following steps on your computer:

1. Shut down Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 Service Pack 5 (build 270).
  2. In Internet Explorer 11, click the Tools icon on the far-right, then select the Internet options menu option; the Internet Options dialog is displayed.
  3. Click the Security tab, followed by the Local Intranet icon.
  4. Adjust the slider to set the security level for this zone to Medium-low (as shown below).
  5. Click Apply.
  6. Click the Custom level button to display the Security Settings - Local Intranet Zone dialog.
  7. Make sure that the Scripting > Active scripting setting is set to Enable (as shown below).
  8. Click the Advanced tab, followed by the Reset button (as shown below).
  9. Restart Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 Service Pack 5 (build 270).

InternetOptions-Security.png

SecuritySettings-ActiveScripting.png 

InternetOptions-Reset.png 

Afterwards, please confirm if the same sequence of script error messages are displayed.

Kind regards,

Message 15 of 18
anpspb

Dear Dillon Moulder,

thank you for your advice! And sorry for delay with the answer because of need for some checks!

I tried to do all the steps you mentioned to install ArtCAM-2017 on another 64b PC under Win 8.1.

1.Main distribution file I have installed in  english to check the problem, then Serv. pack 5 was installed in Russian automatically.

Result: menu - in English, there were not script errs, but during the exit I saw a new error: "Autodesk DAP doesn't work" (se attachment)

2. After deleting this installation using windows uninstall process I started installation ArtCAM-2017 main distribution module once more, in Russian

Result: menu - in English, no script errors, error: "Autodesk DAP doesn't work" exists!

This time  I tried special key /L=ru in programs' shortcut to get Russian (I learnt this method in a forum) - but no effect, menu was in English.  

3. Now I have done a Windows restore to previous checkpoint  (before the first installation) and used Russian installation of ArtCAM.

Result: menu in English, no script errors,  error: "Autodesk DAP doesn't work" exists!

Using key /L=ru made menu to Russian during the next program start

BTW: I checked the settings in MS IE you wrote, these are OK!

After these installations there are 2 different ArtCAM data directories - in English and in Russian, e.g.  C:\Users\Public\Documents\Файлы ArtCAM\Toolpaths\

------------------------

At the old computer under Win 7 where I tried to install ArtCAM for the first time after checking MS IE settings nothing changed. There are script errors up to now. Moreover there is no MS IE 11 at the computer,  only MS IE 8. But as I remember there are no any requirements to the browser in the system where  ArtCAM-2017 installation to be set. 

----------

So we can sum it up: there are some internal errors (bad files?) in Windows-7 which don't allow to install ArtCAM properly.    

Hope you are able to make some comments on the problems including /L key which had not worked at step 2.

Thanks in advance! 

Message 16 of 18
dillon.moulder

Hi @anpspb,

@anpspb wrote:

1.Main distribution file I have installed in  english to check the problem, then Serv. pack 5 was installed in Russian automatically.

Result: menu - in English, there were not script errs, but during the exit I saw a new error: "Autodesk DAP doesn't work" (se attachment)

2. After deleting this installation using windows uninstall process I started installation ArtCAM-2017 main distribution module once more, in Russian

Result: menu - in English, no script errors, error: "Autodesk DAP doesn't work" exists!

This time  I tried special key /L=ru in programs' shortcut to get Russian (I learnt this method in a forum) - but no effect, menu was in English.  

3. Now I have done a Windows restore to previous checkpoint  (before the first installation) and used Russian installation of ArtCAM.

Result: menu in English, no script errors,  error: "Autodesk DAP doesn't work" exists!

Using key /L=ru made menu to Russian during the next program start

BTW: I checked the settings in MS IE you wrote, these are OK!

After these installations there are 2 different ArtCAM data directories - in English and in Russian, e.g.  C:\Users\Public\Documents\Файлы ArtCAM\Toolpaths\

------------------------

At the old computer under Win 7 where I tried to install ArtCAM for the first time after checking MS IE settings nothing changed. There are script errors up to now. Moreover there is no MS IE 11 at the computer,  only MS IE 8. But as I remember there are no any requirements to the browser in the system where  ArtCAM-2017 installation to be set. 

----------

So we can sum it up: there are some internal errors (bad files?) in Windows-7 which don't allow to install ArtCAM properly.    

Hope you are able to make some comments on the problems including /L key which had not worked at step 2.

Your reported Autodesk DAP error message refers to Autodesk's Desktop Analytics Program. Please confirm whether the Data collection and use dialog's I agree to data collection in desktop products for Autodesk analytics programs check box is selected in Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 Service Pack 5 (build 270) by selecting the Help > Desktop Analytics menu option.

Please confirm whether you have a ru folder in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\ArtCAM 2017\Exec/Language on your computer. Please find attached a zip file named ru.zip; please extract this archive to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\ArtCAM 2017\Exec/Language on your computer.

Right-click your Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 desktop shortcut and select the Properties context menu option. Please ensure that the Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 Properties dialog's Target box reads "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\ArtCAM 2017\Exec\ArtCAMPro.exe" /lang=ru as shown below:

AutodeskArtCAM2017Properties-Russian.png

Installing the attached ru folder and setting your desktop shortcut's Target to that described should ensure that the Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 software interface is displayed in Russian, and that the software's documentation is also displayed in Russian.

Although it does not seem to be documented in the system requirements for the Autodesk ArtCAM 2017 product range, please ensure that you have Internet Explorer 11 installed on your Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 computers. The Autodesk ArtCAM software interface utilizes Internet Explorer, so it needs to be installed on both of your computers.

Kind regards,

Message 17 of 18
dean9ZYGS
in reply to: meisbren

Hello,

I am the Dean of Education at ATX Hackerspace, a community fablab in Austin TX with 200+ members. 

We have a range of Autodesk Education products installed, and I'm also looking for an Education version of ArtCAM Standard so that we can continue to teach using the full range of Autodesk solutions.  

We have four laptops in our classroom, and another two machines in our computer lab set up with Autodesk Autocad / Fusion 360 / Inventor.  Our classes cover 3D design, and we're eager to get started teaching CAD->CAM for our small ( shapeoko ) and large ( 5'x10' ) CNC mills.   

Is there a timeline for the release of ArtCAM into the Education community?

Sincerely,

Martin Bogomolni

Message 18 of 18
prashant.gurav
in reply to: dean9ZYGS

Hi @dean9ZYGS,

Welcome to the Autodesk Community and ArtCAM Forum!

@dean9ZYGS wrote:

I am the Dean of Education at ATX Hackerspace, a community fablab in Austin TX with 200+ members. 

We have a range of Autodesk Education products installed, and I'm also looking for an Education version of ArtCAM Standard so that we can continue to teach using the full range of Autodesk solutions.  

We have four laptops in our classroom, and another two machines in our computer lab set up with Autodesk Autocad / Fusion 360 / Inventor.  Our classes cover 3D design, and we're eager to get started teaching CAD->CAM for our small ( shapeoko ) and large ( 5'x10' ) CNC mills.   

Is there a timeline for the release of ArtCAM into the Education community?

As mentioned hereIf you are part of the school faculty, and have an enquiry about educational licenses for Autodesk ArtCAM Standard or Autodesk ArtCAM Premium for your school, then I recommend that you contact Scott Ingram of Autodesk on 1-877-335-2261.

You can compare the different products in the Autodesk ArtCAM range here.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Thanks in advance for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Prashant.G

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report