Community
ArtCAM Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ArtCAM Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ArtCAM topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4th axis work with Artcam

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
kevinGCFLE
2360 Views, 5 Replies

4th axis work with Artcam

Hello. My name is Kevin and I am new to Autodesk and Artcam. I have a perspective client who has a 4th axis that attaches to his CNC machine but hasn't had time to learn to use it. He uses Artcam for his cam software. I would like to know if I can use it for this purpose and where I can find a tutorial or documentation on how to do this? I have experience with the cad part, just need some guidance in the tooling part. Thanks.
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dillon.moulder
in reply to: kevinGCFLE

Hi @kevinGCFLE,

Welcome to the Autodesk Community and the ArtCAM Forum.

@kevinGCFLE wrote:
I am new to Autodesk and Artcam. I have a perspective client who has a 4th axis that attaches to his CNC machine but hasn't had time to learn to use it. He uses Artcam for his cam software. I would like to know if I can use it for this purpose and where I can find a tutorial or documentation on how to do this? I have experience with the cad part, just need some guidance in the tooling part.

What version and build of ArtCAM is your prospective client working in? To confirm this, please ask them to select the Help > About Autodesk ArtCAM menu option in their ArtCAM software. For example, Autodesk ArtCAM Premium 2018 (Version: 2018.1.2 Build: 2017-10-26-1346-379e47cbe).

Autodesk ArtCAM Premium supports rotary machining. However, at this moment in time, toolpaths are 3-axis; they do not utilise a fourth axis. You can compare the different products in the Autodesk ArtCAM range here.

Thanks in advance for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Message 3 of 6
surecue
in reply to: dillon.moulder

Hi,

It was mentioned that ArtCAM Premium supports rotary machining, how does it do that when the toolpaths only support 3 axis at the moment? Is there a solution to assist in engraving with the 4th axis turning at the same time?

Thank you.

Message 4 of 6
Gary.B
in reply to: surecue

The quick and the short of it is....

When creating the rotary model you choose which axis to wrap on (x or y depending on your indexer directional location)

The Rotary Indexer is normally designated the A axis, when outputting your toolpath to the post p you will select the corresponding post eg rotary X2A or rotary Y2A.

This axis output is converted for the rotary so you are still only using 3 axis.

Rotary indexer, keyword index meaning the 4th axis indexer does not spin continuously like a lathe but index's the amount of the stepover

Gary

Carveco Distributor USA; Legacy ArtCAM Training & Support
Beckwith Decor Products
Message 5 of 6
surecue
in reply to: kevinGCFLE

Hi Gary,

Appreciate the prompt response. So basically the 4th axis will turn accordingly with X or Y axis depending on the processor (X2A or Y2A) you choose?

I tried previously choosing X2A but in inches, which did not really work. Now with the help of a user in the forum, I downloaded the processor in mm. Could it be because of the processor I have chosen previously that it didn’t really work out?

Thank you.
Message 6 of 6
Gary.B
in reply to: surecue

@surecue wrote:

I tried previously choosing X2A but in inches, which did not really work. Now with the help of a user in the forum, I downloaded the processor in mm. Could it be because of the processor I have chosen previously that it didn’t really work out?

Yes using the incorrect post p will not give the correct output. If your working in MM then you need to use the MM postp

good luck with your project

Gary

Carveco Distributor USA; Legacy ArtCAM Training & Support
Beckwith Decor Products

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report