Community
ArtCAM Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ArtCAM Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ArtCAM topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D finishing tool path mostly cuts air

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
tullocklg
958 Views, 6 Replies

3D finishing tool path mostly cuts air

In artcam 2017 pk 5, when I do a 3D roughing and finishing tool path, the finish tool path starts as if there hadn't been a rough cut. So it cuts mostly air for an hour before it begins to cut wood. What did I do wrong?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tullocklg
in reply to: tullocklg

To clarify: I am using Artcam Standard 2017 service pack 5. The finishing cut should already know what has already been cut and should just cut the 0.02 that is left. Otherwise Artcam is of no use to me. I cut a similar relief on Easel with my old x-carve in 25 minutes using the beta version of roughing and finishing. This one has taken 4+ hours on a bigger machine and is still cutting.

Message 3 of 7
dillon.moulder

Hi @tullocklg,

Welcome to the Autodesk Community and the ArtCAM Forum!

@tullocklg wrote:

In artcam 2017 pk 5, when I do a 3D roughing and finishing tool path, the finish tool path starts as if there hadn't been a rough cut. So it cuts mostly air for an hour before it begins to cut wood. What did I do wrong?

What are your toolpath settings? Please attach your ArtCAM Model file (*.art) when replying to this post so that we can investigate further.

Thanks in advance for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Message 4 of 7
tullocklg
in reply to: dillon.moulder

Here is my model file.

Message 5 of 7
shirish.bansude

Hi @tullocklg

@tullocklg wrote:

Here is my model file.

Thank you for sharing your Wolf scene relief.art file.

In your Finishing toolpath, the Multiple Z Passes area's Do Multiple Z passes check box is selected; this forces ArtCAM to create the Finishing toolpath with multiple passes.

Please deselect the Do Multiple Z passes check box, and then re-calculate the Wolf scene Relief 1 toolpath. You will then achieve the required result of a single finishing pass, and passes in the air will no longer be created.

Please refer to the screencast below that shows the necessary steps to achieve your required result:

If the provided information is helpful to you, please be kind enough to click the Accept As Solution button below. Alternatively, reply back to me and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thanks for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Shirish.B
Message 6 of 7
tullocklg
in reply to: shirish.bansude

That did the trick. I don't remember seeing anything about that in the training videos. Thank you for your help. 

Message 7 of 7
shirish.bansude

Hi @tullocklg

@tullocklg wrote:

That did the trick. I don't remember seeing anything about that in the training videos. Thank you for your help. 

I'm glad to hear that the provided information helped.

Thank you for accepting my response as a solution.

Thank you for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Shirish.B

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report