Community
ArtCAM Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ArtCAM Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ArtCAM topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 sided machining

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
1733 Views, 10 Replies

2 sided machining

I apologize if this has been asked before. Is there a good tutorial for 2 sided machining in ArtCAM 2017? What I'am wanting to do is carve a pocket on one side of the design and then do an engraving on the rear. Thank you in advance for any help on this.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
shirish.bansude
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

@Anonymous wrote:

I apologize if this has been asked before. Is there a good tutorial for 2 sided machining in ArtCAM 2017? What I'm wanting to do is carve a pocket on one side of the design and then do an engraving on the rear. Thank you in advance for any help on this.

Unfortunately, I've been unable to locate a tutorial explaining the two-sided machining process when using Autodesk ArtCAM Standard 2017. Therefore, I recommend that you create and submit a case from your Autodesk Account.

When submitting your case, please attach your ArtCAM Model file (*.art). This will enable us to make recommendations for machining the part.

Thank you for your time and cooperation.

Kind regards,

Shirish.B
Message 3 of 11
bgoodman4
in reply to: shirish.bansude

I am sure 2 sided machining was discussed on the old forum, a search there may help even though its not going to be for the current version of AC.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: bgoodman4

I stumbled across something from that forum but not necessarily what I'm looking for. I understand how to set up my machine for 2 sided machining, its setting up an ArtCAM file to do it is where I'm struggling. I guess I will have to do 2 separate files, that's the only way I have found so far to do it.

Message 5 of 11
dabaron2

You only need one file, but two relief layers, two vector layers, be it Standard or Premium. Face: create vectors, including a border surrounding the model.

Call the model 2" thick, 6" x 6", use a blank 2" x 8" x8", selecting center origin. First layer assign tool paths, fasten material down, set material origin to match file origin, set material thickness for 1", , mill tool paths for the face as set up. NO profile tool path. Using a sharpie, mark the material location on the spoil board.

Back: Vector layer / relief layer for the flip side, set up model, text, art, save, flip material right to left in exactly same position on the table as for the front, fasten. Model thickness for the back is 1",as is the front. Create a profile tool path for the back, adding bridges to hold the part in place. Better yet, do a profile tool path for the front using bridges too.

NOTE: you don't need to make a back and front relief as a jeweler might, nor do you need two files. You're not making a 'project' as jeweler might (terminology correct?) All you're doing is running a front relief, flipping it for the 'back' and milling another 'front'.

If a screen shot would help, let me know. Hopefully the instructions are helpful, it's an easy, straight forward process.

Danny

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: dabaron2

If you have some screenshots of this that would be great. I really appreciate the help.

Message 7 of 11
dabaron2

Didn't show a view of the bridges which consist of:  1st run 1" deep, face / profile 4 bridges 1.5" long 2D, zero depth for bridge, .9375 for non bridge area.

Back profile bridges depth 2" deep w/ 4 bridges 1.5" long, .25 thick, 3d. Flip right to left / left to right. 1 or the other.

As long as you don't alter the location configuration setting the configuration - length / height, 4 bridges, the back bridges will be in the same location as the front. You don't want it any other way.

Danny

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

I think I got it. I will just need to mess with it some more. I will admit I don't know how the Front Relief And Back Relief tabs work, but what you have given me may work for what Im wanting to do.

Message 9 of 11
dabaron2

It's not tabs, it's layers. You create a layer, name it front, and create your front model on that layer. Create a NEW layer, name it back, turn off front layer, and create back model on that layer.

Likewise, toolpathing is done on respective layers.

Check under "Help" menu, and see if that describes vector and relief layers.

Other than flipping the material front to back on the table, you're doing the same operation as normal, just that the flipping the material, gives you a front and back.

Danny

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

i am also trying to learn two sided relief.

i see that the last post was some 7 months ago. were you successful in learning how to do 2 sided? did you find a tutorial? do you have any advice(i don't want to re-invent the wheel...)?

jacques

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

The video from Dabaron2 that is above is helpful. I have not mastered it by any means, in fact I will go to Fusion360 because I find it easier to do in there. I need to revisit this again to get it mastered.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report