Community
Arnold GPU Forum
General discussions about GPU rendering with Arnold.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FumeFX Max 2022 Arnold Black Render

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
samjam_3d
671 Views, 6 Replies

FumeFX Max 2022 Arnold Black Render

Any particular trick that needs to be used to get Arnold to actually render FumeFX in Max 2022?

I have the Arnold Volume Shader applied and the render is set to Arnold in FumeFX but I get nothing but a black frame.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
CiroCardoso3v
in reply to: samjam_3d

I don't have much experience with FumeFX and not sure if it is supported by Arnold. Can you export a VDB from FumeFX? That is the workflow I use with PhoenixFD.

Lead Enviroment Artist @Axis Studios

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
samjam_3d
in reply to: CiroCardoso3v

Yes Fume will export out VDB. But loading the VDB to an Arnold volume and rendering it gives... very inaccurate renders.

The smoke is fine, but the fire is just red as hell with no detail at all.

I swear I've had nothing but issues with Arnold/FumeFX. I don't know if it's Arnold, or FumeFX, or BOTH but nothing but problem after problem.

So now I'm AGAIN rendering scanline at more then 10 minutes a frame because Arnold can't get it done.

Man I miss Mental Ray.

Message 4 of 7
CiroCardoso3v

Could be wrong, but with Phoenix, you need to increase the VDB quality. By default, will save a low res.

Lead Enviroment Artist @Axis Studios

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
samjam_3d

Unfortunately that's not it. Exact same scene on the intel machine renders perfectly in Arnold and renders a black frame on the AMD machine.

Same FumeFX version, same Arnold version (MaxtoA) same Max version.

Message 6 of 7
Stephen.Blair

Arnold has no cpu-specific code and any AMD/Intel differences would be hard to notice, because it's down to very slight numerical differences in reciprocal square root operations  (that’s a 1/sqrt operation). On both AMD and Intel this rsqrt operation is guaranteed to be accurate up to 12 bits, but they don’t have to be wrong in the same way. For instance, here’s a real world example:

rsqrt(2) will produce the following results on AMD and Intel:
AMD: 0.707031250
Intel: 0.706787109

I don't know anything about FumeFX, but I assume it ships its own shader or procedural. So if it's really an AMD versus Intel thing, I wonder if it's in that code.

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 7 of 7
samjam_3d

The odd thing is... even when I render out a VDB from Fume and bring it into Arnold I have issues.

So maybe even the VDB export of Fume is somehow different on AMD than Intel?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report