Community
Arnold for Maya Forum
Rendering with Arnold in Maya using the MtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

template file not working for osl shader UI

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
Anonymous
1709 Views, 28 Replies

template file not working for osl shader UI

hey guys, I'm making an UI for my osl shader and everything compiles fine if I put just one control to the template file. but as soon as I put another control, the template file is no longer compiled by maya...don't know why........

this is the link to the doc.: https://docs.arnoldrenderer.com/display/A5AFMUG/Creating+a+Shader

it works fine for just one parameter.....asa I do self.addControl(bla bla bla) on another line it doesn't work

Tags (2)
Labels (2)
28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

do you know how can i compile all these files(template, mtd and osl) without restarting maya?

cause right now I'm into a recursive process of restarting maya...xd

Message 22 of 29
Anonymous

no way, you have to restart Maya each time you change the code

Message 23 of 29
Anonymous

If maya.classification STRING "shader/surface" you get automatically normalCamera & hardwareColor.
So you have to use self.suppress!

Message 24 of 29
Anonymous

ahhhh! got it....thanks for that

Message 25 of 29
Johanalv

Hey, is it possible to share how you got the checkbox working with osl/template file? Can't seem to find the way. Thanks

Message 26 of 29
rachid_1
in reply to: Johanalv

Hi
You have to change "string widget" to "boolean" in your osl shader
like this:
string widget = "boolean",

Message 27 of 29
Johanalv
in reply to: rachid_1

Thanks! That actually works. btw, do you if it's possible to add a drop down menu as a widget? Like this:
drop_down.jpg
Currently I have:
string widget = "popup" and just shows a text input where I have to manually input the text.

Message 28 of 29
rachid_1
in reply to: Johanalv

I asked the same question almost 4 years ago, but no answer! any way in Houdini you do that in .mtd file by adding this lines:
houdini.type STRING "menu:replace:menu"
houdini.menu STRING "Normal;Normal;Average;Average;Darken;Darken;Multiply;Multiply;Color Burn;Color Burn;Linear Burn;Linear Burn;Lighten;Lighten;Screen;Screen;Color Dodge;Color Dodge;Linear Dodge;Linear Dodge;Spotlight;Spotlight;Spotlight Blend;Spotlight Blend;Overlay;Overlay;Hard Light;Hard Light;Soft Light;Soft Light;Pin Light;Pin Light;Hard Mix;Hard Mix;Difference;Difference;Exclusion;Exclusion;Subtract;Subtract;Divide;Divide;Hue;Hue;Saturation;Saturation;Color;Color;Value;Value "

houdini.jpg

What you can do in Maya is add "annotation", in aeTemplate, that way you have a popup showing a list, but you have to enable:
"display ToolClips" in Maya Preference/Help/Popup Help
some things like this:
annotation="Normal, Average, Darken, ...")

maya.jpg

Message 29 of 29
Johanalv

Thanks a lot, guess that's currently a limitation of Arnold's osl implementation. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report