Community
Arnold for Maya Forum
Rendering with Arnold in Maya using the MtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Render Layers - Material Override vs Shader Override

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
794 Views, 2 Replies

Render Layers - Material Override vs Shader Override

I am learning how to use Render Layers in Maya 2022 and have come across the Shader override and the Material override. If I read correctly, the Material is simply the node that contains all the descriptive info/shader network/files that is applied to the geo in the scene. The shader is built into the material and describes the pbr/exclusive attributes contained within the the selected material. However, if you want to say, create and AO render layer - I see in tutorials ( such as in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DxRULTiXDg&t=498s 3:55) you would apply a shader override vs a material override. I'm a bit confused then - I can see how AO could be a shader bc it has specific attributes unique to it - but if it can be directly applied to an object, isn't it equivalent to a material? When do you use a material override vs a shader override?

Tags (2)
Labels (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Stephen.Blair
in reply to: Anonymous

From the Maya docs:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2020/ENU/Maya-Ren...

Override the material applied to the objects in a collection in one of two ways: create a material override to override the shading group, or a shader override to override the surface shader.

A material override replaces the SG node (the shading engine aka shading group), so a material override replaces the surface shader AND the displacement shader

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Ah, thank you. I'd completely overlooked the essentials of Shader groups. That clears much up!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report