Community
Arnold for Maya Forum
Rendering with Arnold in Maya using the MtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya render crashes when rendering Arnold Volume with GPU

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
giandosopaolo
2079 Views, 9 Replies

Maya render crashes when rendering Arnold Volume with GPU

Hi

I am trying to render a arnold volume with the GPU. The step size is quite large, (1)

I always obtain a warning and then this crash.

// Warning: 00:00:59 4516MB WARNING | [imagers] forcing box filter due to usage of OptiX/OIDN imager

// Error: 00:05:59 6466MB ERROR | [gpu] an error happened during rendering. OptiX error is: Unknown error (Details: Function "_rtContextLaunch2D" caught exception: Encountered a CUDA error: cudaDriver().CuEventSynchronize( m_event ) returned (700): Illegal address, file: <internal>, line: 0)
GPU 0 had 23416MB free before rendering started and 19904MB free when crash occurred

If then I try again I obtain another error:

// Error: 00:09:39 6425MB ERROR | [gpu] Fatal GPU error occurred, please restart the host application

My GPU drivers are up to date and I am using a 3090, so the GPU power shouldn't be an issue. 

Any idea of what might cause the problem and how to fix it?

Tags (3)
Labels (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
thiago.ize
in reply to: giandosopaolo

Are you using the latest arnold (https://www.arnoldrenderer.com/download/)? If so, this is a generic crash message and we don't know what could be triggering it. If you can share a simplified version of your scene that crashes, we can investigate it.

Message 3 of 10
giandosopaolo
in reply to: thiago.ize

Yes, I tested it with the last version and it still crashes. 

I simplified the scene as much as possible, but since is still relatively large, I uploaded it on Wetransfer. 

You will be able to download it from this link here for the next 7 days.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/5618b75279ec7a7e5fada55cdb1d461020220519001241/e83b3728ee28c0abce32...

And thanks for helping me out! 🙂

Message 4 of 10
thiago.ize

Thanks for the scene! I can reproduce it and created an internal ticket ARNOLD-12319 for fixing it.

Message 5 of 10
giandosopaolo
in reply to: thiago.ize

Thanks!

How does it work? Where do I need to go to check the ticket progress? 😀

Message 6 of 10

@giandosopaolo wrote:

Thanks!

How does it work? Where do I need to go to check the ticket progress? 😀

ARNOLD tickets are not public, it's an internal Jira instance for Autodesk employees.

You can check the release notes (of future updates) for the ticket.

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 7 of 10

I am a bit lost.. does it mean that there is no current fix? Is this a bug? Any sort of information on how to make it work would help me a lot!

Message 8 of 10

@giandosopaolo wrote:

I am not sure I understand. How do I check the progress of the ticket? Where do I do this?

You cannot check the progress of the ticket. Arnold tickets are not in a public ticketing system. Only Autodesk employees can see them. Maya, 3ds Max, Revit, AutoCAD, Flame, and so on are all the same. We use a ticketing system that is internal to Autodesk.

The release notes for Arnold include all the fixed tickets.

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 9 of 10

I agree, same issue here. Maya restart can solve the issue but of course is not so comfortable...
MtoA 5.1.1.1 and in the previous versions are the same.

Message 10 of 10
thiago.ize

This I believe is fixed in the arnold core 7.1.2.1 we released today. You can download it from https://www.arnoldrenderer.com/download/.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report