Community
Arnold for Houdini Forum
Rendering with Arnold in Houdini and Solaris using the HtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

strange error when exporting USD files through PDG

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
francoislord
221 Views, 2 Replies

strange error when exporting USD files through PDG

I am exporting usd files through PDG to be rendered later with husk. On my machine at the office, everything works well. On my personal machine and on my client's machine, we get an error related to arnold, and the export fails.

[23:19:39.788] ERROR: The attempted operation failed.
Error:       Cook error in input: /tasks/topnet1/Create_USD_Scenes1/stage/OUTPUT
Error:       Invalid source /tasks/topnet1/Create_USD_Scenes1/stage/arnold_rendersettings1/selectaovs
Error:       Python error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 15, in <module>
  File "C:\Users/Francois Lord/htoa/htoa-6.2.1.1_rca64926_houdini-19.5.569/htoa-6.2.1.1_rca64926_houdini-19.5.569/scripts/python\htoa\lop.py", line 30, in getAovInfoDict
    aov_menus = htoa.properties.aovMenu()
  File "C:\Users/Francois Lord/htoa/htoa-6.2.1.1_rca64926_houdini-19.5.569/htoa-6.2.1.1_rca64926_houdini-19.5.569/scripts/python\htoa\properties.py", line 656, in aovMenu
    for node in hou.nodeType(hou.vopNodeTypeCategory(), 'arnold::toon').instances():
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'instances'

Would anyone know what's up with this? Everything works well when I export manually with the usd ROP, but through PDG it errors out.

I'm using htoa 6.2.1.1 because that is the version supported by the cloud render farm we use. 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Looks to me like whatever this separate process is (launched by PDG) doesn't have quite the right environment for HtoA (eg HOUDINI_PATH or something like that)

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 3 of 3
francoislord
in reply to: francoislord

That was my understanding. I verified the environment variables, the paths, etc. I spent the entire day on this problem. 

I finally found it. HtoA installs to your home folder by default. That folder is C:\Users\<your full name> on a default Windows. But at the office, it's somewhere on the network, and instead of my full name, it's my username. It turns out that my full name has a space in it (and so does my client's) and that screws the environment variables using that path when PDG launches its sub process. So I changed the PDG node to run "in-process" instead and now all is good.

The moral of this story: never use an OS that adds spaces to its default folders.

I despise Windows. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report