Community
Arnold for Houdini Forum
Rendering with Arnold in Houdini and Solaris using the HtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange error adding simple geometry to scene

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
stevegkennedy
233 Views, 4 Replies

Strange error adding simple geometry to scene

If I open up a new project and just try to add a sphere (for example) to the scene, I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:/Program Files/Arnold/htoa-6.1.3.1_r90d42a5_houdini-19.5.303/scripts/obj/geo.py", line 3, in <module>
    htoa.properties.initArnoldProperties(kwargs['node'])
  File "C:\Program Files/Arnold/htoa-6.1.3.1_r90d42a5_houdini-19.5.303/scripts/python\htoa\properties.py", line 167, in initArnoldProperties
    addArnoldProperties(node)
  File "C:\Program Files/Arnold/htoa-6.1.3.1_r90d42a5_houdini-19.5.303/scripts/python\htoa\properties.py", line 111, in addArnoldProperties
    node.parm('ar_matte').setExpression('ch("vm_matte")')
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'setExpression'

In addition, all the properties have disappeared from the ROP:

stevegkennedy_0-1661958639548.png

Any ideas what's going on here?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

This kind of thing is almost always an environment problem.

So, check

• houdini.env, or if you use packages, the json file
  • Help > About Houdini > Show Details

Remove other stuff and make sure HtoA works. Then add back the other stuff.

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 3 of 5

With an empty environment file, everything works fine. But with just these lines in the .env it's all broken:

HOUDINI_DSO_ERROR = 2

PATH = "$PATH;C:/Program Files/Arnold/htoa-6.1.3.1_r90d42a5_houdini-19.5.303/scripts/bin"
HOUDINI_PATH = "$HOUDINI_PATH;C:/Program Files/Arnold/htoa-6.1.3.1_r90d42a5_houdini-19.5.303;&"

The strangest thing is that everything was working fine until a few hours ago. Now I am suddenly getting this error too: Houdini Console errors 

The only thing I've done which might have caused an issue I suppose is that I ran the Redshift installer. Though I am not currently using Redshift, I don't know if it's somehow done something to some files somewhere.

Maybe a full reinstall might be in order?!

Message 4 of 5

HTOA should be at the start of HOUDINI_PATH

Also, I don't know what's in $HOUDINI_PATH. Is & being used twice when HOUDINI_PATH is expanded? That can cause problems too.

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 5 of 5

Ah OK, yeah I did have some lines for adding Redshift to the env but I removed them, but had left the $HOUDINI_PATH variable like that. Removing that seems to have fixed it, thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report