Community
Arnold for Houdini Forum
Rendering with Arnold in Houdini and Solaris using the HtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solaris AOV - Arnold cheat sheet?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
am_wilkins
897 Views, 12 Replies

Solaris AOV - Arnold cheat sheet?

Hey everyone,

While doing research I've noticed that setting up the Arnold AOV inside Solaris is quite a manual setup. (Of course ideal to automate this) Having to set the Data Type, Format and Filter etc. for each one.

Red Shift have this great "cheat sheet" to assist with the setup, but noted that there is nothing for Arnold?

Link: Houdini Solaris AOVs 

Does anyone know of a similar documentation for Arnold?

Or more information on these Data Types.

I've only found the "Render Var" docs, but the information isn't nearly as clear:
Houdini Solaris - Render Var 

If the Red Shift docs are referenced matching to the Arnold equivalent AOV, would that work?

All the best.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
am_wilkins
in reply to: am_wilkins

PS. For those who perhaps read this post and shared similar annoyance with the approach to AOV.

In the new update from Arnold (HtoA 6.2.1.0), a new Arnold Render Settings node has been created which pretty much solves the above problem of handling AOV.

• Arnold Render Settings LOP: A new LOP in Solaris allows you to quickly edit Arnold render settings, such as AOVs, cryptomatte, and more. HTOA-1524

Regards,

Andrew

Message 3 of 13
info

tested today and it's finally easier to create Aovs', I didn't find any solution to render out RGB per Light group. any idea? thanks 

Message 4 of 13
Stephen.Blair
in reply to: info

@info wrote:

tested today and it's finally easier to create Aovs', I didn't find any solution to render out RGB per Light group. any idea? thanks 

You have to set up each light group AOV individually. There's no way to get them all with just RGBA_*
If that is what you are asking?

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 5 of 13
info
in reply to: Stephen.Blair

Tried to add new renderVar node with  ‘RGBA_ key’ but doesn’t work. 

Message 6 of 13
Stephen.Blair

You have to use the full LPE for the light group, and give the light a Light Group name

light_group_aov.jpg

// Stephen Blair
Message 7 of 13
am_wilkins

There is an additional problem with this, if you're using the new "Arnold Render Settings" node (and most people would want to do this) then it doesn't seem possible to append any custom render var to that Arnold Render Settings "Render Product"?

ie. placing a new "Render Var" before or after the "Arnold Render Settings" node and adding the custom AOV to the same prim path doesn't appear to work. Unless there is another way?

01.jpg

Ideally, the "Arnold Render Settings" node could be updated to allow custom AOV to be added to it...

Karma Example:
This method looks cool, because you don't have to have a tool or setup support which will automatically generate all the AOV you need based on the LG names—just does it all for you. But even the old "Arnold ROP" method would be great.
02.jpg

All the best,

Andrew

Message 8 of 13
info

hi, working fine on my side !

info_0-1682333372666.png

Message 9 of 13
am_wilkins

Great, that's good news.

Yeah a bit of a work-around? Since you're avoiding the new "Arnold Render Settings" node—but it works which is good!

And at a bigger scale, we'd require some extensive "Render Var" setup for artists. (Why I'm angling for a better out of of box solution from Arnold)

Message 10 of 13
info

you are right, it seems it doesn't get the Arnold render vars  if you use "Arnold render Settings" That's weird!

Message 11 of 13
am_wilkins

Hello,

Just bumping this thread to see if there is any progress from Arnold crew on a solution for adding Light Group AOV within the new "Arnold Render Settings" node.

As far as I can see, we'd simply need to be able to change the "Source Type" to "LPE" on a newly created AOV and that should solve the problem?

arnold_render_settings.jpg

Ideally however (as mentioned above) if we do have a better solution from Arnold to adding Light Groups based on all the LPE tags on lights in the scene automatically (Skip over anything that doesn't had a tag) that would be awesome!

We shouldn't have to have an artist create all of the AOV manually.

All the best,
amwilkins

Message 12 of 13
Stephen.Blair

Hi

For reference, the ticket for this is HTOA-2205 "Support light group AOVs in the Arnold Render Settings LOP"

// Stephen Blair
Message 13 of 13
am_wilkins

Thank you!
That's great news 👍🏻

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report