Community
Arnold for Houdini Forum
Rendering with Arnold in Houdini and Solaris using the HtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-GPU Session with H20 Clone feature

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
mgraves3
281 Views, 6 Replies

Multi-GPU Session with H20 Clone feature

Hi All, after reading the 7.2.5 release noes - I noticed that Multi-GPU Session was added, so I immediately thought of the new Clone feature of H20 - for simultaneous rendering on the GPU, but I could not get it to work.

Granted, I'm totally new to Arnold, but am curious about how multi-gpu session rendering works and looking for a Houdini example of it working.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Stephen.Blair
in reply to: mgraves3

Doesn't Clone launch separate processes?

Multi-GPU sessions means that you can have multiple GPU renders going in a single process. For example, thumbnails and a render view at the same time.

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 3 of 7
mgraves3
in reply to: Stephen.Blair

Yes indeed, and that's what I was afraid of - render sessions must originate from the same process.  Clone launches a unique Houdini session (to render from) in the background.

So, I actually considered this might be the case, and started researching multiple render session launched from TOPs - which all originate from the same Houdini process.

As long as the scene can fit into VRAM multiple times, this should work.

This feature (simultaneous rendering) was a huge deal during the H20 Launch, as Karma XPU handles this effortlessly.

Message 4 of 7
mgraves3

I had a chance to speak with SideFX about this feature, and they expressed that the 3rd party Houdini plugin would need to add support for Clone, similar to how Redshift3D is adding support for the Clone feature.

Is this (an update to the Arnold for Houdini plugin to support Clone) within the realm of possibility by Autodesk?

Message 5 of 7
Stephen.Blair

So you cannot render with CPU and Clone Control Panel? 
I was just doing that last week. And if you can do it with CPU, why not GPU?

// Stephen Blair
Message 6 of 7
mgraves3

Can you possibly provide a working sample scene that I can interrogate?

Using only a Cube primitive, I attempted (3) Clones with Arnold CPU, none of them launched successfully, and all triggered a popup Error message:

"This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized.  Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: minimal, offscreen, webgl, windows"

Win11 and RTX 3080 (if that matters).

Message 7 of 7
Stephen.Blair

@mgraves3 wrote:

Can you possibly provide a working sample scene that I can interrogate?

Using only a Cube primitive, I attempted (3) Clones with Arnold CPU, none of them launched successfully, and all triggered a popup Error message:

"This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized.  Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: minimal, offscreen, webgl, windows"

Win11 and RTX 3080 (if that matters).

I get those same pop-ups, but that doesn't stop the actual renders. There's nothing special about the scene.

// Stephen Blair

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report