Community
Arnold for Houdini Forum
Rendering with Arnold in Houdini and Solaris using the HtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material X losing material and requiring restart

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
am_wilkins
86 Views, 2 Replies

Material X losing material and requiring restart

Hi,

I've begun some testing using Material X shaders in Solaris.

Frustratingly I've noticed that even with a simple setup (mtlx image node into mtlx standard surface) if I adjust any sliders on the mtlx standard surface node while in "IPR" the ipr session will lose the material and display pink until I do a "Restart Render".

arnold_materialX_solaris_issue.png

arnold_materialX_solaris_issue_nodes.png

This doesn't happen with Karma.

Already seemly broken... anyone else having this issue?

What is the state of Material X in Solaris?

Has anyone decided to build matX materials instead?

Additionally, using Material X and even with a USD Preview Surface in combination connected to a Collect node the textures won't show in the view-port which is another problem at least from Solaris side.

Edit: When using UDIMs 

all the best,

amwilkins

--

Houdini Core Version 20.0.590
Arnold Core: 7.2.5.1

HotA: 6.2.5.1

CPU: AMD Ryzen TR 3990x

RAM: 128GB
GPU: NVIDIA RTX A4000

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
BigRoy
in reply to: am_wilkins

Reading your edit - this only occurs with MaterialX + UDIM textures? Or do you have different reproducable scenarios?

How are you setting the UDIM paths, with <UDIM> in the filename?

HtoA 6.2.5.2 has just been released - it doesn't seem to have fixes related to this but it might be worth just testing if this is also reproducable then.

Message 3 of 3
am_wilkins
in reply to: BigRoy

Hi,

I should have some time for further testing, but the results now seem to be quite buggy.

I am using <UDIM> in the file path. Just quickly checking with the "Arnold Material Builder", arnold image + standard surface nodes etc. the results still appears to be the same. (Textures not showing in view port)
Still possible not related to UDIMS.

An example of what I'm seeing, same material X setups and assignment methods etc. but only some of the textures show while others remain black. Skin, Shirt, etc. were all UDIMS so I was assuming that could be the issue but even pathing to just one of the tiles. (1001 for example) doesn't change the viewport result.

viewport_textures_example.png

Will report back if I find a fix for it.

amwilkins

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums