Community
Arnold for Houdini Forum
Rendering with Arnold in Houdini and Solaris using the HtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kick UV pass for USD input

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
apatelKNPJP
241 Views, 6 Replies

Kick UV pass for USD input

Is there a recommended approach to extracting UV pass via Kick for USD input? I'm able to render it within HtoA via primvar "st", but I don't notice a way to achieve that via Kick since it doesn't have an AOV for primvars? Am I missing something here or is there a different approach?

Tags (1)
Labels (4)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Stephen.Blair
in reply to: apatelKNPJP

kick doesn't create AOVs, they have to already be set up in the exported file.

Best you can do is use kick -is -sm -cm 

kick_uv.png

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 3 of 7
apatelKNPJP
in reply to: Stephen.Blair

Thank you! Perhaps I should have phrased the question more specifically. I am composing a USD file via Solaris which includes a UV pass. It renders properly with the UV pass (for example below) inside Solaris.

27a6235e-632d-47d2-b3e6-0c661f2115f6.jpg

However, this USD file when rendered through Kick renders all AOVs except the UV pass. This USD file is saved directly via USD ROP in Solaris. My guess is that the USD (see screenshot for the UV pass) contains Hydra or Houdini specific assumptions which Kick isn't able to resolve or perhaps something else is amiss with my workflow?

Screenshot 2022-09-07 141806.jpg

Message 4 of 7
Stephen.Blair

Can you post an Arnold log?

arnold-usd supports the st primvar for UVs (unless you're using some really old version).

if you check a usda (or resave as ass with kick -i example.usd -resave example.ass), are the UVs there?

// Stephen Blair
Message 5 of 7
apatelKNPJP

Sure, attached is the output log from the kick of the USD. Arnold version in use is 7.1.2.1

I did resave the USD as .ass file with the AOV section as the below screenshot

Screenshot 2022-09-07 145108.jpg

Screenshot 2022-09-07 145537.jpg

but it yielded a similar output with an empty AOV with perhaps a bit strangely named "st" channel (instead of UV, as one would expect)Screenshot 2022-09-07 145251.jpg

Message 6 of 7
Stephen.Blair

The AOV is rendered, so it looks like there's no st values being picked up.

Maybe you can send a simple test scene to support at arnoldrenderer dot com? or upload here?

// Stephen Blair
Message 7 of 7
apatelKNPJP

Thanks, I emailed the support with test files and further details. Thank you for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report